Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Steer

Since I got my car lowered it has terrible bump steer on the freeway. would changing the swayabr links and bushings help? if not what would?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a bump steer kit that can help.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

you will not have terrible bumpsteer on a lowered car, if your original front end parts are all good and your alignment is good.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question whether it is really "bump steer" (direction changes
with suspension travel) or just more instability (direction
changes on its own, perturbed by a bump impulse). The
latter is sort of charactierstic of the F-body to begin with,
called "tramlining" or "groove walking" and can get worse
with alignment (lowering). More caster will improve it a fair
bit, I am lowered and after a performance alignment it was
more stable than stock.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
Since I got my car lowered it has terrible bump steer on the freeway. would changing the swayabr links and bushings help? if not what would?
have to ask the obvious. did you get it aligned after you lowered it? when you lower a car, the camber and toe go to the negative side. this means the tires lean inward from the top (camber) and point outward from the front (toe). the excessive toe out will cause the bumpsteer you are experiencing because the tires are trying to dart outwards more when you hit a bump.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you're experiencing isn't actually bumpsteer...it's a bad allignment or worn parts. In order to see what bumpsteer really is, you need to remove the spring from one side, re-assemble it (without the swaybar attached either) and put a jack under the suspension. Let it go to full droop and measure how far that spindle is toed in or out. Now move it up to full compression and measure how far it is toed in or out...also take note of how much up/down travel you measured. Your total bumpsteer is then the change in toe divided by the change in height (some people measure it in angles, some measure it in inches...depends how you're comfortable measuring it I guess). This overall sweep of motion won't change when you lower a car...but you may wind up in a more extreme part of the range (it is most likely not linear). Either way, what you're experiencing is not a bumpsteer issue, and 99.9999% of what you're feeling will be dialed out with a proper allignment and replacing all of your worn front end parts.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree that you don't have an actual bumpsteer issue. I don't in my car, and it's lowered. You have a problem with bumps and the car not being stable. Of course the front alignment and suspension parts need to be good and not falling out of the car. I suspect that's not the issue either, as I'd hope you got it re-aligned. I'm sure, as it normal, is that you are feeling the complete lack of control that insufficient damping (read: poor shocks) gives.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I've also noticed a greater amount of "groove walking" when the tire pressures are set too high.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

i replaced the shocks both in front and rear, so it seems like an alignment is in order here thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Bump Steer