$500 Budget Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default $500 Budget Suspension Upgrade

New Shocks: KYB AGX 8 way adjustable
Springs: Stock
Sway Bars: Suspension Techniques 1 3/8", 1".

I found some deals online and was able the parts new for 500 shipped. It might be a little more if you have to pay full retail. I think summit wants 600+ for them.

Just installed it on saturday, took about 8 hours (while drinking) and got one hell of a sunburn doing it. All the endlinks and shock bolts were rusted and had to be cut with an angle grinder. My spring compressor sucks and took a lot of wrestling with to get on and then back off the springs. Air tools would have been nice, but instead I decided just to sweat all over my old shocks in the blazing hot sun.

The car handles like its on rails now. What a difference around turns. I still have all 4 corners set to 5 to start out with, but I have a feeling I may go softer, especially in the rear since I have some weight removed (no spare, rear seats, etc). The 25mm rear sway bar is very stiff, and just like most people here will tell you, the rear gets a little loose around turns. Not really a problem as long as youre aware of it. Its quite predictable and easily controlled. I seem to have considerably more traction during straight line acceleration. Wheel hop on launch and wheel spin at the top of second are both much less than they were with the stock shocks.

My only complaint is the ungodly amount of weight I just added to the car. There is a HUGE difference in weight between the old and new sway bars, especially the front. Its easily twice the weight. From what I understand its quoted as being 20 Lbs heavier than the stock setup, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was even heavier than that.

Over all, its a night and day difference in handling. The car takes corners like a champ and feels rock solid during quick lane changes and maneuvers. I understand its nothing like a set of konis or revalved bilsteins, but budget, availability, and concern over bilsteins valving issue led me away from going with the HDs. Im quite pleased with the results so far and Im sure theyll improve once I get a little more time to play with different settings. For 500 bucks, the car handles like never before.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhmm, seems nice. so u noticed it helped iwth straightline launches? i know that probably wasn't your intent, but i am going to be getting rid of my sportlines and going with a better spring, and wouldnt' mind a budget setup for my shocks to help my launches
Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, im not sure what shocks you have now, but im sure switching back to a stock or other softer spring would help out. Setting these on soft would likely help with weigh transfer, although im sure theres better shocks if drag racing is your goal.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What made you go with the swaybar set you did opposed to others?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Stock shocks suck, for everything, period.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What made you go with the swaybar set you did opposed to others?
Honestly, Price. My car has always been budget oriented, and im always looking for the best bang for the buck. It pretty much came down to dirt-cheap swaybars, or leave the stockers in.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice! Thanks for the review...I'm probably going with a similar setup soon.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Honestly, Price. My car has always been budget oriented, and im always looking for the best bang for the buck. It pretty much came down to dirt-cheap swaybars, or leave the stockers in.

attaboy. this is how hot rodding all got started anyhow. anyone can throw lots of dollar bills at something and improve it. to do the research and then go with the less travelled path and get a better bang for your buck is truly commendable.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nine-eight
attaboy. this is how hot rodding all got started anyhow. anyone can throw lots of dollar bills at something and improve it. to do the research and then go with the less travelled path and get a better bang for your buck is truly commendable.

true, but somepeople just want a little more bang. There is no denying that you have to pay to play and in most cases, you get what you pay for. I.E. the KYBs are much better than stock, but the konis are much better still.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I agree with that completely. quality costs money. I like the realistic budget approach with some results more than the "its only worth it if you buy the best" attitude, ya know?

not everyone here is going to shell out 1000 some dollars on suspension upgrades, and its refreshing to see topics like this that touch on a what is described as a major improvement for 500 bucks.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

+1 Saving Cash Allows You To Spend More In Other Areas... Most Of Us Want "bang For Our Buck" Not "at Any Cost"
Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree, this is a great pacakge for $500.

you must have got some killer deals.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
The 25mm rear sway bar is very stiff, and just like most people here will tell you, the rear gets a little loose around turns. Not really a problem as long as youre aware of it. Its quite predictable and easily controlled.
How is that a good thing????? should have just saved and got strano's swaybars, alot less weight and a perfect setup for our cars. i understand a budget but his sway bars are not that expensive and you get awsome results.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

The biggest thing is that the Stranos are actually 190 dollars more than the ST ones. That's a pretty big difference!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99zman
How is that a good thing????? should have just saved and got strano's swaybars, alot less weight and a perfect setup for our cars. i understand a budget but his sway bars are not that expensive and you get awsome results.
How is that a good post????? should have just read the title where it says $500 budget Suspension Upgrade. You know, while were on the topic of telling people what they should have done.

I was able to get shocks for all four corners PLUS front and rear swaybars to make a HUGE improvement over stock. All for $500. You can barely get stranos swaybars for that much coin. If I went by stranos standard recommendation of his swaybars and konis all around, it would have cost me three times as much. I doubt very much that it would offer three times the performance. I fully admit that this is certainly not in the same league as what sam strano would suggest, but if I can get most of the performace for 1/3 the price, Ill take it. As the others said, teh money saved can be put towards other mods.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $500.00 what the heck ,why not. I decided that I would save my money and get the best stuff and take my time. I bouht the koni 4/3 sa's and drove it for a while.then did the strano hollow sway bars with the heater hose mod and lower perch setting.The car is glued to the ground.If I had too I would of only got the koni's for a little more more money.They make a huge difference.If you like the results thats all that matters.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Good write up and thanks for your opinions and observations. This is the kind of post that helps out guys who think if you don't have $1000 just to start on sway bars/shocks/springs, then you're wasting your money. Why buy a Cobalt SS for $23k when you could have bought a Mustang GT for $30,000? Some people can't save for 6 months and wait when they want to have some fun now!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ths world would be a boring place without controversy ...lol