Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of stock springs all four, SA's in the front and hose-mod rear? Those would be some good pics! In my case I found 1" to be perfect in the front and .75" perfect for the rear. Doesn't get better!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x4, pics please, I will be doing this same mod too. Bump
Old 11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni SA lower perch with the hose mod in back.
Attached Thumbnails Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch-10x2.jpg   Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch-17x2.jpg   Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch-18x2.jpg   Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch-21-x-2.jpg   Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch-24x2.jpg  

Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for posting you pics.

As you all can see, this method is not like a set of lowering springs. I think it makes the car look "right" as in how it should have looked from GM. Great way to maintain ride quality (not as low, not as stiff), and/or clearance for things like header collector concerns or dragging the nose.

The best dampers, a bit of ride height adjustment w/o having to buy springs. Lifetime warranty (that's honored too). You can't get better shocks for this car. While not inexpensive, a set of Koni's and lowering this way is not much more than mediocre combinations of lowering springs, shocks not intended for the lowering springs and an adjustable PHB.

Koni's are in stock, and are shipped for free for a limited time. And should folks choose to add lowering springs later, you have all the damping you need within the broad range of the Koni's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Sam,

Do you price-match on Konis? If I go 3rd Gen in the rear do you have optimum settings for fronts and rears so I don't have to mess around with them?

What is the average drop seen with Konis in the front? Doesn't look like as much as my BMR's which put it dead on 1".
Old 11-05-2008, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What does price match mean exactly? To be fair, I'm not a volume dealer, and already sell @ Koni MAP pricing + the free shipping. I also include setup information and installation details, and I'm here to answer questions.

I know I'm not the cheapest because some folks have greater discounts and make more money while selling for less. I also can't risk pissing Koni off by playing pricing games. If you call, we can discuss pricing but I ask you to consider that you get what you pay for service wise. And I will not give out setup information for product bought elsewhere (you can't get Dell to help you fix your Compaq....).

Koni drop is about 5/8-3/4" in front. Rear is isolator dependent, 1/2" is usual, some claim 1".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-05-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Sam,

Do you price-match on Konis? If I go 3rd Gen in the rear do you have optimum settings for fronts and rears so I don't have to mess around with them?

What is the average drop seen with Konis in the front? Doesn't look like as much as my BMR's which put it dead on 1".
His prices don't change, but trust me it's well worth it. His advice is priceless especially when you get beyond the basic stuff like just setting the shocks. You should get good shipping from him too since you're close by in MD which is beneficial. I've always got my stuff from Sam like 2-3 days after ordering. I'm in MA

I find it better in this situation to buy from a smaller vendor like Sam because the customer service is more on a personable level. When you call Tirerack you get their sales department. When you call up Stranoparts, you talk to Sam.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What does price match mean exactly? To be fair, I'm not a volume dealer, and already sell @ Koni MAP pricing + the free shipping. I also include setup information and installation details, and I'm here to answer questions.

I know I'm not the cheapest because some folks have greater discounts and make more money while selling for less. I also can't risk pissing Koni off by playing pricing games. If you call, we can discuss pricing but I ask you to consider that you get what you pay for service wise. And I will not give out setup information for product bought elsewhere (you can't get Dell to help you fix your Compaq....).

Koni drop is about 5/8-3/4" in front. Rear is isolator dependent, 1/2" is usual, some claim 1".
hold on, im confused. The KONIs will lower the car? Or are you talking about having the spring on the lower perch in front and hose mod in rear?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First you never called me Mike about the setup on the shocks....

Koni's have that spring perch that moves down. You can use it to lower the car on stock springs. You should NOT use the lower position with lowering springs.....

Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelg589
hold on, im confused. The KONIs will lower the car? Or are you talking about having the spring on the lower perch in front and hose mod in rear?
Hes talking about using the lower perch with the stock springs.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

oook. i get it. yea Sam I havn't had a chance. i figured id call you when im actually going to install the shocks, i still havnt decided whether or not im going to attempt the fronts myself. But i will definitely do the rears. Its been raining for two days so far and will be raining for another 2 or 3 sooo.

I cant wait though!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I got ya... Best to call nearer when the shock will be installed (I just thought you might have already done it seeing how excited your were!).

Even if you have the fronts done, you need to call me before so I can tell you what you need to tell whoever does it.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can't get better shocks for this car.

What about penske shocks? Also, dont lg motorsports make high end shocks aswell for these cars??
Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What about them? Great shocks if you can afford them *and* know how to valve them. I've raced against car with DA and even Triple Adjustable Penske's.... haven't ever lost with my lowly Koni's.

And LG uses Bilstein race shocks which are not adjustable (they claim there is only one right setting) which I disagree with wholeheartedly as does anyone looking to dial in a car which is why everyone else in the world runs adjustable dampers.

So let me add to my statement. You can't get better shocks off the shelf, that give you range of damping and the option to pick what feels best, let alone for near the same price.

They are the best shocks IMHO, and in a few cases we've replaced Penske's with Koni's (more a indictment on the persons who valved the Penske's than the Penske's themselves). Blaming Penske is like blaming HPTuners for some dope who messed up your tune. But since they leave the valving up to the user, they are only as good as the guy building them.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

I called there a couple of times but can't get anyone. Guess I have bad timing.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what i am about to ask is highly frowned upon but i want to know everyones opinion... I have an SS which is suppose to be a better spring than the stock camaro. so i dont have problem keeping them. and im about 90% sure im buying koni's but what would be the major disadvantage of maybe cutting a quarter or half of coil off the spring it would give me a little bit lower and i think change the characteristics on a little bit.... ok your opinions
Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I called there a couple of times but can't get anyone. Guess I have bad timing.

I work 11-7 ET (better hours to cover the entire US). Did you leave a message by any chance? I am but one man, and have more than one phone line coming in.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by a383z
I know what i am about to ask is highly frowned upon but i want to know everyones opinion... I have an SS which is suppose to be a better spring than the stock camaro. so i dont have problem keeping them. and im about 90% sure im buying koni's but what would be the major disadvantage of maybe cutting a quarter or half of coil off the spring it would give me a little bit lower and i think change the characteristics on a little bit.... ok your opinions
And what year SS is it? Does it have a base suspension? If it's a mid-2000 on (roughly) and has a base suspension (most do) the springs are stock Z28 springs.

Cutting springs leads to a world of issues. You don't know what you'll get for height, you can't go back, the ride suffers because you don't gain enough rate to counter the amount of lowering.

Since you are leaning Koni, remember you can get a slight drop (for free) with the Koni's without touching the springs at all. No other shock offers that ability in front, you can do it in the rear to any car regardless of the shocks.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for posting pics Giddswat, looks like a real nice ride you got.

I have already done the hose mod (looks much better), but I'm not sure if it's low enough for me. I don't want to drop too much in the front, because I got front GFX.

I wonder if anyone has pics of a TA with hose + perch mod on stock springs? (These pics should be added to the stickys!)

Guess I'll have to decide if it's low enough for me when I get the konis and perch mod on.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SS im not sure of the month but its a 2000 and the springs say slp so does that mean the level im not sure. But that raises some thoughts for me since if i do go to koni's wouldnt the adjustability of the shocks make up for some of theat that that you dont know what spring rate your gona get out of it.. and two as long as im willing to go take on and off to get the ride hight i guess eventually it will level out... My only issue is being this is my semi daily. I dont want it to go to uncomfortable or too low...Heck if someone would make a shock that isnt the 800 price tag of konis and could handle being lowered i would be estatic.. but the koni perch and isolater removal is about half an inch off where i want to be...

Quick Reply: Konis w/Stockers on Lower Perch