Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need brakes bad... stock or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need brakes bad... stock or upgrade?

*edit* it's an 02 camaro SS with 17" Z06 wheels, nitto 555's and an eibach prokit. I don't drag race much anymore so I'm more worried about how fast the car will stop and not heat the brakes up too much. I know that slotted and x-drilled rotors are prone to cracking but I don't plan on seriously racing the car.

I'm pretty much going to have to do the brakes this week (been putting it off for months) since I'm starting to drive more again.

I've got about 5% left up front and 0% out back. Need rotors, pads and a fluid flush.

I'm willing to do everything myself but ANYTIME I deal with anything fluid I make a mess (ask my ex *haha... sorry*). So I'll just take it to have the fluid flushed.

I just found a front and rear kit on ebay for about 400 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...em330216801606

also considering just doing the stock brakes and buying them through a friend of mine who manages a brake place

OR entertaining all other ideas. Don't want to spend more than 800 bucks because I have to buy tools and stuff to do this with too.

not interested in redoing the calipers at this time.

Last edited by Oso SS; 03-07-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Allow me to suggest the following page for you to look over. Specifically the BP1, 2 and 3 kits near the bottom. BP1 is 4 rotors and the pads, BP2 and BP3 add stainless brake lines (with or without ASR/TCS), and fluid.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=17&ModelID=7

Those ATE rotors have the "slots" cast in, not CNC'ed later so the structure is not weakened by the machining. The slots are shallow (go away when the rotors are minimum thickness) and the rotors are coated so the hat portion and the edges won't rust, which some folks care about. ATE is a big name in brakes, primarily on German cars.

The Hawk HPS pads are excellent all around daily driven pads, and will take some beating.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM solid rotors and some Hawk pads and call it a day. and some new DOT 3 fluid
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Allow me to suggest the following page for you to look over. Specifically the BP1, 2 and 3 kits near the bottom. BP1 is 4 rotors and the pads, BP2 and BP3 add stainless brake lines (with or without ASR/TCS), and fluid.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=17&ModelID=7

Those ATE rotors have the "slots" cast in, not CNC'ed later so the structure is not weakened by the machining. The slots are shallow (go away when the rotors are minimum thickness) and the rotors are coated so the hat portion and the edges won't rust, which some folks care about. ATE is a big name in brakes, primarily on German cars.

The Hawk HPS pads are excellent all around daily driven pads, and will take some beating.
I'm probably going to be ordering those from you. Thanks for the heads up. How long do they take to ship out?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Anywhere from the same day to a day or two after the order. Depends on when you order them, and on what day. For instance, nothing ordered today would ship until Monday.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam, I just ordered the BP1 kit through your site.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow talk about customer service!

Sam called me a bit ago to tell me that the shipping was going to be costly - and it was still way cheaper than I expected lol.

Sorry I had no idea who you were at first, I was at the doctors office and this lady next to me had all 6 of her brats running around like they were at home so I was a little distracted. Can't wait to get that BP1 kit and get it on the car!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I did my brakes at 50k, I put on new front GM rotors(gmpartsdirect price was good), most expensive pads from O'Riely's, and had them turn the rear rotors. Car has 111k on it now, brakes still work great.

Stock stuff is works great if you aren't going to do any road racing/auto-x.