Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing well cjb, and I'm glad that you and vikingramair have noticed this board. And yes, it's an international thing here on ls1tech.com as I have also seen a German on here, who's quite enthusiastic about his Camaro as well. I should also note here as well that I've also encoutnered plenty of Germans and they too know all too well about the 4th Gen F-body (though the ones I've met mostly drive smaller cars in their homeland, that's if they choose to drive at all).

AFA me being a "permanent res" here in AUS, I'm still contemplating it, but I guess that will eventually make me some sort of "triple-resident", since I lived in the US for a long part of my life. Basically, I rarely use the term mate, and also it's kind of funny how many of the Aussies I've encountered who are younger than me rarely ever use the term mate anymore (at least the people I know very well).

I'm glad you like your "Stranoised" setup. Like some others around here, I as well as other's have tried a majority of other setups, and to be honest, it's really hard to beat with concerns to a majority of daily driver/AX setups. You too have discovered that there really isn't much you have to do to the 4th Gen F-body to really see it's potential to handle well, yet be comfortable in.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Staging Lane

@cjb

Hello,

you should stay away from these GENERAL XP 2000 Tyres. I had them on my Z28 too and they peformed poor even new, especially on wet streets.

They got even worse when they were older, so it was nearly impossible to drive around corners when it was raining. Braking was horror.

Just my experiences...

Holger
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Hello, you should stay away from these GENERAL XP 2000 Tyres.....Holger
Thankīs Holger, just as I suspect. What about dry roads, whatīs your impression? I have a feeling that I should take it easy in the corners, even on dry roads. (Hey, nice to see a guy from Germany her!)
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

I only bought this brand, because there was no other alternative in Germany in 245/50R16 available. But even new and on dry roads, it performed not nearly as good as the GoodYears, I had before.

When they were a few month on the car, they became hard. They performed poor on dry streets and on wet streets they were really dangerous.

First I blamed the car and I was thinking about selling my car, but than I bought 17x9"rims and 4 new Hankook Ventus Sport K104 tyres... What a difference! It was like driving a different car.

Throw them away...

Holger
Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Hey cjb,

I've seen your pitcures... Your Z28 is navy blue!

I tried everything to get one in this colour, but they had only one silver one and seven red one here in germany...

I've also seen, that you still have the european exhaust system, right?

This was the first and best mod, I made on my car. I mounted the US-Camaro-SS exhaust. Much better sound and I think, a little more power. (The european exhaust is very restrictive).

Enjoy your car, Holger
Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

I only bought this brand, because there was no other alternative in Germany in 245/50R16 available. But even new and on dry roads, it performed not nearly as good as the GoodYears, I had before.
When they were a few month on the car, they became hard. They performed poor on dry streets and on wet streets they were really dangerous.
First I blamed the car and I was thinking about selling my car, but than I bought 17x9"rims and 4 new Hankook Ventus Sport K104 tyres... What a difference! It was like driving a different car.
Throw them away...Holger
Yeah, Iīll do that. New tires will be my next mod!

Hey cjb, I've seen your pitcures... Your Z28 is navy blue! I tried everything to get one in this colour, but they had only one silver one and seven red one here in germany...I've also seen, that you still have the european exhaust system, right? This was the first and best mod, I made on my car. I mounted the US-Camaro-SS exhaust. Much better sound and I think, a little more power. (The european exhaust is very restrictive).
Enjoy your car, Holger
Yes, itīs a nice color! Cool about the SS exhaust, tell me. How much did you pay for that? Does it come like a "cat-back" system and do you have to bye other stuff to make it fit? I was thinking of getting Dynomax super turbo cat-back system. Has a nice tone to it but I donīt know how it will perform. GMMG is nice to but maybe itīs a bit to loud in the long run, hefty price to. Considering all stuff I bye from US end up twice as much due to shipping/custom/taxes GMMG ends up to about 1400 dollar. I will put up some new picts tomorrow (yes, I was out road testing again) so you can take a look at my new outdoor mirrors!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Well, back and best! As I said ^ I took her out yesterday. Beautiful evening to road test the car. Iīm still running 5 sweeps from soft in front and 1+1/4 sweep from soft in the rear. Am I crazy running that much in the rear? Is it dangerous? Is there a possibility that I will lose her in the rear or get a snap oversteer? Anyway she runs so f..g good , firm yes, but very liveable. I was driving (cheek the picts) on the back roads for about 2 hours. Some parts of the road are horrible but I was surprised she managed so well. Frankly, the longer time I drove the better she felt. How is that possible? Is it just me imagine, getting more use to the car as I was driving along, or can it be so that tires and dampers reach sort of "working temp" where they perform best? Iīm taking her out again this evening. This time Iīll turn down the rear to 3/4. Cheek my new (used) mirrors in the picts, cost me a fortune..
Attached Thumbnails Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_baksida_vid-sj-_2.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_baksida_vid-v-g_4.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_baksida_vid-v-g_5.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_frontsida_vid-sj-_2.jpg   Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?-cam_frontsida_vid-v-g_2.jpg  

Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mirrors look much nicer than the ugly euro ones.

Wheels and exhaust now!!!!!

glad you like your setup, I can't wait to start pushing mine when i go pick it up this weekend.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

mirrors look a lot better!

I may have missed it...but what are the lights on the rear bumber for? Is is a law or something?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

@colby
These are rear fog lamps and they are mandatory (at least in Germany).

@cjb
If you want to keep the wheels, you should at least buy some spacers.
Do you have the same problems with inspection every two years like we have here with the TUV-Organization?
It wasn't easy to get wheels here, that have been accepted by them.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
mirrors look much nicer than the ugly euro ones. Wheels and exhaust now!!!!! glad you like your setup, I can't wait to start pushing mine when i go pick it up this weekend.
Yeah man, I really need new wheels Those are grandpa wheels..

Originally Posted by colby72olds
mirrors look a lot better! I may have missed it...but what are the lights on the rear bumber for? Is is a law or something?
Yep, like Holger (Silver) says and mandatory her in Sweden as well. Ugly as hell..

@colby
These are rear fog lamps and they are mandatory (at least in Germany).@cjb
If you want to keep the wheels, you should at least buy some spacers. Do you have the same problems with inspection every two years like we have here with the TUV-Organization? It wasn't easy to get wheels here, that have been accepted by thehttp://www.garaget.org/?car=37282&image=795557m.
Yes, we have inspections every year but I believe your TUV inspections in Germany are more restricted. Hell, a friend of mine just drove straight through the inspection with a 500 hp Iroc. Donīt know about the spacers Holger, how they work and if they may have negative effect on the ride and handling.

Boys, I just came back from my latest road test...and, and..it was GREAT! This time I tuned the rears 3/8 from soft, 270 degrees. (Not 3/4 as I stated ^up there, got it wrong) And it rocks, feels like the dampers control the springs in a very good manner! Iīm so in love with my car and want to drive all day long. Now I only need wheels, tires, better brakes, SS hood, 6 gear tranny, roll cage, sparco seat, power steer cooler, cool gauges, LCA, TA...parachute?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cjb
Well, back and best! As I said ^ I took her out yesterday. Beautiful evening to road test the car. Iīm still running 5 sweeps from soft in front and 1+1/4 sweep from soft in the rear. Am I crazy running that much in the rear? Is it dangerous? Is there a possibility that I will lose her in the rear or get a snap oversteer?
Don't quote me on this, but I *think* that will cause more understeer, and the rear end will be less likely to snap out.
I have 4/3, and when I was on otherwise stock suspension I turned the rears up to 1(0 being lowest, 3 being highest) just to see what it was like and it seemed to give the rear more bite. It seemed to me that it gave the rear so much bite that the car would then understeer more than before. It also was a bit too firm in the back for my liking, so I turned it back down to 0.
When summer starts Im going to start playing with the settings more since Ill have more time.
Anyway she runs so f..g good , firm yes, but very liveable. I was driving (cheek the picts) on the back roads for about 2 hours. Some parts of the road are horrible but I was surprised she managed so well. Frankly, the longer time I drove the better she felt. How is that possible? Is it just me imagine, getting more use to the car as I was driving along, or can it be so that tires and dampers reach sort of "working temp" where they perform best?
I noticed this too, its seems the longer Im out, the better it feels... The Konis do seem to like warm weather over cold weather, I know that much.
Iīm taking her out again this evening. This time Iīll turn down the rear to 3/4. Cheek my new (used) mirrors in the picts, cost me a fortune..
Play with the fronts as well
Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

@cjb

This a spacer:

I had 25mm in the fron and 30mm in the rear on each side... and it looked so much better!

But if you#re looking for new rims anyway, this isn't necessary. Only if you think about keeping the stock wheels.

Great to hear that your car runs so much better now!
My Camaro has Bilstein HD's combined with stock springs, 32mm sway-bar in the front, LCA's and PHB from UMI in poly/rod version. The ride and handling over the stock suspension is improved, but I think it could be better.
Have you discussed your case with Sam Strano on the phone and what kind of shipping did you use to get your parts?

Holger
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I noticed this too, its seems the longer Im out, the better it feels... The Konis do seem to like warm weather over cold weather, I know that much.
Yeah, this is strange man, but now there are two of us

Have you discussed your case with Sam Strano on the phone and what kind of shipping did you use to get your parts? Holger
Not really discussed, I was looking around in this section, trying to find answer why my car felt so disconnected. After reading a few post, asking some question I felt Samīs was the man. I got a shipping quote from Sam, placed a order and her I am Everything vent smooth. Iīll be doing business with him again.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

RE: "stiff" when cold....

When it's cold out, things like rubber and oil are as pliable or thin. Shocks use oil passing though valves to provide resistance. When it's 20 degrees, the oil responds no differently than motor oil and it's more viscous. That "firms" the shock, in fact it's what they do with the oil in the new MR shocks you see on some cars, they use small iron pellets and magnetize them which can thicken or thin the fluids. When it's cold you might want to turn the shocks down a bit.

And let's not forget that tires are rubber and that gets harder when it's cold too. And the first thing that hits a bump is the----tire. If it is not as compliant, you will get more impact harshness as well. Now, even if it's 20 degrees, if you drive the car a distance the shocks keep working and the tires build some heat, thinning and softening those things respectively. This is not soemthing that happens only to Koni's, you just notice it more because they are valved and generally set more heavily than stock stuff is. When it gets cold you don't see the change in stock stuff because any increase in damping due to oil thickness still isn't near the damping of the Koni's. Basically you have two very different starting points and because one is firmer, it's always firmer when both are subject to things like oil thickening.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjb
Her she is, looks like a plain Jane.. The euro Camaro mirrors and fog lamps isīt helping either. Got the US mirrors though, hope they fit.
i dont know what it is but i like the euro bumper.....saw one the other day in gmhpp.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
RE: "stiff" when cold....
Thankīs Sam for enlighten us, like always, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by 96ta
i dont know what it is but i like the euro bumper.....saw one the other day in gmhpp.
Hey, up for a trade? If you also dig the euro outdoor mirrors I have a special price for you!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet! Another sweed that wants a Camaro with good performance!! I have not toiced you here on the forum earlier! Where in sweden are you located? I live in Gällivare/Malmberget.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
also, a question for you guys in Sweden (and anyone else not in the U.S.)....do you guys ever get "looked down on" because you like to drive American cars, or is everyone pretty much accepting/approving/complimentary?

just kind of curious as to how the perception of American cars are by the general public abroad, other than how the guys on Top Gear view them.
As my fellow country men already told you, every body say "Nice car, Too bad it cant take corners!!" ****! Many people complain about the "old technoligy"(old fasioned) as they like to say.. and what they mean is with center mounted cam and the Live axel. But hey its just one way to solve the same probem as al cars have, with gases in and out of the motor. The fun thing is when i pas them on the street

And every body that have ben riding with me have ben amazed about the performance!

I like Japanese cars as whell.. But i Love the American cars and specialy the v8 engines

Quick Reply: Stranoized next weekend, what to expect?