Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone used any upgraded brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone used any upgraded brake lines?

I am looking at the Russell P/N 692170 "Camaro w/Traction Control 98-01 4 hoses in kit". Anyone used this kit, or any other? What hoses are included in the kit? I specifically need the lines that go from each rear caliper to the lines on the body, are these included? Thanks, Shawn
Old 07-10-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone used any upgraded brake lines?

I am using the Goodridge G-Stop steel braided teflon brake lines. I am using the kit with just 5 lines, as my car did not come with traction control. I went with Goodridge, because their quality is the best. Alot of people have had problems with the other brands. One prime example of quality control problems, would be Earl's brand brake lines. Avoid them the like a plague.

I've had my new lines on my car since March of this year, and love em'. They give me a good tight confident pedal feel. I installed them myself. I purchased these at the Tire Rack.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! ... I've ran Earl's brake lines for almost 3 years with a problem ...

Never heard of a problem, till now. What was the issue?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:47 AM

Mitch, there had been alot of failures with the Earl's brand.The banjo fittings breaking in two, and the swage crimp fittings undoing.The company from what I understood had a quality control problem, that they had admitted to. They also didn't have a real earnest concern, when these failures started to happen, and they didn't handle their customers well initially. They were telling people to exchange the parts through their retailers for credit. I think they even had a recall. I just went with Goodridge, because I had dealt with them previously when I was having some custom line work done on my 86' SVO Mustang.They are also on the ISO quality control standard.
I think it was a shame for a company such as Earl's to have had that. They have been around, for what, about 30 years.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah ... exactly ... and that's the reason I bought them, based upon reputation.

How long ago was this happening? How long was I out?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:31 PM

I was very dissappointed with them on that sh*t. You'd think that a company, especially in this day and time, would have some type of quality control when manufacturing brake lines.I'm just kind of beside myself on how a banjo can break off, unless the guy put em' on with an impact wrench.This was going on about a year ago, but I'm not certain. If you have a receipt, but you may be in for some sort of credit. I know a few dirt trackers, and they love Earl's products, but they aren't really the same as stuff for the street or road coursing, and they make their own brake lines to. I've heard similar horror stories with Russell lines also.

You might try going and doing a "search" function on some of the other boards about Earl's and Russell brake lines, assuming those other boards will even allow a search of any kind.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if Earl's is still having problems?

Bill
Old 09-25-2005, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

I've had mine on for 4 years now, no problems ( Earls )
Old 09-25-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

The set I bought do not fit on the front.

Bill
Old 09-25-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay hold it for brake novices like me (and others) with the Earl's brake lines can you tell us what to look for in failures?

I mean if I am under my car what am I looking for to see if my brake lines are braking.

Ahhh, now I am paranoid......

When the guys installed my Z06 wheels they messed up with the spacers I gave them. The f*cking wheel studs where stripped. Every single one of them. The wheel would fall off (partially) except that the studs would not let the bolts come off all the way. So the wheel would be stuck at a nice 10-15 degree angle, I could just image them wiggling around like that while I was driving then finally wiggling enough to come off.

Since then brakes and wheels are my primary concern.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I installed my Earl's brake lines in Jan '01. No installation problems nor maintenance issues. I don't road race, but I autocross regularly.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

I have Earl's too, no problems.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Had earl's brake lines on my street car since 2000 ... no issues ...