Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I <3 heater hose mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I <3 heater hose mod

I finally got a chance to do it and holy ****... its worth the $5 and then some lol. My car sat so high before, that was the main thing bugging me about it lately. Now it has a nice perfect level stance (like it should have had from the factory) and I couldn't be happier! I forgot to measure before and after but its at least 3/4" drop. It was immediately noticeable even before the springs settled.

What really surprised me most is that the car actually handles a lot differently. I know its still the same spring rate and you are just removing a thick spacer, so the car just has a bit lower center of gravity, but you could have fooled me. The car is much more stable in quick lane changes etc. While on a back road I was cranking the wheel back and forth and getting into some corners. Before, the car would really roll over hard and the rear tires would squeal, now it feels like the rear doesn't want to come around on me as much. I think if and when I get Koni SAs, I might just keep stock springs on it.

Last edited by Reidonly; 07-02-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Looks a lot better! Major improvement. I know it doesn't make sense, but it seems like a lot of Camaros sit extremely high stock - higher than Firebirds. They just look ridiculous as they come from the factory.

I did the mod and am happy with the result, but now I want to get a corresponding 3/4" drop in the the front, but there's only one way to do that - Koni's = $$$$$.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

I noticed that too - it seems like Camaros sit like that while the 'birds don't. And yes I also plan on doing Koni's too eventually too.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

if you get konis, do NOT keep the stock springs. theyre just too long, and it will be an unmatched spring to shock combo. if you do any kind of road race/autoxing, id say get the koni/strano spring combo. if you jsut want to lower it for looks, then get revalved bilsteins and something like a prokit or sportlines, or look into hotchkiss. itll be cheaper then the koni/strano setup. also, keep in mind what kind of exhaust you have or WANT to get in the future. i had pacesetter LTs, TSP catted Y, and a loudmouth. fit perfect. THEN i put koni/stranos on, and the exhaust hangs so low its almost undrivable. i had to put the rubber isolater back on instead of the heater hose, just to raise the *** a little. the koni/strano drops you ALOT, maybe 1.25 to 1.5 inches. if youre staying with a basic catback, then youll be alright. but if you plan on doing a full exhaust, youll have to put your ground clearance into consideration.

also, you have 17x11 rear rims.....if you lower it, youll have to roll/hammer your fenders.

BTW, the gunmetal looks nice with SOM
Old 07-01-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

My car looked the same as yours after doing the hose mod.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you give me the write up for this please? thx!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Very nice improvement. I'm thinking about ditching my Pro kit and going with this approach.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

I think I'm going to be the first (and maybe the only) person to respond and say I think it had a better stance before doing it. The cars sit a bit high stock, but I like the rake they have. I think a lot of these cars look weird when you just lower the back. Almost looks like you have more fender gap in front than back now.

I will agree that it'll look perfect with the Konis on the lower perch. However, I hated the ride of my stock springs and the Koni shocks. Putting on Strano's springs (on the upper perch then) was a huge improvement in handling and ride quality over the stock spring/Koni setup. These shocks just like springrate I guess
Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Launching!

I have just one question...after doing the hose mod. Did you notice if your car needs an ajustable panhard bar? I know when you lower a car you need one to keep the rear end centered, so does the hose mod lower it enough that it un-centers the rear end? What I mean is, when you look at the car from the back, does one tire stick to the outside further than the other? I'm thinking of doing this mod for my T/A but I won't bother yet if it uncenters the rear. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
I have just one question...after doing the hose mod. Did you notice if your car needs an ajustable panhard bar? I know when you lower a car you need one to keep the rear end centered, so does the hose mod lower it enough that it un-centers the rear end? What I mean is, when you look at the car from the back, does one tire stick to the outside further than the other? I'm thinking of doing this mod for my T/A but I won't bother yet if it uncenters the rear. Thanks.
The rear end is already far from centered. The PHB is used to center the rear end when you run massively wide *** tired, like 315's.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Most of these cars stock can benefit from a correctly adjusted aftermarket panhard bar.

Oh, and to the original poster, I didn't mention in my first post, but you're car looks amazing with those wheels. I love gunmetal against SOM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
The cars sit a bit high stock, but I like the rake they have. I think a lot of these cars look weird when you just lower the back. Almost looks like you have more fender gap in front than back now. I will agree that it'll look perfect with the Konis on the lower perch.
You're absolutely right. I like how the rear came down with the HH mod, but now it looks like the front is too high. These cars need a little rake. It's nice that the HH mod is free, but $500 (Konis) for the same 3/4 drop in front just seems excessive ...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Launching!

I think I'm going to be the first (and maybe the only) person to respond and say I think it had a better stance before doing it. The cars sit a bit high stock, but I like the rake they have. I think a lot of these cars look weird when you just lower the back. Almost looks like you have more fender gap in front than back now.
Well that driveway goes slightly downhill, so there is a little more weight going toward the rear. In person it has a nice level stance. The front wheel gap is a hair more, but the car itself is perfectly level now. Before, the rocker panel was raked a lot, but now it is dead level with the ground.

Oh, and to the original poster, I didn't mention in my first post, but you're car looks amazing with those wheels. I love gunmetal against SOM.
Thanks!!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You're absolutely right. I like how the rear came down with the HH mod, but now it looks like the front is too high. These cars need a little rake. It's nice that the HH mod is free, but $500 (Konis) for the same 3/4 drop in front just seems excessive ...
you have to consider, also, that the lowering is not the only function that the Koni's will be performing.....quite the opposite.....the main function of the Koni's is to make the car handle a lot better than stock (which they do an exceptional job at, btw, making the price worth it). the added 3/4" drop that the front perch gets you is just a free, added bonus.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
you have to consider, also, that the lowering is not the only function that the Koni's will be performing.....quite the opposite.....the main function of the Koni's is to make the car handle a lot better than stock (which they do an exceptional job at, btw, making the price worth it). the added 3/4" drop that the front perch gets you is just a free, added bonus.
True enough, dude, and relevant for the OP. In my case, I have HD's on stock springs and am quite happy with the ride/handling. Although I know Koni's would probably be an improvement, the only reason I'd make a change is to get the front drop. And it seems like a lot of money just for that.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Looks fabulous. Would like to see how everything would look with 18s! I see those are 17x11's though, good enough
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks alot for the pics! Thats exactly what I needed! I'm defently gonna do it now!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. I want to do the HH mod but two thing hold me back.

1. I have 17x11's with GS-D3 out back. Im cutting it close with rubbing as we speak.
2. I heard that when you do the HH mod, you get a lot of noise from the rear springs because the heater hose isnt thick enough to absorb that metal to metal contact.

Quick Reply: I <3 heater hose mod