Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer or WillWood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baer or WillWood?

Just curious to what u guys think about these two companies and their products. When upgrading performance I am also thinkin of slowin the speed down afterwards so anything would be nice. Thanks for any input. Justin
Old 06-08-2003, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Baer or WillWood?

I think Baer makes better products, but they are 2 or 3 times the cost of WilWood (Baer 6 piston Alcon setup = $3500+ / WilWood 6 piston $1200).

This does not make WilWood "bad" by any means. There are a lot of people using their products without any problems. For the average person driving around on the street, one is as good as the other.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Baer or WillWood?

Before you go plunking down dollars with lots of zeros printed on them, look at rotor diameter and the size of the brake pads to give you a swept area.

I think you will find that a C5 conversion, like from LG motorsports for ~$800 gives as much swept area as comparable 13" rotor brake kits out there.

As an added bonus, you won't have to run spacer plates for the calipers to clear the wheels and wheel spokes. Also, you can get replacement parts at most ANY parts store across America. Plus, you won't have to re-finance the car to get replacement rotors and pads ...

FWIW ...
I've run ...

stock OEM with the following combinations ...
OEM, KVR, DBA, EBC, Power Stop, Power Slot, Aimco rotors.
OEM, Durastop, Durastop Gold, KVR, Hawk, Carbotech pads.

C5 conversion with the following combinations ...
DBA, Aimco and EBC rotors
OEM, Hawk and Carbotech pads

Prospeed Motorsports 4 piston Brembos ...

The thing that I've noticed is that as the braking kit goes up in price and complexity, the performance increments up less and less.

I mean, once you get into ABS, what is all that braking power do for you?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Before you go plunking down dollars with lots of zeros printed on them, look at rotor diameter and the size of the brake pads to give you a swept area.

I think you will find that a C5 conversion, like from LG motorsports for ~$800 gives as much swept area as comparable 13" rotor brake kits out there.

As an added bonus, you won't have to run spacer plates for the calipers to clear the wheels and wheel spokes. Also, you can get replacement parts at most ANY parts store across America. Plus, you won't have to re-finance the car to get replacement rotors and pads ...

FWIW ...
I've run ...

stock OEM with the following combinations ...
OEM, KVR, DBA, EBC, Power Stop, Power Slot, Aimco rotors.
OEM, Durastop, Durastop Gold, KVR, Hawk, Carbotech pads.

C5 conversion with the following combinations ...
DBA, Aimco and EBC rotors
OEM, Hawk and Carbotech pads

Prospeed Motorsports 4 piston Brembos ...

The thing that I've noticed is that as the braking kit goes up in price and complexity, the performance increments up less and less.

I mean, once you get into ABS, what is all that braking power do for you?

thats very true!!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good points mitch. Trackbird runs the Wilwood 6 piston front brakes on his car right now and I believe he likes them quite well. I've driven his car in an autoX and the system was quite powerful. I can't tell you about the C5 brakes from experience as I haven't had the opportunity to drive a car equipped with such, but I've heard great things about them. Also, in case you're interested, the Bob Bishop brackets (the ones that started it all on C5 conversions) are available again through a couple of sources. They have been renamed TrackBrackets, but they are exactly the same except they are anodized in a different color.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/349232-who-has-aftermarket-brakes-baer-brembo-willwood.html
theres the big brake thread from last weeks, theres a lot of info in there.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLMoses
Just curious to what u guys think about these two companies and their products. When upgrading performance I am also thinkin of slowin the speed down afterwards so anything would be nice. Thanks for any input. Justin
go out in your car and do a panic stop, if you can cause an ABS event, you dont need anymore braking power.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
go out in your car and do a panic stop, if you can cause an ABS event, you dont need anymore braking power.

You will by the third stop if not sooner. You get better modulation out of the upgraded kits and more thermal capacity. If you use your brakes more than once in a row, you could benefit from an upgrade.

One warning, the Wilwoods can be extremely noisy (they were not designed for street use with provisions for the shims and such that keep them quiet).
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trackbird
You will by the third stop if not sooner. You get better modulation out of the upgraded kits and more thermal capacity. If you use your brakes more than once in a row, you could benefit from an upgrade.
But I doubt that the car in question will ever see heavy use on a road course, or in an autoX. In my personal opinion, the C5 kit sounds more of what he is looking for.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
But I doubt that the car in question will ever see heavy use on a road course, or in an autoX. In my personal opinion, the C5 kit sounds more of what he is looking for.
Even a panic stop in the interstate can start to fade stock pads. The C5 upgrade is probably the best "bang for the buck" upgrade there is for these cars (short of simply just swapping pads to something more aggressive).
Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the UMI brackets for my C5 brake conversion. Nice piece. Ordered all the other parts from SDPC and Thunder, I put it all together for under $900, including stainless steel brake lines.