Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My car feels like the rearend sways?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car feels like the rearend sways?

I have been feeling this for a while but it feels like the rearend in my car shifts while traveling over uneven road surfaces causing the rear of the car to sway. Sometimes over big bumps it feels like it throws the car sideways a few inches. This happens some at highway speeds too. It doesnt feel right. I checked the LCA's and they were tight. Any Ideas? All suspension is stock except for Spohn LCA's. The car only has 20K on it so i can see anthing being worn out. Is this just typical of these late model Fbodys?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

"sway" can be a lot of things. Folks call a number of things "sway". The first two items up for bid are..............

The LCA's and the shocks. Did you put in LCA's that are poly bushed on both ends? If so, that's not helping because they don't let the axle move smoothly when you hit bumps and such. And the other are the shocks. They are not good, and one of the problems they exhibit is a tendency to not deal with sharp bumps or chatter bumps well at all and the rear end kind of just skips like an empty 1-ton pickup. Could be a combination of both, but those are likely your two biggest culprits.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

shocks, phb....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And the other are the shocks. They are not good, and one of the problems they exhibit is a tendency to not deal with sharp bumps or chatter bumps well at all and the rear end kind of just skips like an empty 1-ton pickup.
I'm getting that with my Bilstein HD shocks. I think I have the newer crappier valving though. The rear doesn't follow the bumps in the road. It skips over them and feels loose (sometimes kicks side-to-side).

So if you are looking for new shocks, don't bother with the newer Bilstein HD. Its a moot point anyway since the Bilstein HD have been on back order since early spring.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And the "new, improved" valving are very much like DeCarbon's are valved which just boggles my mind.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

DeCarbon shocks De-suk...
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I hit some harsher bumps and things the rear of my car feels like it jumps outwards a little each bump. Scared me at first but I've just gotten used to it now.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

But it shouldn't do that much or often... Used to it is one thing, and folks just assume that's how the car should be since they did it stock. But that's not something that should be happening much, and it only does it on stock cars because the dampers (shocks) do not work correctly.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
"sway" can be a lot of things. Folks call a number of things "sway". The first two items up for bid are..............

The LCA's and the shocks. Did you put in LCA's that are poly bushed on both ends? If so, that's not helping because they don't let the axle move smoothly when you hit bumps and such. And the other are the shocks. They are not good, and one of the problems they exhibit is a tendency to not deal with sharp bumps or chatter bumps well at all and the rear end kind of just skips like an empty 1-ton pickup. Could be a combination of both, but those are likely your two biggest culprits.
Yes they are Poly on both ends.

Thanks guys. Sounds like im not the only person with this problem. Its not severe but it is pretty noticable. I think I will try a set of shocks.
Any recomendations on shocks to buy?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'm pretty sure an adjustable panhard bar would fix it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Koni shocks are considered to be the best shock for the f body.

Quick Reply: My car feels like the rearend sways?