Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help choosing the rest of my suspension mods...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing the rest of my suspension mods...

Well here's what I've bought so far.

UMI On-Car adjustable Panhard Bar
UMI Tubular Rear Control Arms (getting ready to order the weld-in relocation brackets as well)
Eibach Sportline Springs
BMR Boxed Weld in Subframe Connectors.

Only thing left are shocks. I'm thinking revalved Bilstiens. I've also heard that maybe it would be wise to change to another brand of springs though. By the way I have $493.85 in my paypal account to mess around with.

Any input on what I should remove/add to this setup would be appreciated. I hope to get everything gathered up and put on soon!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS

If you must lower, use Strano's springs. Revalves are a good option but not the best. Get the Konis. You should do the Konis first, you may find you don't need the rest. The only thing I did wrong on my car was not doing shocks FIRST! The shocks alone, plain ole HDs, made more of a difference than all the other stuff combined AND made it more comfortable. Dump the Eibachs, do the Koni lower perch on front and heater hose mod on the rear. It looks better and leaves you good ground clearance. Get the Konis. I love my Bilsteins, they made it a different car, better in every way...but I wish I had gone Koni.

Call Sam and ask his advice, then buy what he suggests.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I can't say I haven't heard that. Looks like those Eibachs are going to the classified forum before I even open them. Guess I'll get the koni's. They'll allow me to lower the car as well even with the stock springs yes?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for good handling, the sportlines definitely aren't the way to go. They lower the car a lot, but don't have the springrate to compensate for the shorter working distance.

I wouldn't automatically recommend Strano's springs though. They're more for the really serious enthusiast. If that's not what you're looking for, there are other options out there that lower the car, and provide improved handling without being quite as aggressive as Strano's. I have the Strano springs myself (just got them, actually), but I do some Autocrossing and don't mind a more aggressive vehicle. Hell, I spend nearly a grand every year for the Nitto competition tires that I struggle to get 10k miles out of on the street.

The first two mods I did when I got my car though were the Koni shocks and some swaybars (and that decision was made after spending nearly half an hour talking to Sam). Those kept me happy with the handling of my car for a good several years all by themselves.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Cool. Yeah, I don't track the car at all really. I do however drive quite aggressive. Also, I plan on 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 ZR-1's later so I also want the drop to look right with the nice wheels.

I think I'll start out with the Koni's like so many have said. Sell the Eibachs, and see how the rest of the suspension mods feel once they're on.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Launching!

To add to the Eibach thing, I've seen pictures of F-bodies sagging with those springs. And if you're worried about the Strano springs and Koni's being too stiff, I live in Crestview, so I know the roads in the area, not bad. It's the construction on 110 that's rough, but it was just as bad, if not worse, with the stocker's. Plus, I drove the PowerTour on some terrible roads this year with the new setup, and I can't complain. By the way, are you going to be installing yourself? Took me what seemed forever with just hand tools, but fairly easy, and watchout for the passenger side strut, the nut usually rusts and seizes to the strut shaft (I had to cut mine off).
Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
To add to the Eibach thing, I've seen pictures of F-bodies sagging with those springs. And if you're worried about the Strano springs and Koni's being too stiff, I live in Crestview, so I know the roads in the area, not bad. It's the construction on 110 that's rough, but it was just as bad, if not worse, with the stocker's. Plus, I drove the PowerTour on some terrible roads this year with the new setup, and I can't complain. By the way, are you going to be installing yourself? Took me what seemed forever with just hand tools, but fairly easy, and watchout for the passenger side strut, the nut usually rusts and seizes to the strut shaft (I had to cut mine off).

yeah. I work on NAS and live up on University, so I drive I-110 at least twice everyday. And yes, it is a crazy ride. Yeah, I am worried about the sag. So, I've already decided I'm selling the Eibachs and getting some Koni's. Although, they cost a pretty penny. It's worth it. ALso, no, I won't be putting these on myself because I don't really have the place nor the experience. But, I'm sure I could do it if I put my mind to it. It just sucks living in an apartment I can't doing anything to my car here.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Launching!

You'll be happy with the Koni's. If you want to lower the car, you can try the lower perch and hose mod after you get the Koni's with the stock springs. I think Strano springs are $270-ish, and lower the car 1.2 inchs. I hear you about not being able to do anything vehicle related at an apartment. I wish they'd get that road finished, hockey season was annoying driving on that crap, and going to be again this year, oh well, the stuff we do for our hobbies

Quick Reply: Need help choosing the rest of my suspension mods...