Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing Adjustable Panhard Bar.....is it tough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installing Adjustable Panhard Bar.....is it tough?

I wanted to get some 17x11's on the rear of the car, and the car is already lowered. I have an adjustable Panhard bar,...but I was wondering if it is tough to install in the garage by myself?

Is it a rather straight forward install?

Any words of wisdom would be welcome. I tried searching, but wasn't finding this type of answer.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

is it a single or double adjustable?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Launching!

It's a single adjustable
Old 11-25-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you turn wrenches and read a measuring tape?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
can you turn wrenches and read a measuring tape?
Just did my single adjustable and it was pretty simple. It will be a little tight without the car raised if that is what you plan to do. Having an alignment tool helps (or a screw driver if you don't have one) for the holes.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do it yourself.....it basically involves running some sort of plum bob off each fender, and measuring from the string to the lip of your rim, then adjusting the PHB till you get equal readings. personally, i have one, yet to be installed. im taking it to an alignment shop for install/4 wheel alignment, just to have it done right and 100%. i also autox my car, so having it perfect is a little more important then a street driver.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Do a search for some good info its easy.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Piece of cake......just don't forget to tighten the jam nut so it won't move. Take your old stock POS off and adjust the new one to the same length, install, tighten and as soon as you get a chance have a good alignment done. You can do the string alignment yourself to get it close, but a full alignment is best.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be one of the easiest installs you'll ever do as far as these cars go...the only thing that might be an issue is getting the holes to line up just right when reinstalling the new bar, but that just takes a little muscle and a pointy pry bar.

As for the adjustment, I have used two plumb bobs, some string, some masking tape to hold them in place on the fenders, and a tape measure that I use to read the measurements from the centers of the axles to the plumb bobs. Using this method, I've been able to get the measurements side-to-side to within 1/32", provided my fenders are shaped the same and I have the plumb bobs in the right spots. For me, it is close enough.

I also do all of my adjustments with the car on ramps in both the front and rear. It gets the car far enough off of the floor to comfortably get under the car to make adjustments while keeping the car level. That is also how I adjust my torque arm FWIW.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post7965868

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post7965868 review
\
That was a quick search. But were glad to help Its a great MOD and easy install good luck!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Well it is easy, but a bitch at the same time. It is much easier to do with the wheels off as the rear does shift a little bit and that little bit of movement makes it real difficult to get the APHR to fit. So if you take the wheels off it is easier to slide the rear back into place.

Then you put the wheels back on and lower the car and notice it is not centered properly. Now you have to jack it back up, take the wheels off again, readjust the APHR blah blah blah and now you notice you're still off a little

My rear is very close if not perfect, ut I just ordered UMI's "on car" APHR so that you can adjust the APHR while it is on the car with the wheels on. Should satisfy my pursuit of perfection

Quick Reply: Installing Adjustable Panhard Bar.....is it tough?