Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need a little help with springs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with springs.

I have Eibach Pro kit with Bilstein in the back and 3 months old KYB AGX in the front. One of the front shocks blew up recently and now car handles like **** and keeps pulling to the side.

I don't want to buy 2 new front shocks and in all honesty I'm tired of scraping my bumper and having a rough ride. I'm thinking of just getting a used set of SS or WS6 shocks and springs, put them up front and leave Eibach/Bilstein combination in the back.

Has anyone done this before? Will the front look a lot higher than the back? Any suggestions and opinions would help.

Thanks

OP
Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

...factory shocks are very bad idea.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
I don't want to buy 2 new front shocks and in all honesty I'm tired of scraping my bumper and having a rough ride. I'm thinking of just getting a used set of SS or WS6 shocks and springs, put them up front and leave Eibach/Bilstein combination in the back.

Has anyone done this before? Will the front look a lot higher than the back? Any suggestions and opinions would help.

Thanks

OP
Do you still have your stock springs? No need to buy used springs if you've still got the stock ones.

Stock shocks are a bad idea. They suck from new and get worse with each mile.

The front will be higher than the back if you do stock/eibach

The reason you had a rough ride is because you didn't have shocks that were capable of damping the springs, in the front at least.

Your best options are

1. The cheapest option: put stock springs back in all around and get bilsteins for the front. (4 stock springs, 4 bilstein shocks). You'll have a nice ride and you'll be at stock height

2. Another option: keep the eibachs and get revalved bilsteins for them or slightly more expensive- konis. Your ride will be better but you'll still be low. You can buy a spacer for the front and make a spacer for the rear very easily if you want to raise it up.

3. Most expensive option: Konis all around and new springs that dont drop as much.

Sounds like option 1 may be where you're headed
Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

I think I might go with the second option and just get Bilsteins. They were on the car for 3 years and worked really well for half a year that I owned the car. I should've bought them right away when the old ones went out. Didn't think KYB were gonna blow in 2 months.

How do you go with making a spacer? I really want to raise the car a little bit.

Thanks for the help guys.

OP
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Don't we have Bilstein shocks in some stock cars anyways? In SS or WS6?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'd need the Bilstein HD's (versus the standard Bilsteins) revalved to match the rate of the lowering springs that you have, and if i remember correctly, those are on national backorder right now....no one has them.

so right now, the main options for you are to go back to the stock springs and get some good stock-replacement shocks, or keep your current springs and get some Koni S/A's
Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't we have Bilstein shocks in some stock cars anyways? In SS or WS6?
PM'd you
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
you'd need the Bilstein HD's (versus the standard Bilsteins) revalved to match the rate of the lowering springs that you have, and if i remember correctly, those are on national backorder right now....no one has them.

so right now, the main options for you are to go back to the stock springs and get some good stock-replacement shocks, or keep your current springs and get some Koni S/A's
You're right, no one has Bilsteins HD in stock

Previous owner gave me some springs when I bought the car from him, but I'm not sure if I still have them. So I go back to my original plan, stock springs and stock bilstein shocks.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
PM'd you
Replied.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you go with making a spacer? I really want to raise the car a little bit.

OP
BMR has the front spacer.. SA002 40 bucks for the pair 1/2 inch lift
listed on this page.. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

For the rear, choose a suitable material of whatever thickness you like.. I would probably go with 1/2 inch plywood and slather it with paint once I'm done cutting it, one of those acrylic cutting boards or something like that might be a nice choice also. Remove the rear spring isolator and use it to cut a donut shape out of your selected material but note the bump in the sheetmetal, make sure you cut the inside diameter wide enough to accomodate that bump. then place the isolator on the spring (be sure its situated properly) then place the spacer you made on top of the isolater, then use 2 or 3 zip ties to go around the spring, isolator and spacer and then put the whole mess back up in the car.

and there you have it a pro-kit with 3/4 to an inch of drop.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
BMR has the front spacer.. SA002 40 bucks for the pair 1/2 inch lift
listed on this page.. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

For the rear, choose a suitable material of whatever thickness you like.. I would probably go with 1/2 inch plywood and slather it with paint once I'm done cutting it, one of those acrylic cutting boards or something like that might be a nice choice also. Remove the rear spring isolator and use it to cut a donut shape out of your selected material but note the bump in the sheetmetal, make sure you cut the inside diameter wide enough to accomodate that bump. then place the isolator on the spring (be sure its situated properly) then place the spacer you made on top of the isolater, then use 2 or 3 zip ties to go around the spring, isolator and spacer and then put the whole mess back up in the car.

and there you have it a pro-kit with 3/4 to an inch of drop.
So if I get a spacer and keep Eibach springs that I have now, what shocks would you recommend? I know Bilstein HD would be good, but you can't get them anywhere. Would KYB AGX work better if I install a spacer?

Thanks

OP
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

So if I get a spacer and keep Eibach springs that I have now, what shocks would you recommend? I know Bilstein HD would be good, but you can't get them anywhere. Would KYB AGX work better if I install a spacer?

Thanks

OP
No, sorry, the spring rates are still too high for stock replacement dampers to be effective. Revalves (which I assume will be available eventually?) or konis.