Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

12 bolt handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 12 bolt handling

i didn't know what thread to put this in, so i picked this one...

but anyways, my question is simple: i am going from a stock rear (2002 M6 Camaro) to a 4:10 moser 12 bolt with a detroit tru-trac diff. i understand the tru-trac is a better diff for handling bias, but will the extra weight of the rear offset this? will the difference be noticeable for a street driven car?

i remember a member (i think it was viper) who said he lost time around the track going to a 12 bolt, but how noticeable is that on the street?

thanks and i apologize for the annoying hypothetical questions.

Jacob
Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a light more unsprung weight. Will it make the car a dog? Depends. Jsut be sure you got good shocks. But sometimes the 12 bolt is a good thing better posi and can hold the power. Even if it does add some weight.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I've heard the trutrac isn't much improvement over the T2 other than being a hell of a lot stronger. It can take a beating on the strip.

Picking a good handling differential is quite a challenge with whats available to us. I'd go with a T2R hands down if they made it for a 12 bolt or 9 inch. The 9 inch has a trutrac with preload that I've heard a tiny bit about but there isn't much info on it, but I think it's closer to the T2R. Also the Auburn Racer's diff is one that Sam recommends but I don't think that's available for the 12 either.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a 2000 M6 Camaro with a Moser 12-bolt, 4.10 gears, and a Detroit TrueTrac diff, so I might have some insight here.

Yes, the difference in unpsrung weight is very noticeable. When I first got mine, I was very unhappy with the ride. After I adjusted the shocks (Koni SA's), it was much better, but the biggest move in the right direction was getting lighter wheels. I went from 17x11 ZR1's with 315/35/17's to 17x9.5 Fikse FM/5's with 275/40/17's. I still have a couple adjustments to make (LCA relocation brackets), but the ride is much better now.

Maybe this thread will help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/697206-unsprung-weight.html

-Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Does anyone know how the weight of the 9 inch with aluminum center section compares with a 12 bolt?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I have a 2000 M6 Camaro with a Moser 12-bolt, 4.10 gears, and a Detroit TrueTrac diff, so I might have some insight here.

Yes, the difference in unpsrung weight is very noticeable. When I first got mine, I was very unhappy with the ride. After I adjusted the shocks (Koni SA's), it was much better, but the biggest move in the right direction was getting lighter wheels. I went from 17x11 ZR1's with 315/35/17's to 17x9.5 Fikse FM/5's with 275/40/17's. I still have a couple adjustments to make (LCA relocation brackets), but the ride is much better now.

Maybe this thread will help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697206

-Mike
thanks mike! thats an awesome thread. the wheels i have are pretty light so that does make up for it. i will also be installing the relo brackets for the LCAs. i think i'm on the right track, i just need to adjust the shocks accordingly i guess. i have the Konis as well. so the 12 bolt isn't extremely detrimental to my handling is it? cause thats a great relief.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by qwikz28
thanks mike! thats an awesome thread. the wheels i have are pretty light so that does make up for it. i will also be installing the relo brackets for the LCAs. i think i'm on the right track, i just need to adjust the shocks accordingly i guess. i have the Konis as well. so the 12 bolt isn't extremely detrimental to my handling is it? cause thats a great relief.
If you have Koni's, you should be able to adjust it to your comfort. I certainly was. My car still handles great, and now that I've tweaked it a little more (and grown accustomed to what the rearend has changed), it's VERY close to where I want it. The stuff I'm not totally satisfied with can likely be fixed.

-Mike
Old 06-10-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
If you have Koni's, you should be able to adjust it to your comfort. I certainly was. My car still handles great, and now that I've tweaked it a little more (and grown accustomed to what the rearend has changed), it's VERY close to where I want it. The stuff I'm not totally satisfied with can likely be fixed.

-Mike
i knew i shoulda stepped it up to the 4th gen rear shocks adjusting them are gonna be a pain in the butt!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

mike- you don't happen to remember you're settings do you? i think it would save me a bit of time to start from your settings.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by qwikz28
mike- you don't happen to remember you're settings do you? i think it would save me a bit of time to start from your settings.
Front - Four sweeps from full firm.
Back - Pretty sure it's at a full turn from full soft.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 06-11-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

thanks mike! you are the man! this kinda gives me hope about my decision to get this rear. i can't thank you enough, you've been most helpful

Jacob
Old 06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

A 12-bolt is not in any way a good handling move. The unsprung weight is a lot higher than a 10-bolt is (and there aren't as many diffs to choose from). I'd sooner say a 9" if you have to change, but I'd say with a 10-bolt if you aren't in imminent danger of fragging it from 600 HP.

Unsprung weight is helped by compression damping, something SA's don't have the ability to change. While a little tweaking helped Mike, it's likely that would have helped with the 10-bolt as well. He somewhat countered the 12-bolt mass by moving down to smaller and lighter wheels (who's idea was that again???). But then consider if those wheels were on the car *with* the lighter axle too, even more help!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Point of clarification, Sam. I was completely satisfied with my handling before upgrading the rearend. With the added mass of the 12-bolt, I became unhappy with it, so all the adjustments I made (including lighter wheels, which you are definitely credited with suggesting...plus they look badass ) were to get me back to completely satisfied. Which I am.

-Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I just like to point out details. After all I'm the one always telling folks the details matter. I'm just glad the car got back to working appropriately.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: 12 bolt handling