Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaky right rear shock?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaky right rear shock?

K I had this problem before but it's getting progressively worse and never showed signs of getting worse in the past. Started getting bad when I got my alignment done and the guy bounced the back on the lift (hard... pissed me off too) and now the right rear koni squeaks like metal on metal. It's mostly present on small bumps in the road, not ear-wrenching squeeks just little annoying ones. Big bumps and turns, you don't hear anything. I have a few friends with suspension and they have the same problem too but it doesn't get as bad as mine does. It gets better after I go back there and tighten up the nut on top of the shock shaft but comes back after about 40 miles of driving. Any ideas? Do I just need to locktite that SOB or what? I know it's not the spare. Took that out along with the jack and the noise was still there. I know it's coming from the shock/mount.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

I had the same type of issue..........turns out it was my control arm bushing. I melted it when I welded my SFC's on? For the longest time I thought it was my Koni's as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Last time I checked we didn't have control arms in the rear? I may be stupid though, never been proven otherwise. So maybe it's a shock bushing is what you're suggesting? Could be but these things were perfectly fine for about 300 miles, not a peap but now they're just squeakin like crazy. No welding's been done back there for about a year so I don't think I melted anything...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mines doing the same thing but I just got the whole car back together so it could be anything back there.

Oh the control arms he's talking about are what hold your rear from moveing front to back. its the arms that go from the axle to the body in front of the axle.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Last time I checked we didn't have control arms in the rear? I may be stupid though, never been proven otherwise. So maybe it's a shock bushing is what you're suggesting? Could be but these things were perfectly fine for about 300 miles, not a peap but now they're just squeakin like crazy. No welding's been done back there for about a year so I don't think I melted anything...
theres your problem...lol. If your lower control arms are gone, who knows how much stress the rest of the suspension components are under...haha. Just kidding, take another look. You will probably find 2 lower control arms.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you're confusing A-Arms with Control Arms....we do not have A-Arms in the rear, but we most certainly do have control arms. what do you think "controls" the rear end from whipping around from side to side when launching/cornering?

and yes, there are bushings in the lower control arms (unless you have rod/rod arms) that will squeak or clank like that if they are dry/worn out. i had a bit of a "clanking" sound over small bumps on the pass. side in the rear that went away when i replaced my LCA's
Old 06-08-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
i think you're confusing A-Arms with Control Arms....we do not have A-Arms in the rear, but we most certainly do have control arms. what do you think "controls" the rear end from whipping around from side to side when launching/cornering?

and yes, there are bushings in the lower control arms (unless you have rod/rod arms) that will squeak or clank like that if they are dry/worn out. i had a bit of a "clanking" sound over small bumps on the pass. side in the rear that went away when i replaced my LCA's

Correct you are. Well that's odd because all new bushings came with the Konis so I doubt that's the culprit. Like I said, when I tighten up the bolt on the top of the shock shaft, it almost completely goes away. I got some loctite and gonna go find a same-sized bolt with nylon locker on it to replace the one that's on there and torque that sucker down as much as possible tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Correct you are. Well that's odd because all new bushings came with the Konis so I doubt that's the culprit. Like I said, when I tighten up the bolt on the top of the shock shaft, it almost completely goes away. I got some loctite and gonna go find a same-sized bolt with nylon locker on it to replace the one that's on there and torque that sucker down as much as possible tomorrow.
i meant that the bushings in the LCA's may be dry/worn out, not the ones on the shocks....especially since you said the problem was there before this happened

you can try spraying some WD-40 inside the bushings on the LCA's to see if it gets rid of the squeak....if it does, you should take them off and either lube the bushings, or get them replaced (and lube them at the same time).

of course, you may try lubing the bushings on the shocks, too, since you say it almost goes away when you tighten the nut on the shock
Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

i meant that the bushings in the LCA's may be dry/worn out, not the ones on the shocks....especially since you said the problem was there before this happened

you can try spraying some WD-40 inside the bushings on the LCA's to see if it gets rid of the squeak....if it does, you should take them off and either lube the bushings, or get them replaced (and lube them at the same time).

of course, you may try lubing the bushings on the shocks, too, since you say it almost goes away when you tighten the nut on the shock

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

It's not your shocks..........trust me.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by J. Brown
It's not your shocks..........trust me.

It's just hard to rule them out because when I tighten that bolt down, the squeaks go away almost completely, then come back within about 40 miles of driving. I'm going to attempt to tackel the problem today. I've got the locknuts, locktite, and WD-40 at the ready.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a squeek in the rear, a clunk in the front(I think it might be loose flywheel bolt!!), a clunk in the rear, my hatch squeeks, and it sounds like I have a flock of baby birds chirping away under my hood!! I attribute most of it to the 126K miles I have.

The only thing that really makes up for it all is that wonderful loud pedal and the awesome Konis!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Lubed up the bushings and loctited the bolt on top of the shock shaft. No more squeak! Too bad I did 2 things at once but at least it's gone! If it comes back, I'm going after the bushings. Drove it 50 miles today, pretty hard in the corners and it's nowhere to be found
Old 06-09-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Lubed up the bushings and loctited the bolt on top of the shock shaft. No more squeak! Too bad I did 2 things at once but at least it's gone! If it comes back, I'm going after the bushings. Drove it 50 miles today, pretty hard in the corners and it's nowhere to be found
hopefully by "lubed", you mean more than just WD-40....that will evaporate/wash away pretty quickly, and the squeal will be back. if you haven't already, just get a $2 tube of white lithium grease from Auto Zone and lube them good...it will stay lubed & squeak-free a lot longer
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

hopefully by "lubed", you mean more than just WD-40....that will evaporate/wash away pretty quickly, and the squeal will be back. if you haven't already, just get a $2 tube of white lithium grease from Auto Zone and lube them good...it will stay lubed & squeak-free a lot longer

Yep. We carry it at work to lube our mechanisms. We got tons of the stuff
Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Launching!

My car has the same right rear squeak. I only hear/ notice it at lower speeds. I need to track it down. It's annoying! Hopefully it's not the shock after spending all that $$$ on Strano Bilstein Revalves w/ Pro-Kit.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had the same squeak since I've had new Koni's. I know it the squeak comes from the bushing of the right rear shock because if my girlfriend makes the rear bounce and I sit on the back seat, I can make the squeak stop by just slightly pressing on the bushing with my finger. I've sprayed silicone, does nothing. Only pressure from my finger works so far. I'm gonna get some white lithium grease and apply it there

My squeak is constant by the way, soooooo annoying!

Search this Thread