Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Raised Spindle for Lowering Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to have good handling, a medium ride height while driving, a dropped to the ground height when parked, an optional 4x4 mode for steep drivways and good ride quality. I know it's pretty much impossible, but I may have found a solution.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/800200-koni-gc-plus-air-cylinder-idea.html

I hate seeing those tire gaps as well, but hey, you can't see them when your driving the car, only when it's parked. So the obvious solution is to have 2 different ride heights.

I know a company selling front shock/airbags for our car for about $525 a pair which is real steal compared to Air Ride Technologies at $1000 pair, but I have no clue about the shock valving or what spring rates you would get at a certain ride height. The same is true with the Air Ride brand units as well, so I'm iffy about both of them.

I also know of a short hydraulic cylinder that is mounted on top of a coil spring to change the rear suspension preload on circle track cars, but it's stroke is quite small and is adjusted by hand turning a **** within the drivers reach. I like that idea if the stroke where greater and I had automatic control of the fluid. Then you could mount them under the front shocks, use the GC kit to drop the ride height which would compensate for the extra height the adjustor takes up and you'd have an adjustable ride height using great springs and shocks.

You could set a tall ride height, get the suspension aligned and then use the cylinders to drop the car when you turn the engine off. Every time you get out of the car it would look slammed, but it would still ride and handle like a dream.

You can call me crazy, but if we can get some smart folks who can think outside conventional wisdom, it should be possible.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Spindles

removed by Admin

Non-Sponsor soliciting is not permitted here.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now it seems we will have 2 companies making them. Damn, did I motivate all this with my drop spindle talk a while back? Doubt it.

Anyway, here is a picture of a soon to be available drop spindle from the above Racecraft:

and this one.

You'll have to Google it for a link. $550.

This one looks kind of strange. It doesn't look like it accepts the stock wheel hubs or ABS parts. It may use a light weight rotor and be meant for drag use only. I can't say for sure right now.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-07-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racecraft Inc.
removed by Admin

Non-Sponsor soliciting is not permitted here.
I REALLY hate this bullshit. Why is it no one can ever talk about something if they're not a sponsor. I thought this site was about information sharing, not deleting posts and hiding information. I feel like I've just moved into communist China here!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I REALLY hate this bullshit. Why is it no one can ever talk about something if they're not a sponsor. I thought this site was about information sharing, not deleting posts and hiding information. I feel like I've just moved into communist China here!!!
This website isn't free. It's the sponsors who pay the bills to keep it running. Maybe if every member paid 50 cents a month to use this site we wouldn't need these rules, but hey, I doubt people would go for that.

Anyway, a clever trick is to just look at the image URL to get the companies website or you can post the link, but as text only. I believe pictures are fine to post as well so we really can talk about stuff while staying within the rules.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

It's one thing to remove a link. It's another to delete the post entirely. I'm sure they probably banned them as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know about banned, but it seems Racecraft is trying to become a sponsor here. We'll have to wait and see.

Corner Carvers has a thread on their Mustang drop spindle and those guys are pretty serious about road racing.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=34665

I haven't found any info on the PA Racing spindle yet.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It's too bad that you can't even pass along a web site for a product. Add the fact that Mark has asked for information to become a sponsor with no response.

Mark is a good guy, he did the Chassis on my 2005 Race Car. I will be dropping my 4th gen Camaro off for a complete 10 point moly cage and front and rear suspension.

In response to questions about the dropped spindles their website is racecraft.com

Hope this helps

Robin

Last edited by Robin L; 10-23-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad news about the Racecraft drop spindle is that it uses Gen 3 brake setup. I emailed Mark, and he got right back to me but not with the answer I was hoping for. I also saw that the PA drop spindle is only recommended for Drag Racing.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why in the world would they do a 3rd gen brake setup? I'm guessing it's a drag race only part as well. Man that sucks.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wanted to bring this back up as I have a tough question I hope someone can answer for me.

Concerning making a 2" drop spindle:

What would be the difference in mounting the lower balljoint 2" higher than stock and using a balljoint that has a 2" longer shaft on it?

Basically, the only difference I see is where the actual pivot point is. Does it matter where the actual pivot point is?

I haven't found a longer balljoint and it would be very easy to mod the A-arm to raise the stock balljoint mount.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

After a lot of thought, I think raising the balljoint location would be equivalent to making the stock A-arm bowed down in the middle and then just dropping the ride height 2". It will be just a geometry change. For example, instead of the arm being being level with the ground, raising the ball joint would be like lifting the end of the arm up 2" (just with the lower shock mount in a lower position) so it's no longer level. It will look level, but it woun't be. I think the only real result is a small loss of camber gain under compression.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I plan to shorten the top of the spindle so all the upper arm geometry will stay the same. Overall, I think this will duplicate a dropped spindle except for the slight reduction in camber gain I mentioned.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just a update.

Racecraft dot com has drop spindles for the 4th gen. I updated the pics a few posts up.

Racecraft Inc. now has a 1993-2002 Camaro 2" Drop Spindles in stock and ready to ship. Theses spindles are TIG welded in our fixtures, using CNC and Hydroformed steel components. These spindles also offer an astounding 42.1 lbs (these are true numbers not advertising hype!) of total weight savings over stock when used with the Strange Engineering 1982-1992 4 Piston Drag Kit (P/N 330010).

Spindle weighs as shown 10.8 lbs.
Strange Pro steel brake kit 33.5 lbs.
Racecraft Inc. spindles and Strange brake kit 55.1 lbs.
Stock spindles and brakes 97.2 lbs.
Racecraft Inc. vs. Stock 42.1 lbs.
The hub pictured below will allow you to use a 4th gen rotor on the 3rd gen spindle bosses. So it should be no problem mounting a 12", 13", 13.4" or 14" F-body or vette rotor on the Racecraft spindle.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-07-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Just a update.

Racecraft dot com has drop spindles for the 4th gen. I updated the pics a few posts up.

The hub pictured below will allow you to use a 4th gen rotor on the 3rd gen spindle bosses. So it should be no problem mounting a 12", 13", 13.4" or 14" F-body or vette rotor on the Racecraft spindle.

how much does a stocker weigh? what would be the real weight savings be just by going to this spindle with factory rotors?

I know this is extremely old but i'm just checking it out now and I don't want to yank my spindle out to weigh it... the car is going to be a corner carver though.

Quick Reply: Raised Spindle for Lowering Body