Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportlines?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sportlines?????

Ok so i want to lower my car on sportlines, i am already going with an exhaust that will be able to clear better. Will i also need to change my shocks or anything else like that? If so what shocks do you suggest? Also is the car gonna be a pain in the *** to drive because its so low???
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you search. This has been beaten to death. Sportlines = terrible ride and mediocre handling, they don't have enough spring rate. I should know, I have them on my car. Looks good but lets just say most full size trucks can corner better than I can.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

they look good but are too low for real-life driving around...and you will need GOOD shocks also....and exhaust that hugs the bottom of your car.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say try them, and see how you like them!

i dont agree with statement above, that a truck will corner better. my car hugs the corners very good! and i love the stance! the bouncyness isnt near enough to make me take them off. i like them, and dont plan on changing them. speed bumps suck.. but alot of them if you practice you can get by without scraping or bairly tapping. i like them. give them a try. and if you can get new shocks, and struts. i still have stock ones. but when i have the cash ill pick sum up.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have pics? Also what shocks do you suggest?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

I put them on my 02' TA last week and they are a horrible ride....was told would work fine with stock shocks but absolutely not the case.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

NOOOO don't get them!

People who say their not that bad have NOT been in a properly set up car, or they would not be endorsing these. Yes they do look great... Yes they suck at everything else. Just about every option out there is better.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

most people are just stupid, they think they can just throw in sport lines and thats it, then bitch about the ride...my friend lives across the street and we share a ride to work (his car 01 SS stock susp, my car all kinds of stuff...with sport lines) we swtich cars to drive. anyway my point is my cars does ride a little firmer than his but imo well worth the cornering gains I have more od a bitch with the ploy trans mount than the sport lines. I have removed the rear bump stops, have after market rear stocks, adj pan hard bar, and like every other rear susp bolt on...anyway my point is sport line take other susp mods to get back to a decent ride, but really any performance vehicle rides kinda stiff, well unless you have a crap load of money to spend....plus I love that way my car looks coming down the road. I will get pics this week end...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If not sportlines then what? I want the car to handle nice but not for an unreasonable amount of money....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i still say get sportlines.

the things mentioned above for you suspension. you will end up buying them someday no matter what springs you go with.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Launching!

May I suggest Strano Performance .

I would save up and do the Shock/Springs together or just the Shocks.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangefun
most people are just stupid, they think they can just throw in sport lines and thats it, then bitch about the ride...my friend lives across the street and we share a ride to work (his car 01 SS stock susp, my car all kinds of stuff...with sport lines) we swtich cars to drive. anyway my point is my cars does ride a little firmer than his but imo well worth the cornering gains I have more od a bitch with the ploy trans mount than the sport lines. I have removed the rear bump stops, have after market rear stocks, adj pan hard bar, and like every other rear susp bolt on...anyway my point is sport line take other susp mods to get back to a decent ride, but really any performance vehicle rides kinda stiff, well unless you have a crap load of money to spend....plus I love that way my car looks coming down the road. I will get pics this week end...

So your point is basically that sportlines ride like crap, but you can pile on some better suspension pieces (I'm assuming you mean shocks, PHB, etc.) and that will some how "make up" for them. Sportlines were designed poorly from day one. They drop the car extremely low; low enough that you hit the bump stops frequently, and this is magnified by the fact that their spring rate is LOWER than that of the pro-kit. Lowering springs need to be stiffer the lower the drop. Stiffness of the spring is not the only aspect of a cars ride. A stiffer spring actually would make the car ride better because it keeps the car off the bumpstops, or at least decreases the frequency of hitting them. Yes shocks and supporting mods would help control the ride, but the spring would still be the weak point in the setup. Is the stance really worth it? Your really not getting the most out of your money if you choose a lot of the right parts, then get a part that compromises the entire setup like the sportlines do.

Sportlines =
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
So your point is basically that sportlines ride like crap, but you can pile on some better suspension pieces (I'm assuming you mean shocks, PHB, etc.) and that will some how "make up" for them. Sportlines were designed poorly from day one. They drop the car extremely low; low enough that you hit the bump stops frequently, and this is magnified by the fact that their spring rate is LOWER than that of the pro-kit. Lowering springs need to be stiffer the lower the drop. Stiffness of the spring is not the only aspect of a cars ride. A stiffer spring actually would make the car ride better because it keeps the car off the bumpstops, or at least decreases the frequency of hitting them. Yes shocks and supporting mods would help control the ride, but the spring would still be the weak point in the setup. Is the stance really worth it? Your really not getting the most out of your money if you choose a lot of the right parts, then get a part that compromises the entire setup like the sportlines do.

Sportlines =
Is the car in your sig stock height i really like the ride height. I see that you have a strano set up car i might have to look into that. If you could PM how much your set up costs? Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have had Sportlines for a while now. Looks are great, I think the stance is perfect; ride and handling...ehhh, its not horrible (and no I have not been in a properly set up car, or I probably would think it is worse) but there is definitely better out there and will probably upgrade at some point.

Not on completely flat ground, but gives you an idea. You have to be careful with drive ways and speed bumps, but I daily drive mine and don't find it hard to deal with at all.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
Is the car in your sig stock height i really like the ride height. I see that you have a strano set up car i might have to look into that. If you could PM how much your set up costs? Thanks
I would call Sam Strano. He would be able to help you much better than I could. The Strano Spring/ Koni 3/4 package is a little over a grand with shipping.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put BRAND NEW sportlines and Bilsteins on my car and the ride was HORRIBLE!!!! I switched them out for Strano springs and Koni SA's a week later. The ride is AWESOME!!

I loved the look of the sportlines BUT if you saw what I have now I think the stance is PERFECT and it is a barely noticeable difference.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

id say go with single adjustable or double adjustable coilovers if you hvae the money. then the ride height is up to you.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't do it, you are gonna regret it.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also just get the pro kit vs. the sport-lines and you will need good shocks either the koni or re-valved Bilstiens. You are also going to need a adjustable panhard bar because once you lower it the rear end wont be true. I would also suggest LCA's and relocation brackets