Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sam if money is a issue what other cars do you suggest

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sam if money is a issue what other cars do you suggest

My TA is going to need alot of work and its been sitting for a good 3 years, and its a auto.

Tires for these cars are not cheap, as is brakes

So im learning towards buying a civic hatch and using that as my 1st auto cross car.

Parts are all over, and I have a few freinds if you want to talk drag numbers went high 12s all motor with very mild cheap setups in there integras..that was on DRs but im not going to be drag racing.

Wich would make that a very fun car

pros

Very light
parts all over
very very easy to work on
can be quick and get good gas
is good on wear n tear items
double whis bone sus, and you can slam them into the ground and still have more than enough travel

Cons

Its a honda, being a fbody/gm guy im not to found of them but do like them
You get the ricer stigma
FWD urrrrggg but they are very fun for a fwd car
high theft rate
etc

Im a student/ working part time so you see were I stand
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a CRX. I heard you can get rotors for it for like 10 bucks a piece.

Our cars aren't that expensive really. I mean the CRX is cheaper, but our car is pretty cheap to modify compared to whats out there. I can't find rotors for my STI for less than 100 bucks a rotor. Also most of the decent aftermarket struts out there for it are like 1500 or more
Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

I used to have a turbo prelude and I upgraded to a z28 because hondas are not supposed to be fast so they break random parts all the time. Also even if they are fast, they are still economy cars/ beaters and do not compare to fbodys. If you are on a budget, you should not look into modifying any cars because it will all equal out into more than you are expecting to spend.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

240sx, ka-t and a decent suspension will make for one quick really fun car
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hennytime
240sx, ka-t and a decent suspension will make for one quick really fun car
plus you can throw a lsx in it then be fast
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear wheel drive...get rear wheel drive.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good lord - easiest question in the world. Get a Miata.

Probably the best autox car on the market. Cheap as dirt. Parts are plentiful. RWD. Quick and nimble. Easy to work on. Easy to upgrade.

In fact, chances are you can buy EXACTLY what you are looking for, already modded, for under $10k. No work and you can race next weekend.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Good lord - easiest question in the world. Get a Miata.

Probably the best autox car on the market. Cheap as dirt. Parts are plentiful. RWD. Quick and nimble. Easy to work on. Easy to upgrade.

In fact, chances are you can buy EXACTLY what you are looking for, already modded, for under $10k. No work and you can race next weekend.
Roger that recommendation...if you can fit in a Miata, that would be the perfect car for such an application. I, unfortunately, can not fit in a Miata
Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by |2ocky
I used to have a turbo prelude and I upgraded to a z28 because hondas are not supposed to be fast so they break random parts all the time. Also even if they are fast, they are still economy cars/ beaters and do not compare to fbodys. If you are on a budget, you should not look into modifying any cars because it will all equal out into more than you are expecting to spend.
Ive owned a very quick EVOIII 16G powerd dsm with HKS 272 cams, clean car and 26psi on race gas would move out good...

Ive had a gutted 3,000 pound LS1 M6 Z28 with boltons and a gear with a lil sus stuff..

Ive had a 94 LT1

So im not really new to the modded car game

I drove my freinds EF hatch, with shocks n springs with a JDM B16 swap

Very fun nimble car, and honda has one of the best fwd lay outs so thats why ive considerd them...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Roger that recommendation...if you can fit in a Miata, that would be the perfect car for such an application. I, unfortunately, can not fit in a Miata

What about a S2K? I think they have some more room in them
Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I like RWD, and some power. That keeps the field small. Nothing wrong with Honda's and the like, but they just aren't my cup of tea and you need to decide if they are yours.

A 240SX is a good choice, but finding a decent one is hard. 91-95 MR2's are a hoot, turbo's can be very fast, but non-turbos aren't. They are about handling and get great mileage. I find a non-turbo MR2 to be a hoot, and the are huge in the driver's compartment, just not a lot of truck space (but you have two!).

If you are thinking about seriously autoxing, I saw you mentioned it, you need to find a good car you like that is a good car for a class. And you need to stay in Stock classes because if you don't like spending money on the F-body, you won't like SP.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slick1851
Certainly not cheap, and not roomy. The steering wheel doesn't even tilt and it's in my lap. And no torque for day to day running. Need to drop gears to get into every hole in traffic, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Certainly not cheap, and not roomy. The steering wheel doesn't even tilt and it's in my lap. And no torque for day to day running. Need to drop gears to get into every hole in traffic, etc.
Sorry I was suggesting that for the guy who posted about the mazda being to small for him, maybe he could fit into a S2K.

Ive seen some evo owners switch over to hondas for track cars, or even switch into some 240SXs for the simple fact there a cheap car to run.

Granted your going to have to spend money on them, there wear and tear is lighter on the pocket..

I should have been a little clear thanks for the info to all that has posted
Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I like RWD, and some power. That keeps the field small. Nothing wrong with Honda's and the like, but they just aren't my cup of tea and you need to decide if they are yours.

A 240SX is a good choice, but finding a decent one is hard. 91-95 MR2's are a hoot, turbo's can be very fast, but non-turbos aren't. They are about handling and get great mileage. I find a non-turbo MR2 to be a hoot, and the are huge in the driver's compartment, just not a lot of truck space (but you have two!).

If you are thinking about seriously autoxing, I saw you mentioned it, you need to find a good car you like that is a good car for a class. And you need to stay in Stock classes because if you don't like spending money on the F-body, you won't like SP.
Yeah thats what im looking for, somthing that can hold its own in the class it has to be raced in.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Do you know how the rules work? Stock class is very very limited.... It's the cheapest way to do autoxing, and it's the best way to work on your driving because it can't really be the car.

Stock classes run from Super Stock, then A-H Stock.

SS, you need a Z06 or 911 GT3, not exactly the price range.

AS has a lot of options, but the cheapest is a C4 Vette, but parts aren't cheap and you're no better off in cost than what you have.

BS. RX8, 350Z, not in the budget

CS. 99+ Miata, Solstice

DS. Integra Type R (not cheap, stolen all the time), some other cars aren't bad.

ES. MR2, 94-97 Miata

FS. F-bodies, Mustangs

GS. Mini Cooper S's. Sentra Spec V are both good

HS. RSX's (non type-S), an assortment of Honda's, BMW 318i's.

Honestly, you already have an LS1, right? Might be best to just make it fit stock class rules and run what you already own.

The other option is to look at the ST classes. But you can't run 12's there unless you are talking STU and you need an Evo IX or STi type car for that, which are way more money than what you have.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

ill say what i always say when people worry about what class theyll be in. find out WHERE and with WHO you will be autoxing with first. local club, or offical SCCA? every club has different rules as to classing. dont get all hooked into some class structure, then find out the only place near you to autox is a small local club, which may have a completely different classification system then scca.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by slick1851
Nope...tried that too. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs, and long legs. No S2K, no Miata.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Nope...tried that too. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs, and long legs. No S2K, no Miata.
not like i like any kind of 4cyl jap car......but there is a little less of an aftermarket for the s2k, i think. also, if interested, you cant get a rollbar in an s2k, without moving the seats up a few inches, cutting down on even more room.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Late 80's Toyota All Trac Celica GT-Four, unbeliveably fast, pretty much fits everything you want, toyota used to turn these into rally cars, and plus its a toyota, will freaking run forever