Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Floor mount vs stock length vs cross bar mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel mounted torque arm vs stock length vs cross bar mount

I am about ready to buy a new Torque arm for the upcoming season and i am not sure which to buy. Has anybody had any problems with the tunnel mounted torque arms with the associated crossmember? Is there a reason i should not go with this setup? The shorter arm claims to help 60ft times. Should i go with the cross brace model that mounts to frame connectors? Do i have to have boxed vs tubular connectors to use these? I do not want to add much weight also and will probobly go with cmoly. Thanks

Last edited by ping2day; 02-19-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Wrong term
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you need any help please contact us and we will be glad to assist.

For drag racing I would recommend the shorter style tunnel mounted torque arm. We have very good luck with these and have vehicles running in the single digits on them. We offer quite a few options depending on your exhaust set-up and they can be supplied with a built n drive shaft loop as well as Chrome Moly is a option.

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at your products. I have a tunnel brace and loop now that i will have to remove. I just did not know how strong the mounting point would be. Have you had any problems bending/ripping that point?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

To be honest, we have not had any issues with the mounting plates. Although on a high powered car I could see it being a issue in the future.

Our solution to this our 3-Point SFC's, they bolt to the body of the car first and then the torque arm bolts into the SFC's. This allows all the stress from the torque arm to be applied into the SFC's instead of the floor of the car. Please reference the picture below and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

UMI - that looks like the underneath of my trans am besides different diamond connectors. I've had good luck with my umi tunnel mount torque arm. I'm working on my second car and second year with this same torque arm street/ track car and I couldn't be happier with it. I opted for the mounting bracket that has clearance for the header y pipe and it has held up great.

Also the built in driveshaft loop fits really nice.

Last edited by pddye; 02-19-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks again i was just looking at that setup. Do you have a weight on the CM version of those frame connectors. I have LT pacesetters and 3 inch y pipe setup. I have around 415wrhp so far. Do you have any package deals for that setup in Chrome Moly?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

The weight savings for the SFC's in Chrome Moly is 4lbs, the torque arm is 2lbs so it is nothing real significant. The torque arm is built from Chrome Moly for the strength rather then the weight. We recommend the Chrome Moly version for vehicles running 10's and faster in the 1/4 mile.

Let me know what you would like and send me a PM, I will see what I can do. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ping2day
I am about ready to buy a new Torque arm for the upcoming season and i am not sure which to buy. Has anybody had any problems with the tunnel mounted torque arms with the associated crossmember? Is there a reason i should not go with this setup? The shorter arm claims to help 60ft times. Should i go with the cross brace model that mounts to frame connectors? Do i have to have boxed vs tubular connectors to use these? I do not want to add much weight also and will probobly go with cmoly. Thanks
Our crossmember mounted torque arm comes with mounting plates so it can be welded to tubular subframes. Something to think about also is a full length style arm with an adjustable torque arm relocation mount. It is true that a short style torque arm typically is going to yield better 60' times but at a slight cost of driveability and interior NVH. A full length style arm can be made to work as nearly as well with the ability to move the torque arm up and down with our relocation mount. I have several customers running this style setup deep into the 9's. Our short style arm setup has gone as fast as mid 7's . If you have any other questions please feel fee to ask.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302