53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Strut Tower Brace's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabed Strut Tower Brace's?

Has anyone ever fabed thier own STB's? If so what did you use, and if you have any pictures that would help us understand, also if you have the discription that would be awesome, I am thinking of doing this, and just wanted some ideas to go off...
Help a brother out

Last edited by kjvail1204; 12-12-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Better title discription
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

I think i made mine out of 3/4 square tube, might have been 1 inch thought, not really sure, it was awhile ago
Attached Thumbnails Strut Tower Brace's-smaller-stb.jpg  
Old 12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default others

That looks simple enough, I was thinking more round stock, and what about the kind that run back to the fire wall anyone ever do this.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I think a firewall mount brace on an F-body increases the chance of a busted wind screen.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Damn

Really, I could ahve sworn that I have seen them for sale, can anyone confirm this, I mean that sucks and all, but I guess jsut a tubular one from tower to tower would work just as well, I know this will seem funny but what about out back, i know the hump is at the top of the towers, so is there even a need, or perhaps just putting a round stock across the hump to stiffen up the back or does the axle do that already?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been beat to death that they are a waste on these cars and not needed. I noticed NO difference at all with one......I took it off and sold it, I was tired of it getting in the way when I was working on stuff...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

The hard part with this car is you can't just run a brace across like a lot of cars because the engine is in the way.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default so whats teh verdic

I mean do any of you think this is a waste of time, or is it worth keeping, maybe ill start a poll
Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Do some searching. Polls and opinions have been done to death on this subject.

Most people see little to no performance increase with a STB - it's mostly an appearance mod. Some people swear by them, but they are the minority. Overall, I don't think they can hurt (other than additional weight and getting in the way), but it's really not important. I had one for a few months until it got in my way, so I sold it. I'd recommend focusing your energy and money on something more important.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, i honestly did not notice a difference after building mine. But it was fun making, gave me something to do and people who have been around 4th gens always ask me where i got one made out of square tube. And it cost me under $20 to make. If i were going to buy one i would just skip it and use the money elsewhere, but if i can make it and i have free time i will usually attempt it atleast.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

If you really want one, I'd just pony up $79 and buy one. Yes, materials cost you less than that, but what is your time worth? And in the end do you leave it raw metal and let it rust? Do you paint it (which adds cost and time)? Do you powercoat it (which adds cost and time)? How good a welder are you, and what's the welding wire cost?

Some folks like to build things, and if that's you... great and build away. But for such an inexpensive part, I think it's often false econony to build your own.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

i had one for a while, but it seemed like every other day it was getting in the way while i was working so i took it off. noticed a slight difference with it on....maybe
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a Red Hotchkiss bar.....looks good...handy for leaning on, and probably helps it from flexing a bit.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I can lean on a Hotchkis brace and flex it, as I've done it upon installing some shocks when I had to put the brace back on. I'm not a small guy, but if I can make it flex a bit, how much stiffness is it adding? I cannot flex the UMI one at all.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have an Edelbrock 3pt. for sale. $75+ shipping.

I've had mine on two different cars. Didn't really notice a diff, but i keep it on because it looks good and keeps people from trying to reach around to the back of the manifold. If i was hiding n2o this would be a good thing. But i'm not so I don't need it anymore.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I would ay irts a whole lot easier to just go out and buy one. Then you wont have fitting issues at all. STB was my first suspension mod and I honestly could feel the front end a little tyighter around the corners
Old 12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the question was "is it needed" and obviously the answer is "of course its not needed" its not going to make or break your car... it does look good however, and gives u a place to put your hands/rags when working on your car...

as for fabbing your own, im sure it could be done, and if u have the spare parts to do it, go for it... but itd probably be a hell of a lot easier just to buy one
Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I think a firewall mount brace on an F-body increases the chance of a busted wind screen.
I believe that this was also proven to be an 'urban myth'.
I had a 3 point Edelbrock on mine for a while with a VERY stiff road race type suspension and stiff sidewall tires, and it never so much as caused a creak from the windshield, EVEN when hitting some bad potholes on really bad roads.

I also have this for sale ($75.00 shipped) as I've decided to cage the car for road course use, and tie the forward supports into the shock towers.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can lean on a Hotchkis brace and flex it, as I've done it upon installing some shocks when I had to put the brace back on. I'm not a small guy, but if I can make it flex a bit, how much stiffness is it adding? I cannot flex the UMI one at all.
I just tried mine...1/16" flex maybe..I am 200 lbs. AND..BTW ..............I Never said...it was the best. Did I.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace's