Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Road Race K-Member Released

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up Road Race K-Member Released

Hello Members,

There has been talk for the past few months about UMI Performance offering a K-Memeber to with stand the abuse of a road race or autocross vehicle. We have been building this item for over 6 months already but have never really made it public, we have been selling them on a referal basis and to people who have heard we offer it. Well we finally got time to complete the listing and this item is now available to the public. Wait time is approx. 3-5 days right now. These are available for both the LT1 models and LS1 models. We do currently have a few of these installed on vehicles running in American Iron that are going to put them through a beating. These customers may even chime in on this thread if they see it. I pasted one picture below, addtional pictures can be seen by clicking on the link.

www.umiperformance.com/2321

Last edited by UMI Performance; 06-19-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We do currently have a few of these installed on NASA / CMC vehicles that are going to put them through a beating.
That would be American Iron ... lots more horsepower than CMC.

Mike had his car out this past weekend at Buttonwillow and had zero complaints. Seems to be a quality piece.

Ryan solicited input from racers and subsequently has built a fine piece of art.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mitchntx
That would be American Iron ... lots more horsepower than CMC.
Thanks Mitch, that is right! My mistake

Mike had his car out this past weekend at Buttonwillow and had zero complaints. Seems to be a quality piece.
That is great to hear, I am looking foward to hearing some more results. Last I heard you mentioned it installed with ease. It took us many hours and a few scrap K-Members to build a correct jig that allows that much heat to be placed into that item and still maintain the correct tolerances.

Ryan solicited input from racers and subsequently has built a fine piece of art.
And I appreciate all there feedback on this item. Sam Strano had also stopped by a few times and contributed to the design.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how exactly does this differ from the street k-member, ie weight, material, new structural changes??
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does it work with aftermarket motor mounts like poly? Looks like it will be fine...

Will you be offering any special pricing when ordering a arms with it? Upper and lower.

Last edited by Viper; 06-19-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"how exactly does this differ from the street k-member, ie weight, material, new structural changes??"

We take are already over-built street K-member and improve it even more. Using additional 1.000” tubing we tie together crucial areas. There areas are exposed to more stress from a road race car than a street or drag race car would ever apply. This item weighs in at 3lbs more than our standard version but still maintains a much needed weight savings.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

This is very very interesting.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you'll sell quite a few of these!

only a 3lb penalty? Why wouldnt you choose this one for any application!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've looked at the pictures.. it does have me concerned with the header clearace. Have you tested clearance for the more popular headers on the market?

I'd be reluctant to buy if my 'even more expensive' headers hit... they are already only a few thousandths away on the passenger side.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any option for solid motor mounts?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Is there a package price with control arms and all?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much clearance is lost compared to the street piece?

As far as 3-4" turbo piping, or even a low mounted twin setup? (APS/Gen TT/Speed Inc street kits)

Looks like another quality piece from you guys...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sedanman
Is there a package price with control arms and all?
I'm also wondering this. It would be an awsome upgrade together.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wondering when someone would come out with one of these... looks to be a quality piece!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had their RR version since late July of last yr. I was on the initial offering of this version. Running solid motor mounts. Fits like a glove and went a lot easier than the stock one coming out. You'll need to shim the ds motor mount if you decide to run solid motor mounts. I'm using morosso mounts and the spacing is off and it may have been correct since then. I just added a washer and a it's now snug. Great product and the pwd coat at least on mine is mega thick.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:39 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am one of the few that got in on the initial offereing back in June of last yr and received mine in July the RR version. Fits great and plenty of clearance. Running solid mounts (morosso's) and will require a spacer to fill the gap between the mount and bracket on the ds.

Great product and worth every damn penny! I'm glad I waited yrs for someone to finally build one for us Fbodies too.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Everyone

Headers- The extra bracing will not effect header clearance, it does not run near the headers at all. Both this item and our street/drag K-Member clear with virtually any header out there and they both offer addtional clearance over the stock K-Memeber. The only header brand we have heard hit are the Edelbroke long tubes which just required slight grinding. The Jet hots hit when we first released it but we fixed that issue. All others are fine, Kooks, QTP, Pacesetter, Hooker ect.

For turbo piping, thats tough. The extra bracing should not be in any place where the piping is but there is no gurantee. Joel over at Ohio Forced Inductions has built his twin turbo set-up around our street k-member so it should clear with this.

We will be putting some package deals together shortly. If anyone is interested know let me know or a vendor and we can get you a quote.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan is the man ... a vendor/fabricator that listens to critical feedback.

He has basically taken the best of everyone's parts, solicited feedback in real world conditions and with folks he has no affiliation with and made the ultimate.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SRZ any pics of the solid motor mounts?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DanO
I've looked at the pictures.. it does have me concerned with the header clearace. Have you tested clearance for the more popular headers on the market?

I'd be reluctant to buy if my 'even more expensive' headers hit... they are already only a few thousandths away on the passenger side.
Here's a pic of this K-member with 1-7/8"x2" Kooks

Quick Reply: Road Race K-Member Released