Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is a knuckle???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is a knuckle???

I went to an alignment & suspension shop today and I was told my knuckle on the front left wheel is bad. Never heard of this and has anyone heard of it?? Owner said if I get the knuckle replaced, I will straighten out my alignment since this is the only side that is negative. I'm about to search but if anyone knows can you pls help out

thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it called the knuckle shaft??
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ball joint?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I was told that was one of the things that was wrong with my 02 Si. i never figured it out, so i'm curious as well.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

The front knuckle is basically what holds the bearing assembly, but theres more, lemme explain. In this here description, I will be talking in general, so it might not be specific for the Bird/camaro, although it will ressemble.

Firgure out your front lower control arm, or you may call it suspension tab too, it's the same there; the knuckle is fixed, from it's bottom, at the outer end of the LCA with usually a ball-joint. The upper part of the knuckle is usually fixed at the shock assembly. Now, what's in the knuckle? Well, usually it's your bearing assembly, i.e. bearing cups and bearings, with the hub all over that.

So basically, your knuckle is the part responsible of holding your wheel bearings, thus keeping them in good shape and all, and also in part responsible of allowing the wheels to actually turn and steer the car, since the knuckle rotates with the shock assembly and also rotates on the ball joint.

What did he tell you exaclty the problem on the knuckle was? Because, the guy might not be wrong in telling you it has to be replaced since it's directly related to the car's steering, but first: Has the car been slammed or have you taken big raod bumps with it? Cause it takes quiet a force in order to bend just a bit a knuckle. Second, I know he is a professionnal and don't doubt of his competances as being an aligner but, has he checked all the other parts related to the alignement or affecting it from close or far, by that I mean all the tab bushings, the balljoints, tie-rods, the shock assembly...

Try to dig a bit more deeper waht's really behind that knuckle problem and come back with that.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Might help a bit. Although taht it would more if someone had a manual shop with the Trans Am one pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Suspension.bmp (272.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ good info bro.. thanks

I'll check with him today and i'll post up. All I was told was to replace the knuckle but I'll get more detail on what he wants me to replace.

As far as this left side knuckle issue, I hit a street median like 1.5 - 2 years ago and it messed up my alignment. Popped both left tires so I know something needs to be replaced for sure
Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Waw that must have sucked, i'd might see in that case having to change a knuckle, it's prolly bend, but then again tell him to check if it's not the tab who's bent too, I have seen that happen. How come did ya hit a mid lane concrete, might I ask? And that made your two tires pop.

Quick Reply: What is a knuckle???