Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

can someone clarify this about lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can someone clarify this about lowering springs?

I have a set of Strano springs waiting to be installed. I just put a new Corsa exhaust with electric cutout on a few days ago...and the lowest point on the cutout is about 3.5" from the ground.

If springs suggest, lets say, a 1.5" drop, does that mean the gap from the bottom of the car to the ground is 1.5" lower, or is that the gap from the fender to the tire that is getting 1.5" closer? I just don't want to put these springs on and then trash a $1000 exhaust setup when pulling into someone's inclined driveway or on a speed bump.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fender gap and bottom of the car gap is the same thing...just measured in different places. They are both fixed parts of the car effected equally by lowering springs. So your exhaust will be a little lower. Just adjust your driving style to compensate...or sell me your springs
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

There's no specific threshold that sets off a "car is too low" alarm. When you lower the car, your chances of bottoming out changes in different ways.

What shocks are you running? Look at it this way. Your bumpstops define your lowest point of suspension travel. If those stayed the same, then you don't go any lower than you potentially could with stock springs. You will be fine on roads. Go slow over speed bumps and on crappy gravel driveways that might have some holes in them.

I have stranos with konis and my lowest point is my cats on my kooks y-pipe. I bottom out once in a while on speedbumps and in my horrible driveway, but its my own fault because I would never bottom out if I just went slower.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Bilsteins on my car now...probably won't change those out for a long time. I think in the worst case scenario, I would just remove the cutout and replace it with a bullet muffler. I don't really need to be loud, but its nice to send pedestrians running for cover sometimes.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

I'll say it will be close, if you put them on you just need to watch out for speed bumps and such.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you only have 3.5" ground clearance with the stock springs I would try to adjust your exhaust. That's very low.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've tried adjusting the exhaust both ways....one way the Y pipe bangs like a ****, and the other way, the heat shield rattles against the pipe over the axle. These damn Pacesetter Y's suck the big one. I guess maybe poly motor mounts and then try adjusting again??
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I guess maybe poly motor mounts and then try adjusting again??
Thats what i would do.