Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Guys Running Strano Springs and Pacesetter LT's Inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys Running Strano Springs and Pacesetter LT's Inside

I need some assistance from anyone that is running Sam's springs, with Pacesetter LT's and TSP ORY. My lady's T/A had Sportlines, and just had Strano springs installed in hopes of a better ride and a little ground clearance to make room for the Pacesetters and ORY. The guy that changed the springs claims that there was no change in ground clearance between the two springs, but from pictures it seems as though there is maybe another 1/4 or 3/8" of clearance. Here are some before/after pics:

Before (Sportlines):

After (Stranos):

Is there anyone that car post pictures of the underside of their car showing the ground clearance with the Strano springs and PS LT's and an ORY? I'd really appreciate it. So far, my girl is pissed that these springs didn't raise the car up more than it did, and wants to go to stock springs.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a very obvious difference just lookin at the pics. The rear tire looks damn near tucked in the first pic but with the last pic you can tell there is more gap.

Yea, if she doesn't like it then stock is gonna be your only option. Looks perfectly fine to me though.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see a difference in your pictures. I have personally swapped out the same springs on vehicles for Strano's and there is a difference. You will also have a much better ride now and the new springs will help extend your shock life!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

let me know if she decides she wants to go back to stock springs, I'll buy your stranos.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Long tubes typically become the lowest point in the car. There's no getting around it. Doesn't really matter if you are lowered or not. Usually when I bottom out, its on really horrible terrain changes or hills or going over speedbumps too fast. Your potential suspension travel goes to the same lowest point no matter what springs you have.

The guy who changed your springs was a dope. The Stranos are higher than the Sportlines. Obviously not as high as stock springs.

Did you get konis?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Funny, when I got the phone call last night the guy told me as first there was "no difference" in the rear. Then come to find out they only installed the rears at the time and just lowered the car to the ground, and never moved it. Then about 1 minute later he told me it's about 3/4" higher (which is right about where they should be vs. Sportlines).

Then, they wanted me to guarantee that the headers wouldn't drag, which there was no way I was going to do since some headers drag on stock height cars. I can't make springs around poor fitting headers,

Not that it'll surprise anyone, but I also see the difference, pretty clearly.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the difference also. Still looks really good.

In terms of LT headers, pacesetter tuck up nice.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Well, she likes the ride a lot better with the Strano springs (no surprise to me). Now the guy that installed them wants to know where to set the shocks at. They are AGX shocks that were previously on the car with the sportlines, until she can get a set of Konis.

Sam, any input on where a good starting point is on the shock settings on the AGX shocks with your springs?

They wanted a guarantee that the headers wouldn't bottom out? I don't see how thats possible since you can bottom out LT headers on any height car.

Oh, and the guy bitched at me about the pinion angle for the springs? He still claims, as of 1am last night, that the ride height is the same.

Here is my philosophy: It's and Fbody. It's low. Get over it, or buy a Mustang.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The difference is obvious - especially since the car is on a sloping surface, with the downslope toward the camera. And I think it looks better with Stranos. Sportlines were too low - "slammed" - in a way that only looks good on a true custom.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

The hight looks good to me as well, as for Long tubes hitting speed bumps and such it happens and you just have to avoid them or get use to it happening sometimes.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardcore LS1
Well, she likes the ride a lot better with the Strano springs (no surprise to me). Now the guy that installed them wants to know where to set the shocks at. They are AGX shocks that were previously on the car with the sportlines, until she can get a set of Konis.

Sam, any input on where a good starting point is on the shock settings on the AGX shocks with your springs?

They wanted a guarantee that the headers wouldn't bottom out? I don't see how thats possible since you can bottom out LT headers on any height car.

Oh, and the guy bitched at me about the pinion angle for the springs? He still claims, as of 1am last night, that the ride height is the same.

Here is my philosophy: It's and Fbody. It's low. Get over it, or buy a Mustang.

Just play with the AGX settings to get what you like best. I dont' have a recommendation per se because I don't really love them any time. If you made me, I guess I'd start around 5 front, 3 or 4 rear and work from there. It's not like they are hard to adjust.

Yes, the "guy" wanted me to guarantee (his word) that the headers wouldn't drag. But then this is the same guy who claimed it's no higher, then 3/4" higher, and I guess back again to no higher as of this report. If he was expecting a stock height, that wasn't going to happen. It's pretty clear to me while he can install parts, he didn't take before and after measurements, or understand what he was putting on.

Clearly it rides better, and I use higher spring rates than the Sportlines. If I was just as low and the rates are higher, it wouldn't ride better. It is because it has more working travel and more support before contacting (vs slamming onto and riding) the bumpstops vs. the Sportlines.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much ground clearance is there at the collector?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

i was actually going to ask about getting stranos and if they go good with pacesetter lt and o/r y pipe since i plan on going with stranos..my car has the whole 4x4 mod and is in desperate need of a drop
Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

i went from stock to sportlines to stock to stranos. trust me, HUGE difference. not just in height, but also the feel (spring rate). and yes, i have Pacesetters and TDs
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i went from stock to sportlines to stock to stranos. trust me, HUGE difference. not just in height, but also the feel (spring rate). and yes, i have Pacesetters and TDs
cool..i take it you have no problems with them in your headers..seems like i definitely know which lowering springs to go with
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

headers dont scrape anywhere with the stranos on
Old 04-20-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I am glad this got brought up. I have a set of XS long tubes going on the car and I was wondering how it was going to fit.

Does anyone have true duals with a lowered car? Thanks.

I got my koni's last week. I wasn't expecting them till May. Thanks Sam!

Jason
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

sportlines are definitely lower
Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

i have pacesetters and stranos. i also have a TSP catted Y, which becomes the lowest part of the system. what a big factor is how the exhaust was fitted up. the shop that did mine screwed it up. hung everything too low, didnt place the cats in the best spot, and even welded the 02 bungs pointing down, instead of to the side, further reducing clearance. not to mention he forgot a clamp, and every weld he did leaks.

i DO scrape, on certain driveways, rough road patches, and i wouldnt even try a speedbump. what you could do to help a little is put the rear isolater back on, instead of the hose, if you did it. it will give you that extra half inch, which really makes a differance.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I am glad this got brought up. I have a set of XS long tubes going on the car and I was wondering how it was going to fit.

Does anyone have true duals with a lowered car? Thanks.

I got my koni's last week. I wasn't expecting them till May. Thanks Sam!

Jason
read and you shall find your answer:

Originally Posted by SIK02SS