Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, the car is done...everything is in place and everything went smooth* according to the installer. Just spoke to the guy on the phone, his shop is an our away from me so I havenīt seen the car yet. He is taking it to alignment shop tomorrow, but he will be performing the job himself (he is well known there, use to help them out when they have a lot to do) and then take it out for a road test. Then Iīm supposed to collect the car ..but you know what, itīs my week with the kids and on top of that my son having his birthday party
Guess I have to wait a little, little more..but he told me It felt very solid when he drove it of the ramp..

*no reported problem when fitting the front sway bar. I know some have had issues with tight D bushings.

CJ/Sweden
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Before Strano Suspension...

After...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

^ wow, looks good man, itīs a killer. Whatsīs your impression of the setup, ride and handling?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

Spoke with the installer on the phone again. The car is now aligned and road tested. He told me; -you have a go-cart waiting her..
Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I love it. I had Strano stuff on my WS6 before I sold it. I bought this car Wrecked and rebuilt it. I went with Strano again cause it is some good Stuff...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Alright everybody, brought the car back from the shop today and I couldīt be happier! Took the motorway home, adjusted the cruise control to about 94 mph and just...relaxed. The drive was about 40 min and the road is all but perfect. Itīs up and downs, bumps, sweeping turns and road imperfections. But the car handled great and went straight as an arrow. I was in a bit hurry and barely made it home to pick up the kids in time. Now, the car have to sit for a while. I have to focus on the kids, itīs their weekend and my son having his birthday party. But I can tell you this, this is very promising and I will get back to you later, and Sam -hey you are the man!

The front shocks are set 5 sweeps from soft and 1/2 turn from soft rear
Noticed that Good year website (EU/Germany) recommend 30 psi front and 36 rear for this car, 245/50-16. Is this strange? (I have General 2000) Iīll have to cheek next time, think I have to much.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would dial down the rear tire pressure to 30-32. Congrats!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

^alright, did that and itīs insane! The car ride and handling is soooo much better. Drove the kids to a school theater thing, so I had 20 minutes to cheek this and took her out on the back roads... Iīll be back with more info
Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent!!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Her she is, looks like a plain Jane.. The euro Camaro mirrors and fog lamps isīt helping either. Got the US mirrors though, hope they fit.
Attached Thumbnails Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_bak.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_baksida1.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_baksida2.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_frontsida1.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_frontsida2.jpg  

Old 04-28-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so how does she drive?

you need to pick up some wheels and tires
Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

...more
Attached Thumbnails Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_hjulbak1.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_hjulbak2.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_hjulfram1.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_hjulfram2.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_sida2.jpg  

Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Ohh sheīs got great potential! Maybe a bit to stiff, guess I have to turn down rebound and play with the settings a bit. Went from 37.7 psi tire pressure (uuuhhh) to 32. So much better! I will try 30 psi in the rear tomorrow..
Old 05-03-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Good choise CJ, so now i need to look out for a Camaro in the rear as well.
Now we can kill some euro/japs in paire on twisty roads in Sweden.
Check out my handling mods Garaget.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

^ Ha, ha nice to see some Swedes around her. Nice machine you got there buddy. Some heavy tuning on that car. How is she running with all that goodies? Actually, Iīm back from a "road test" with my car. Took her out on the back roads* to test how she will react on different settings on the konis (rear). First I had 1/2 turn from soft and she felt a bit bouncy ("jumpy") compare to how the front reacted. The front is 5 sweeps from soft. Then I tried 1/4 from soft, now she was way more softer but I had a feeling that I tuned her "further away" from the front. So next thing. Lets be wild and crazy, I changed to 1+1/4 in the back. (I know most are running full soft, but I thought what the hell, give it a shot and see what happens) I was surprised! I actually liked it. She felt more connected as a unit, not rock hard but rock solid. I had a buddy with me this time and before we went of I told him that it might be harsh. And it didīt happen! Cool. Well, Iīm only in the beginning of all this tuning, trying this and that. I understand that, and I will try more settings. But I can tell you this; the car is not the limit now. Itīs me . Help! I need to sign up at a performance driving school..

*Back roads (not so good), bumps, up and downs and twists. Speed about 75-106 mph
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you're liking your Strano/Koni setup, although i really didn't have any doubts about it, once i experienced it for myself....i love mine and it would take a LOT of convincing to get me to change to something else.

also, a question for you guys in Sweden (and anyone else not in the U.S.)....do you guys ever get "looked down on" because you like to drive American cars, or is everyone pretty much accepting/approving/complimentary?

just kind of curious as to how the perception of American cars are by the general public abroad, other than how the guys on Top Gear view them.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Top Gear sucks! If it is not made in UK then it is ****(what is made in UK these days??) They comparing production cars regulated by all laws etc etc with some garage made UK cars produced in a volume of 50 cars only legal in UK. We all know what happend to the brittish car industry-only someone must tell the britts this;-)

Sweden has a long history with US car, beginning in the mid 60. US car is a very big business and hobby in Sweden.

(If it wasnīt for the USA , Britts would sing Deutchland Deutchland uber alles as their national anthem)(no hard feelings)

Last edited by vikingramair; 05-04-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

As a multi-national abroad here in OZ, I too have came across Swedes, Norwegians, and Finns, and I can tell you that just about everyone of them that I mentioned about the Camaro's I've had, they not only instantly recognised the name, but also have much positive regard to them as well.

While I'm at it, I also should mention that there are many Australians as well who are all too familiar with their "non-Holden" GM vehicles around the world. They too know a lot about the F-bodies since there is a Firebird/Camaro club here as well.

I've also encountered many Brits (in their native land as well as abroad). While they have cherished some of their UK brands, many of them have held GM's in higher regard than their own (mostly because of GM's powertrain engineering, which several kit cars there tend to use). AFA the British marques go, I think the smaller volume cars that use mostly American drivetrain are much more reliable and perform better than those "luxury marks" that many see abroad. Frankly, those luxury marques are definitely no where near what they used to be.

IMHO, Top Gear is now extremely overrated. It's just another one of those shows that have way too much talking, way too many audience members in the studio, and not enough "real-world" specs to go along with the "stig's" one lap comparo. My advice to the producers: less-talk, more production work.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
....do you guys ever get "looked down on" because you like to drive American cars, or is everyone pretty much accepting/approving/complimentary?
Hi there, glad you asked that question! Well, not really but the common knowledge people have, or refer to, is that American cars mainly have focus on ride, not handling. (DeCarbon anyone?) Build quality and fuel economy is also a subject thatīs popular to "throw in our face". The thing is, and this is interesting part, because our cars got V8 we are compared to more exotic rides that cost waaaayyy much more. As for the handling -Good thing we got Mr Sam Strano to put us all in the right direction to prove their wrong

As Wikingramair mention; we have a lot of US cars, both classic and newer ones like the 4th gen Camaro. Hell, I believe we have more Corvettes per capita then no other country outside US. We also have Camaro Cup racing (road race) for a long time. Itīs a racing cup thatīs been around for about 30 years now. Summertime there is a lot of club gatherings, power meet, summer meet, drag race and so on. I guess we are prone to adopt things, and the romans with US started in the 50th with rockīn roll, food, clothes and..cars
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Foxxtron;9293822] As a multi-national abroad here in OZ, I too have came across Swedes, Norwegians, and Finns, and I can tell you that just about everyone of them that I mentioned about the Camaro's I've had, they not only instantly recognised the name, but also have much positive regard to them as well...

How ya doing mate! Nice to see some one from down under. I guess this is a international thing.

Quick Reply: Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?