Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quicker steering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quicker steering?

What can be done to an f-body to make the steering quicker, or at least feel "lighter"? Is there a steering box out of something else that can be swapped in for a better ratio? What about better steering rack bushings (I am assuming the car has them, I'm still a f-body noob)? Just trying to get an idea of what can be done before I start my next autox project.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly are you asking? I know my steering wheel feels kind of loose and it has some play in it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the solid rag joint for the steering linkage. It's supposed to fix what I'm experiencing.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
What exactly are you asking? I know my steering wheel feels kind of loose and it has some play in it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the solid rag joint for the steering linkage. It's supposed to fix what I'm experiencing.
Got any more info? maybe a link?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

The LS1's didn't come with a rag joint, they instead have a coupler. I don't know if the LS1 crowd offers a different one either.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by porksoda
Nothing is broken or has any play in it. I guess what I'm asking is there anything out there we can do to our cars to give them a better steering ratio, therefore making them turn in quicker. For example, my STi takes 2.5 turns from lock to lock (I forget the actual steering ratio), which is pretty quick. I changed out to some aftermarket steering rack bushings which allowed the steering rack to move back and forth with a lot less effort. I can almost steer it thrrough an autox course with my pinky. Just wondering if there is anything to do to an f-body to get it closer to that.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if you need to turn the wheels quicker. You can get into understeer with the stock steering. I would think that a different steering ratio would make it easier to get into understeer. It all depends on your tires, alignment, and suspension. On the other hand, it's personal preference in any case.

The stock suspension setup definitely leaves a feeling of a dead spot in the steering wheel for a bit. Is this what you want to fix? A 35mm front swaybar will make your steering response feel a lot better. Better suspension overall will also help that. In our cars we benefit from better shocks big time, then better springs and swaybars. If you want to be serious, you can add some slight toe out to the alignment. I have an STI to so it must be quite a bit different getting into a car that doesn't come from the factory with the best performance suspension for you.

Also, the steering rack may bump you up in classes if you plan on autocrossing
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whereas it won't do much for the steering ratio... i found that an aftermarket steering wheel with a smaller diameter to be a real improvement over the stock steering wheel.

i can now turn in quicker simply because i'm not dealing with the stock cumbersome steering wheel. some people don't like the look, but i have no regrets with this wheel (momo commando r).
Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm not sure if you need to turn the wheels quicker. You can get into understeer with the stock steering. I would think that a different steering ratio would make it easier to get into understeer. It all depends on your tires, alignment, and suspension. On the other hand, it's personal preference in any case.

The stock suspension setup definitely leaves a feeling of a dead spot in the steering wheel for a bit. Is this what you want to fix? A 35mm front swaybar will make your steering response feel a lot better. Better suspension overall will also help that. In our cars we benefit from better shocks big time, then better springs and swaybars. If you want to be serious, you can add some slight toe out to the alignment. I have an STI to so it must be quite a bit different getting into a car that doesn't come from the factory with the best performance suspension for you.

Also, the steering rack may bump you up in classes if you plan on autocrossing
Class really isn't a problem, I'll be running it in SM so suspension is almost unlimited. Since you also have an STI, maybe you can give me some pointers about what I'm getting into
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an open wheel dirt track racecar and I have a "steering quickener" in it. It is a gearbox thet gets spliced into the steering shaft and solid mounted to the chassis. It changes the ratio. (Just make sure you mount it the right direction). The steering wheel will go from lock to lock in about 3/4ths of a turn. (Like a Go-Kart) I don't know if it can be adapted to your car or not, but its somthing to look into. You should be able to find at Afco in the Circle track section.
Attached Thumbnails Quicker steering?-1quickener.jpg  

Last edited by McNord; 02-20-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: Quicker steering?