Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: what would you do if installing BMR springs ?
Stick with the revalved bilsteins i already have
12.50%
Grab your ankles and get the Koni's
87.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Quick advice please: Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick advice please: Koni's

my car is in the shop so far im having installed BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR torque arm and relocation bracket , and a set of BMR springs

Im thinking of getting Koni's, are they that much better than my revalved bilsteins. I need quick feedback this stuff is getting installed on monday.

if so which konis should i get. I dont mind spending the money if i am going to see a HUGE diffrence in ride quality. My ws6 had the prokit with stock shocks and it sucked . def want to avoid that this time

i already have BMR subframes and adjustable panhard bar
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well for one it would allow you some adjustability, which you don't have with the Bilsteins. That's always nice.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just from reading on here if the funds are available, Koni's all the way.

Also from reading on here I believe it would be better for you to get the 4/3 Konis because the 3 gen rears are better for heavier rearend's such as your 9in. I'm sure Sam and some of the other guys will chime in.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the 3/4 kit is better for heavier rears and its cheaper too! I would get them and sell your re-valves. Theres a market for the re-valves right now because Sam can't make any more (bilsteins on back order). The adjustably lets you fine tune the car to your tastes, and the shock itself is just of a higher caliber than the bilsteins. The Konis are designed for better handling attributes, the bilsteins for ride quality. pick your poison.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Banned

Konis... You wont look back!!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i voted konis because theyre the best... but im going with sams revalved bilsteins because of money... ive never really seen any real comparisons between the two... but i dont think sam would sell the bilsteins if they didnt meet his expectations... so they cant be that bad...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

When in doubt, it's always best to just pick up the phone and ask me. I haven't sold a set of Bilstein's in about a year. HD's are screwed up and I can't do Revalves. None the less Revlaves are NOT Koni equivilents. They are better then "regular" Bilstein's because I tweak the damping to be what I think is needed. I have Koni's on my own cars, Bilstein on my truck. Horses for courses.

As for 4/3's being "better" for heavier axles. It's not so much that the 4th gen's aren't good, but that the aftermarket axles are heavier than GM ones in most cases. A 3rd gen rear shock has a bigger piston, and because of it's design damps really small movements better than the 4th gen. Both are light years better than stock, I'm just simply trying to keep the greater mass of bigger axles in check as best I can. You do give up adjustability vs. 4th gen, and that's the prime issue that makes me decide. If the 3rd gens are a 10 and the stock shocks are a 1, the 4th gens are a 9.5 when dealing with the unsprung weight differences.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sizes are those BMR sway bars?
BTW Koni shocks get my vote.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I think BMR's are 32 mm in front and 21 mm in rear. I personally have a 21mm rear. I had read back in the day that 35 and 21 would be a better balance so I went with the Suspension technique bar, which wasn't the best idea because it weighs a ton. The 21mm rear swaybar isn't as bad with the weight.

This year I'm ditching my ST 35mm bar and going with a Strano front. I'm just going to replace my bushings/endlinks and keep my 21mm BMR bar though.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to change the bars (or at least the front bar). The rear bar is a very good size, simply heavier than my hollow 22. But the front bar could afford to be bigger, getting him more roll stiffness *and* saving him about 10 pounds in the process if he were to use our hollow 35mm front. Add to that since the car is a Firehawk is already had a 32mm front (and a hollow one), I see the bar as sort of a lateral move. The claim is that a solid bar is a lot stiffer than a hollow one, but it's not really true. The difference isn't nearly as big as it's made out to be. And the stock front bars on the cars are hollow from GM to start with.

That's really another thread as he didn't ask about the bars.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Quick advice please: Koni's