Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotors on a 2001 trans am ws6

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors on a 2001 trans am ws6

Did stock 2001 ws6 TAs come with drilled and slotted front rotors?

Ive been wondering this for a while since im the 5th owner and thought maybe someone could have changed them out.

Thanks

Last edited by 2001BlkWS6; 06-04-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, those are probably power slots or something better, be happpy
Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Trust me I am haha. Now I just have to paint my calipers.

Are powerslots a pontiac off brand or what?

Last edited by 2001BlkWS6; 06-04-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

powerslots are just the most common aftermarket rotors for f-bodies, you can get them from almost any performance shop that sells stuff for our cars
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Alright thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

keep in mind drilled and/or slotted rotors are only for show. they dont help in braking at all. if anything, they will give a longer stopping distance, and be much more prone to cracking or warping. this is usually during repeated hard stops, like if you autox or road race. if its just a daily driver, and you dont pound the **** out of the brakes repeatedly, then theyll be fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Moving to Suspension & Brakes...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
keep in mind drilled and/or slotted rotors are only for show. they dont help in braking at all. if anything, they will give a longer stopping distance, and be much more prone to cracking or warping. this is usually during repeated hard stops, like if you autox or road race. if its just a daily driver, and you dont pound the **** out of the brakes repeatedly, then theyll be fine.
Yea its a daily driver

thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
Nope, those are probably power slots or something better, be happpy
.... or they might be one of the zillion other drilled/slotted rotors available for the ls1.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
.... or they might be one of the zillion other drilled/slotted rotors available for the ls1.
Yea I looked up powerslots and I dont think they look like them but more so resemble the baer brand IMO.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

what? no they arent. they let gases & dust escape to provide a better bite on the pads.
also not too mention they help keep the brakes cooler, for reduction of fade.
looking good just comes w/ them

why do ALL the aftermarket brake companies sell them if it makes stopping distances LONGER?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

this topic has been beat to death already. aftermarket companies sell them because they LOOK better. 10yrs ago, pads were made differently, and actually made said gases, where holes/slots would help. now, pads are completely different, and dont make as much, if any, gas. there is never any dust UNDER the pad...how could there be, its direct contact. they DONT cool the brakes, because drilling/slotting reduces the amount of material to dissapate heat. all the holes/slots do is DECREASE the amount of rotor there is for the pad to bite. if you believe those rotors are better, then im sure you also believe the tornado adds horsepower and improves mileage. next time you watch tv, take a look at NASCAR, or especially any road racing. pay attention to when they swap tires. ill bet you pink slips the rotors are either SOLID, or have one or two very small slots in a wave around the rotor surface.

or, do a search on this site and see what others have said, many of which road race their f-bodies regulary. i myself have posted a pic of a full house racecar, a lambo i believe, competing in the speed world challenge. a no holds barred, no expense spared racecar....and guess what.....solid rotors.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by at23520
what? no they arent. they let gases & dust escape to provide a better bite on the pads.
looking good just comes w/ them

why do ALL the aftermarket brake companies sell them if it makes stopping distances LONGER?
See sticky and draw your own conclusion: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/353903-brake-faq.html

I'll stick with blanks. I also found similar stickies on other car message boards
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this topic has been beat to death already. aftermarket companies sell them because they LOOK better. 10yrs ago, pads were made differently, and actually made said gases, where holes/slots would help. now, pads are completely different, and dont make as much, if any, gas. there is never any dust UNDER the pad...how could there be, its direct contact. they DONT cool the brakes, because drilling/slotting reduces the amount of material to dissapate heat. all the holes/slots do is DECREASE the amount of rotor there is for the pad to bite. if you believe those rotors are better, then im sure you also believe the tornado adds horsepower and improves mileage. next time you watch tv, take a look at NASCAR, or especially any road racing. pay attention to when they swap tires. ill bet you pink slips the rotors are either SOLID, or have one or two very small slots in a wave around the rotor surface.

or, do a search on this site and see what others have said, many of which road race their f-bodies regulary. i myself have posted a pic of a full house racecar, a lambo i believe, competing in the speed world challenge. a no holds barred, no expense spared racecar....and guess what.....solid rotors.
See, maybe i am just stubborn, but i think you are full of it. Not being grumpy with it, but if what you say was true, then why do all the large aftermarket companies that cater to racing not make different rotors for track that have no holes and more gripping surface...? because what you say is not true is the only conclusion i can come to. They don't make there money from being one step away from perfect, and if what you said was true, racecars would run stock solid rotors, right? Just my 2 cents
Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Where is that "beating a dead horse" smiliey?

they let gases & dust escape to provide a better bite on the pads.
Not needed on modern pads. Only pads from decades past had the out-gassing for which these rotors were designed.

Nope.

why do ALL the aftermarket brake companies sell them
They sell them because people ask for them. The aftermarket companies (Brembo, Baer, Wilwood, etc) admit that they are just for looks and are weaker.

10yrs ago
Much longer ago than that.

now, pads are completely different, and dont make as much, if any, gas.
You'd really have to abuse today's pads beyond their normal operating range to have any.

they DONT cool the brakes, because drilling/slotting reduces the amount of material to dissapate heat. all the holes/slots do is DECREASE the amount of rotor there is for the pad to bite.
Yup. The internal vanes are what actually cool the rotor.

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
See, maybe i am just stubborn, but i think you are full of it. Not being grumpy with it, but if what you say was true, then why do all the large aftermarket companies that cater to racing not make different rotors for track that have no holes and more gripping surface...? because what you say is not true is the only conclusion i can come to. They don't make there money from being one step away from perfect, and if what you said was true, racecars would run stock solid rotors, right? Just my 2 cents
Check out the FAQ section on their sites where they admit that the holes are for looks.

Wilwood:
http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Infor..._answer/07.asp
Originally Posted by Wilwood
Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.
Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

Baer
http://www.baer.com/technical/faq/index.php
Originally Posted by Baer
What are the benefits to cross-drilling, slotting, and zinc-washing my rotors?
In years past, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as "green pad fade" or "outgassing". When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but simply little or no friction. Since this normally happens only at temperatures witnessed in racing, this can be very exciting! However, with today´s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer much of a concern. When shopping for races pads, or even ultra high performance road pads, look for the phrases, "dynamic surface treatment", "race ready", and/or, "pre-burnished". When these or similar statements are made by the pad manufacturer, the pad in question will likely have little or no problem with “outgassing”. Ironically more pedestrian pads used on most streetcars will still exhibit “outgassing”, but only when used at temperatures normally only encountered on the racetrack. Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings.

Check out the links in the sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....91&postcount=5

Last edited by VIP1; 06-05-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=VIP1]Where is that "beating a dead horse" smiliey?

Well slap me and call me larry , guess we all jst stuck i the past ain't we bob? Oh well, Stay Stock, better stopping power that way
Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

staying stock isnt 'better'. the setup most people road race with are brembo blanks, and hawk HPS or HPS+, or something to that effect. somewhere on this site are pics of people with drilled rotors that are severely cracked, from one track day. again, this is for road racing.....on the street, unless you abuse the **** out of them, 'show' rotors will hold up just fine. id use them for the street if i didnt autox. swapping tires is a big enough pain in the ***, without having to swap rotors as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=98SS1LWEE]
Originally Posted by VIP1
Where is that "beating a dead horse" smiliey?

Well slap me and call me larry , guess we all jst stuck i the past ain't we bob? Oh well, Stay Stock, better stopping power that way
These are the brakes on F1 cars, why are the blank?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
These are the brakes on F1 cars, why are the blank?
Aren't those ceramic anyway?
In that case, that would be and apples-to-oranges comparison.

I was trying to keep the conversation on cast iron rotors.

Quick Reply: Rotors on a 2001 trans am ws6