Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Holy crap Koni DA's at TireRack for $225!!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Let me address Mitch first. Mitch--I don't have lots of Koni DA customers because I take the time to explain what compression and rebound do, how it works, and when you want to adjust it. I have a few customers who feel the need to have it, and some others I recommend them to, mostly when they have massive brakes or rear axles. So I'm not real worried about a lynch-mob coming after me over my running and/or recommending SA's, because I'm honest about it from the get-go.
I appreciate your taking the time to address me personally. I'm flattered you spend so much time pouring over what I say.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

_Zac and Mitchntx for Texas state governor.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape all the time when Sam states a few facts and gives his opinion on something.

I looked on Tirerack, it was 225 per shock. A set of Koni SAs are cheaper. It's a good deal on DAs but not like "OMG I'm going to crap my pants its such a good deal!".

I don't blame him for not giving out info or support anymore unless you buy from him. With so many people picking everything apart, I'd wouldn't want to help anyone.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

got my koni DA on..great deal from tire rack.... got it at the lower price before the haters ran and cried about the price to Koni....... great deal love the shock...i'm happy.....
Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Some one will post a request for help and a phone number is offered up as "technical advice". I have complained to admin about it numerous times, but as long as vendors keep writing checks, the practice will remain.
Sounds like America to me.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

I think part of the reason for the MAP pricing, is the fact that Koni is like a car lifetime membership... Free replacement under warranty, or 50% off list if found not to be warrantible. This is better pricing than you fwill find anywhere.

With stock unsprung weight, I see no reason for DA's, at least when the shocks are fresh.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I appreciate your taking the time to address me personally. I'm flattered you spend so much time pouring over what I say.

Ignorance gets my attention. I really don't go looking for your posts, you just tend to say such outlandish things without a shred of evidence behind your statements that it's easy to call you out. Like wondering what all my DA customers would think. *Gasp*. If you paid much attention to what I do, you'd know that I'm not a fan of DA's for this car.

Regardless, I wasn't aware the pricing had changed back. Did you guys stop to think the pricing might have been an error? After all, they went from "closeout" to (I presume) in stock @ normal pricing. And if they were closing out the fronts, why not the rears too?

But no, it must be all my fault, can't possibly be anyone else's..... I think this conversation is over because both sides have had their say.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why always with the name calling, Sam?? It's so Jr. high ...
It's outlandish because it's not yours?

I'm sure VIP1 will pm me and tell me to cool my jets ... again.

When in reality, I've said nothing negative, other than post up about Koni DA customers of yours Sam. But you went into great damage control ... calling me names in the process. I hope it's a big deal to you, because it's just another example ... I did post up a smiley face - have a beer emo ...

Anyone who wishes can go back and search on your screen name, Sam, and without deviation, if some other vendor offers a suspension part, similar to what you carry, it's crap or unfair. Those of us old enough to have kids recognize the behavior.

It just gets old after a while, you know?

Another piece of Strano consitency is seeking out my posts in order to do nothing but an attempt to discredit. That's fine ... I'm old enough to realize where truth ends and BS begins. Not sure why I garner so much of his attention, but like I said, it's flattering he lends so much credence to my opinion.

Rest assured you have fewer and fewer posts to wade through ...

Suffice it to say, I do read Sam's posts. No doubt he is very knowledgable in his niche. It's why his "DA's are overkill" statement jumped out at me. He has, for years, hawked these shocks and it seemed contradictory.

I could have worded it differently, but the outcome would have been the same. Sam has his "boyz" and I ain't one of'em.

And if Sam would post what compression and rebound do in a Koni DA, their effects, the pros and the cons, all this hoopla (in this thread and others) would most certainly be avoided.

Type it once and put it in a sticky. It will save you a ton of phone time ...

Consider them cooled VIP1. No need for a PM ... :beer:
Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

you people drive me nuts.... i keep getting emails regarding this..... look... tire rack has koni DA at a cheap price... either you want a set or you dont .... bottem line i got a set at a good price im happy... lets please move on
Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Mitch, you are a complete moron.... And that's the end of it. I've correct you once, and then twice about the how I been hocking those shock for years. So very simply put let me try it again. I RARELY SELL DA'S. I OWN DA'S AND DO *NOT* USE THEM, AND AM HAPPY TO EXPLAIN WHY. DA'S HAVE THEIR PLACES, BUT IT'S RARE ONE OF THEM POP UP.

I'm happy to let this horse die, but I'll be god-damned if I'm going to stand by and let Mitch say half-truths when it suits him. And maybe, just maybe you deserve to be scolded Mitchy for the half-cocked things you spout.

As far as I'm concerned the case is closed, until Mitch says something else that's not true and I'll have to fix. I'm not one to sit by and let folks take pot-shots for fun. Sorry.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

greenherb - unsubscribe ... it's in the control panel.

:sigh:

Name calling AND now a biblical reference. Gee-whiz ... why can't you just grow up and act like an adult. Why is it you think everything is a personal attack? Are you that vain?

I'm not asking you to give a run down on how often or how many Koni DAs you sell. I'm sure it's a staggering number of folks you've sold a bill of goods to.

Rather explain WHY DA's are not your shock of choice.

Jesus Christ, Sammy ... can you not read and comprehend?

"Catch a man a fish and he can eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime."
-Author unknown
Old 09-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm sure VIP1 will pm me and tell me to cool my jets ... again.
I don't remember PMing you about that, but I do remember getting and replying to several of your PMs on the subject.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Mitch, you are a complete moron...
Leave the petty BS and name calling at the playground.

Both of you cut the crap. You make me feel like a parent having to separate two bickering siblings.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I've read a post or two from Sam on the DA subject explained perfectly.

Mitch, seems to me that you wish you were selling shocks for a bussiness, maybe you are even trying to get in on the action. When discrediting Sam, do you think that makes you appear smarter? If you have a better/different approach than Sam has, please share. Else, please shutup.

There are plenty of places/stickies on this subject for people who want to learn. If you have any more to add to the knowledge base, I would love to read it. Don't you already have a sticky? Good info there.

Also Mitch, I am nobodies fan boy and have read everything I could find on suspension.

greg
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
I don't remember PMing you about that, but I do remember getting and replying to several of your PMs on the subject.

Both of you cut the crap. You make me feel like a parent having to separate two bickering siblings.
The one that comes to mind quickly was explaining how you don't take sides, but stop cluttering up threads.

And I'm not the one bickering. I'm not very fond of being called names and having profanity used at me. But, who is, right?

I have been very civil, I thought, even through all the childish behavior.

Originally Posted by Greggy
I've read a post or two from Sam on the DA subject explained perfectly.

Mitch, seems to me that you wish you were selling shocks for a bussiness, maybe you are even trying to get in on the action. When discrediting Sam, do you think that makes you appear smarter? If you have a better/different approach than Sam has, please share. Else, please shutup.

There are plenty of places/stickies on this subject for people who want to learn. If you have any more to add to the knowledge base, I would love to read it. Don't you already have a sticky? Good info there.

Also Mitch, I am nobodies fan boy and have read everything I could find on suspension.

greg
Greg, I have absolutely zero desire to be a retailer. None!

I get frustrated with Sam because he has zero tolerence for an alternate POV. He is unreasonable, even when faced with the simplest of facts or real world situations.

Other than his stand on bad business practices in this thread, here's another great example ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/777146-anyone-against-kyb-s.html

This poor guy needs shocks and is almost afraid to post, asking for alternatives.

Where Sam and I diverged on opinion was the use of plain old Bilstein HDs vs revalving them. Several of us used HDs on our street cars with stock, Eibach Pro and LGM G2 springs without issue. HDs are now on a couple CMC race cars with an AFCO coil over kit (yet another cry of wolf) and doing quite well. One of those race cars is second in region and way ahead on ROTY points.

Are HDs optimized for track or lowered spring useage?

No and I've stated that each time. But they are a great shock, massive improvement over stock and can be had for a reasonable price several places on the internet in the low $300s with free shipping.

For a daily driven car, HDs will be a great and affordable alternative. You can go ahead and point me to Bilstein's site where it says they are not recommended for lowered cars. That's great. GM doesn't recommend you spin an LSx motor over 6200 either.

In all fairness, Greg, this goes WAY back to before you even registered. So, you see, I do have an alternative POV and some real data to back it up.

Does that satisfy your urge to defend?

I can get along with almost anyone ... including Sam. But it does require two people to show at least a hint of respect for another's opinion and accomplishments.

The "Flat Washer" sticky at the top is great satire, aimed at those who are seemingly too lazy to read or search. Too many want to be spoon fed the data of the day instead of taking the time to learn and make their own decisions. Otherwise, how do you REALLY know if the food being spooned to you is real nourishment or just crap?

My dad once told me:
"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Sam, the place is yours.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Where Sam and I diverged on opinion was the use of plain old Bilstein HDs vs revalving them. Several of us used HDs on our street cars with stock, Eibach Pro and LGM G2 springs without issue. HDs are now on a couple CMC race cars with an AFCO coil over kit (yet another cry of wolf) and doing quite well. One of those race cars is second in region and way ahead on ROTY points.

Are HDs optimized for track or lowered spring useage?

No and I've stated that each time. But they are a great shock, massive improvement over stock and can be had for a reasonable price several places on the internet in the low $300s with free shipping.

For a daily driven car, HDs will be a great and affordable alternative. You can go ahead and point me to Bilstein's site where it says they are not recommended for lowered cars. That's great. GM doesn't recommend you spin an LSx motor over 6200 either.
I filtered out the important stuff above. I'm sure the issues between you guys go back several years, but I wasn't here several years ago and don't care and probably most of the users don't care either.

Thing's I basically care about are who is winning and succeeding with what setups. I only ever see Sam giving such info. And that info you posted up above is helpful for us who don't have the time or money to try different setups.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Directed at no one in particular ...

WS6gluemaker (LOL at the name) you will notice that this section and site has moved away from a sharing of information to more of a recommended vendor listing. I empathize with your frustration.

Some one will post a request for help and a phone number is offered up as "technical advice". I have complained to admin about it numerous times, but as long as vendors keep writing checks, the practice will remain.

This once great site has now become what LS1.com used to be. A place where, if you pay a fee, it will shield you from accountability, the exact scenario that spawned this site.

So you have a couple choices ...

Get in line and follow the Pied Piper or do it yourself.

I chose the latter.

And come to find out, there are a lot of us out there that just don't buy the BS offered. There are a few alternate sites whose membership has enough savy and knowledge that they will actually take the time to pen a technical response, not limited to a recommended parts list.

The sites aren't hard to find.

Good luck.

Well versed sir! Hats off to you!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it.

1) Sam has posted about DA setups before, and the explanation was clear and useful.

2) Thanks to the original poster, hell of a deal if you were looking for DAs, great find.

3) Mitch, you can't have it both ways. You frequently recommend a lower priced and 'less competent' solution because it meets the real needs of someone... but then get bent out of shape because Sam makes the same suggestion with SAs vs DAs? Come ON, get over it.

4) Sam, autocross isn't everything, and DAs might be better for a high speed road guy... so why even comment on the pricing? Unless your concern was that the shock offered at that price might not in fact be a DA - or might be some sort of gray market item without a warranty, your input in this thread was gratuitous.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

"Catch a man a fish and he can eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime."
-Author unknown
Probably my number one motto. I refuse to simply DO something for someone. I will teach you but I will not do the work for you. You need to learn.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am glad Sam has Mitch to yell at. Maybe he will get it out of his system. Sam tries to use tech to sell his products. Mitch tries to help people. I still love my fleemarket DAs(got on Ebay for cheep) and ground control springs(from WS6store). Sam thinks that to set-up a car is way past most who post on here(He may be right). Mitch tries to anwer questions.

Have fun guys
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

I have gone back years to read old posts in order to 'figure out' suspension things.. so I know some of the history here.

The fact is that HD's will work ok with stock springs, and maybe some softer rate drop springs... The key work here is OK. I've had the HD's. They are softer than I like, but you know what, they were OK. Better than stock, especially on the rear. When they wore out...and they do wear out, I dropped the car and got some Koni SA's. To be honest I've had some problems with the front Koni's, but when they are not broken they are much better than the HD's were. To the point that if money was no issue I would never again use the regular HD's with stock springs again. Revalves are the better way to go for me, but then I realize that may not be the same for someone else.

Anyway, I like your sense of humor Mitch, but you do have a back-handed way of insulting someone. And just as you put me down for have little experience, you really have no idea as I have had all the options that you two are bickering about.

Sometimes in bussiness it is easier to just recommend something than to fully explain it. It becomes tiresome to answer the same old questions over and over again. If people don't do there own research and want to be spoon feed, that's their choice, and you can't do anything about it. I would trust to listen to Trackbird, Sam and Mitch for advice over some others here, but in the end, the decisions made are MINE and Mine alone.

The SPOON...I mean floor is yours.

Last edited by Greggy; 09-05-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Holy crap Koni DA's at TireRack for $225!!??