Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solid vs Hollow sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
Have you ever noticed oversteer with the ST 25mm rear? Huge improvement over the stockers?
Heres my review: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/906703-500-budget-suspension-upgrade.html#post9218550
Old 05-09-2008 | 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so it sounds like a good upgrade anyway. Is the rear end getting loose around corners a cause of the larger rear bar? Would that happen still with a 22mm I wonder?
Old 05-09-2008 | 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
Ok, so it sounds like a good upgrade anyway. Is the rear end getting loose around corners a cause of the larger rear bar? Would that happen still with a 22mm I wonder?
Well, im sure the heads and cam have a little bit to do with it, but yes, the car is a little more tail happy. Nothing absurd. Dosnt kill the drivability. Its very predictable.
Old 05-10-2008 | 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

do the STRANO swaybars clear larger rear shocks such as QA1's?
Old 05-10-2008 | 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Srtrano hollow sway bar set is well worth the money.I waited A little longer to come up with the extra money for a set.For suspension strano is the best and they are happy to talk to you about what
you want your car to do.They spent a lot of time with me and didn't
oversell me on the other items.My car is glued to the ground. I was shocked at the results.
Old 05-10-2008 | 08:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've run both on my car, and the Strano bar gets my vote. It felt no different roll rate wise between the ST 35mm and Strano's hollow bar, but the hollow bar is MUCH easier to work with during the install since it isn't a huge chunk of metal like the ST bar.

If you were close, I'd sell you my old ST 35mm solid bar (and the 25mm rear bar too) since I don't need them anymore, but I can assure you...I'm not paying to ship those bitches.
Old 05-20-2008 | 09:34 AM
On The Tree

for the budget conscience, where would you pick up a set of st sway bars?
Old 05-20-2008 | 10:20 AM
Launching!

I felt like adding my 2 pennies, I got a set of (I think) SLP bars that came off of a 02 hawk. He said they are 35 hollow front 21 solid back. I got them for a buck 20 shipped to me... one of my favorite upgrades, the car handles great for a car with v6 springs still that can run over more cars than bigfoot..... I want to get some strano springs, but his sway bars are ******* rediculous in price..... ill take a little less and pay alot less.....

Also these sways were gigantic compared to the v6 ones that came off so that could be why they were night and day compared to the stockers....
Old 05-20-2008 | 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Really? I don't think $429 shipping for a set of bars that are powdercoated, have all new hardware, links and urethane bushing kits, and weight less than any other complete set of bars by a tangible amount is super expensive. Especially when you compare them to the only other set of hollow bars front and rear... Hotchkis (and that bar is just too big).

You got a great deal on your SLP bars, but that's not normal. And what's more, I'd not tell you to change the front (why, you have what you need), but you could save some upsprung weight by changing the rear.... about 6-7 pounds in fact. FWIW, the front bar you have, it was $275 by itself before SLP killed it--without shipping.

Prices are relative. I won't give away what I worked to sort out. I don't need to, and the costs involved in a small company like mine having small runs of things build is higher than volume players. Also the hollow bars take a little longer to bend because they can be kinked, and that adds some cost as well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-20-2008 | 11:49 AM
Launching!

I know I got a deal on the bars...... But I do think your stuff is great. And u have to set prices for ur reasons... And I do plan on buying your springs in june when they come in....... I had some intrax springs used for a buck 20 also.... they were too low for me, so I cant wait for a spring that supposd to be better and will not having me scraping when I hit a pebble...... Hurry on those springs please....... And I thought intrax was a fantastic spring as far as the handling went...... but I just need something not as low, but with Strano's I definatly wont be sacrificing handling which is very important. And swapping from v6 springs (which I have now) to Strano's is gonna be brilliant..... again im just waiting for them to come in so I can buy some.... I know I can pre-order but im just gonna wait till they come in....

Also im not tooooo worried about weight in the rear as much as all the weight in the front of my car....
Old 05-20-2008 | 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Really? I don't think $429 shipping for a set of bars that are powdercoated, have all new hardware, links and urethane bushing kits, and weight less than any other complete set of bars by a tangible amount is super expensive.
Besides the stocker, I've had the BMR the ST and the Strano. The BMR and the ST were sold, the Strano was the best. I didn't like the ST on my DD, too stiff.
But... I gotta smile at Sam getting indignant about his pricing. Between the 3, his bar takes the most fussing with to install. The endlink bolts are barely long enough to get the nut threaded and the bar doesn't just fall into place the way the others do. And the finish on mine (not powdercoat as far as I can tell, just paint) is not nearly as durable as what came on the BMR and ST bars. Still, it's the bar I kept between the 3.
Old 05-21-2008 | 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

For a long time the bars were only painted, they are now powdercoated, though that was never a big concern to many and something I'd have done without, Addco made that change and preferred that the bars be coated (since they are warranted by Addco). FWIW, there are plenty of rusty ST bars around too.

As for me getting "indignant", I don't think I was being indignant, just addressing the statement. Though I wonder how any of you would react if someone walked in to you, at work, and told you that your paycheck was ridiculous....

Ridiculous: arousing or deserving ridicule : absurd, preposterous
synonyms see laughable

I'm not sure that our bars qualify given the definition. And they were cheaper in the past when they were painted, before powdercoating, and before steel when nuts on price. Raw materials these days aren't cheap, neither is the shipping to get the bars in stock to sell them. In fact we don't make what we used to because we are doing our best to hold the prices in the current economic conditions (which, in case some haven't noticed, suck).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-21-2008 | 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

i like teway Sam tells yu the truth and isnt going to suger coat it to not step on anyones toes, just a honest straight up man that has my full respect i am waiting to order some springs from him, just have to wait alil longer to make sure i have enough money to gas the daily!!

can yall honestly complain about spending a few more dollars for the hard work he put into his products? he knows his **** and has trophies to back it up...
Old 05-21-2008 | 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that I tend to stick my neck out with these threads, but I must say that I have to agree with above statement by Sam. Commodities and raw materials demands are increasing while supply is barely able to keep up, and with the economic conditions, it's a huge s*** sandwich and everyone involved is taking a bite.

IMHO, even though Sam's items can cost slightly more than the nearest competition, the items are of good build quality and engineering, and the service received is invaluable. It also doesn't hurt the he runs almost everything he promotes. Another inferred factor here in this thread was about shipping, which is also not cheap. having more than 10 lbs. difference will almost guarantee that shipping prices will reflect that difference as well, regardless of who pays for it.

AFA the original Hammertone paint finish that was on the earlier versions, mine was still there with no readily visible signs of rust, even though the car was driven hard through many climates in weekend competition and through many adverse road and weather conditions. I know that there may be some others with not as good luck as I have had, but I like to mention this since it was/is a concern here.

Quick Reply: Solid vs Hollow sway bar