Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Boxed VS Tubular SFCs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxed VS Tubular SFCs?

I'm going to order some UMI SFCs here in a few weeks but what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boxed are stronger, but sit lower and can be seen from the side. I prefer my tubulars, they sit up higher and can still be used for jacking, support, etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

I'm planning on adding a cage in the next year or so, but I need something in the mean time to keep the car straight. I already have some dimples in the passengers side rear quarter.

How much lower to the boxed sit? I have a Spohn tunnel mounted TA and right now the front mount of it is the lowest part of my car, even with my hooker LTs and true duals.

I guess I'm leaning towards the tubular now, anyone else want to share some opinions?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I'm planning on adding a cage in the next year or so, but I need something in the mean time to keep the car straight. I already have some dimples in the passengers side rear quarter.

How much lower to the boxed sit? I have a Spohn tunnel mounted TA and right now the front mount of it is the lowest part of my car, even with my hooker LTs and true duals.

I guess I'm leaning towards the tubular now, anyone else want to share some opinions?

If you are planning on installing a cage I would just do the the tubulars IMO...

We also offer a boxed and tubular version for the 4th gen they can both be found here

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

How much stronger are boxed?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Get the tubular, just install mine and work great
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
How much stronger are boxed?
I have read that if you are a serious autocrosser/road racer, go boxed. Otherwise, tubular are fine. This is second hand, but seems to be correct, as my tubular SFCs are great for my car.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s

Our boxed SFC's sit below the pinch weld under the door about 3/8" - 1/2". However your exhaust and Spohn torque arm will be your lowest points. Our tubular design tucks tight into the vehicle and can not be seen from the side like the boxed style can, they are slightly lighter as well and available with a bolt in option if needed.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I have read that if you are a serious autocrosser/road racer, go boxed. Otherwise, tubular are fine. This is second hand, but seems to be correct, as my tubular SFCs are great for my car.
Actually if you ask me, it seems like the majority of the serious autox road racer types are using stock LCA's with 1LE or solid Moog bushings.

Wouldn't the difference handling wise be minimal when comparing boxed to tubular given the same bushing type?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Ok tubular is I'll be ordering from UMI since I later plan on getting one of their road race kmember packages. At least I'll get a basic idea of their quality

Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Actually if you ask me, it seems like the majority of the serious autox road racer types are using stock LCA's with 1LE or solid Moog bushings.
Wouldn't the difference handling wise be minimal when comparing boxed to tubular given the same bushing type?
That might be true (IDK), if we were talking about lower control arms...

Quick Reply: Boxed VS Tubular SFCs?