Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Shocks

My car is lowered 1 1/2 inches. The ride is really rough on the stock shocks. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good shock that won't empty the wallet, but still provide good all around ride quality?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Sam Strano's revalves.

Send him a PM. Sam Strano

cheapest best shock on the planet. He valves them according to your needs, I think they're just over $500 a set of 4.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

cheap replacements- kyb100$ or spend 400 more on strano revalves
Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

What kind of springs do you have? If you get strano revalves, you will want to know that and tell him.

The KYB's I've read from the people who've made comparisons and had experience with them appear to ride like crap after a while of use. Do a search on KYB shocks and form your own opinion.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

nobody can make the choice for you, but KYB AGX, GR-2s, Tokico replacements, are all junk.

Revalves should be the base, Koni shocks the premium.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

That only leaves two options for the end consumer. If I were to buy some KYBs for a temporary solution and put them on the car, how much better are they in comparison to stock shocks, and how much worse than the konis/revalves?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Specialized
That only leaves two options for the end consumer. If I were to buy some KYBs for a temporary solution and put them on the car, how much better are they in comparison to stock shocks, and how much worse than the konis/revalves?
Dont waste your time/money. It would be like buying one of those electric turbo chargers for a temporary power adder, and then later getting a real one...
I can tell you first hand, going from stock shocks to Konis are trully a night and day difference, its pretty amazing.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Dont waste your time/money. It would be like buying one of those electric turbo chargers for a temporary power adder, and then later getting a real one...
I can tell you first hand, going from stock shocks to Konis are trully a night and day difference, its pretty amazing.
Very true.

Why spend money now when you know it's just pissing it away and you'll be spending monre in the end.

Frankly the revalves sound like they would work, granted Sam would know better then I how they deal with a drop as large as yours, even though it's not an extreme one.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So ture!
I used to hate it when people just said to search...but this has been covered soo many times!
I've posted now in 2 similar threads today! So even if search was broken (like it often is) all you would need to do is read some current threads.
So really, learn from others mistakes and experience....after all thats the point of the forum, right.
Pay a little more for revalves, or a little more for Konis....you don't have to race to appreciate a better shock!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

/thread!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone answer this question pretending that Koni's or revalves do not exist? How about the 3rd best? I can almost afford revalves but I need a NOW solution and the HD's are much more in my price range. All I need is decent that won't be as shitty as blown stock shocks. Maybe next year I can afford the good ones but right now its not an option.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are 2 problems w pretending Koni and Revalves dont exist.
1. 1 1/2" less suspension travel (lowered)
2. Change in spring rate (especially progressive rates)
Factory shocks do not handle 1 or 2. Lower priced aftermarket shocks (including HDs)also are intended for stock ride height and rate...therfore don't work well w/ 1 or 2.

Honestly, save for the revalves. Less $ will buy you shocks that wont be much better than your stockers. At least buy the fronts (so you can do one front spring swap & alignment). Rears are easy and won't require any special tools or proceedures...so you can do them later when budget allows.

So 3rd best would be buy the front revalves. Then just do the rears later.
Or just hold off on the swap until you can afford better shocks...they are worth it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may just go with the HD's and stock height for now, because I really can't afford the revalves and I need to do something before things start to break.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to go with HD's with hotckis springs. What's the benifit of going with Strano's revalves (i know nothing when it comes to this stuff)?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageagain
I was going to go with HD's with hotckis springs. What's the benifit of going with Strano's revalves (i know nothing when it comes to this stuff)?
Do a search for the springs, Ive heard some bad things about hotckis, I wouldnt doubt you'd be better off with strano springs.
Strano's revalves are valved differently to match your spring, giving better ride/handling.