Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed SLP Bolt on SFC's today

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed SLP Bolt on SFC's today

I installed SLP's bolt on sfc's today. Went pretty smooth, relatively easy install. Drove the car quite a bit tonight and you can definitely tell a big difference in the ride of the car. It is much stiffer, no rattles or squeeks. This was a very very good mod. Only problem I have to look at tomorrow is when you leave a light in first gear there is a couple of clunks. I know the sfc's are tight enough and I used red loc-tite, so I know they are not the problem. I think the problem is the G2 driveshaft loop. I think the y-pipe is hitting the tunnel brace that the driveshaft loop bolts to. I'll find out tomorrow. If that's the case, does anybody have any recommendations as to how to keep the tunnel brace of the driveshaft loop away from the ypipe? Anyways, from the way the car rides now, it is an awesome mod. I think I'll drive it with the sfc's bolted on for a while, and if all stays well, I'll take it someplace and have them welded in place. But overall it was a very easy mod.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Installed SLP Bolt on SFC's today

What tunnel brace are you using, if any ?
ALso, after getting the car jacked up, approx. how long of an install ?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a G2 driveshaft loop which replaced the tunnel brace.

From the time I got the car on the ramps and jackstands, it took about 3 1/2 hrs when I dropped the jack for the last time. Really an easy mod. Hardest part was getting the bolts in the driveshaft loop (tunnel brace to line up with the sfc's and getting them started. The just didn't want to go in at first. Then I loosened the other side and dropped it down about an inch and the holes just lined right up.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only problem I have to look at tomorrow is when you leave a light in first gear there is a couple of clunks. I know the sfc's are tight enough

I think the problem is the G2 driveshaft loop. I think the y-pipe is hitting the tunnel brace that the driveshaft loop bolts to. If that's the case, does anybody have any recommendations as to how to keep the tunnel brace of the driveshaft loop away from the ypipe?

I think I'll drive it with the sfc's bolted on for a while, and if all stays well, I'll take it someplace and have them welded in place.
What torque specs did you use including the LCA?

If it's the loop hitting the y-pipe what about trying some flat washers, try about four/five flat washers on all four tunnel brace bolts to lower it ( that works on the SLP loop anyways )?

If the cars performing well with the SFC bolted in why weld them? JMO

Al
Old 08-10-2003, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need to weld them in I've had mine on for 2 years and none of the bolts have come loose.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard someone sheared one of the bolt right off the connector on their bolt-in SFC's. If you use high grade hardware it shouldn't be a problem.

When installing them, do you need to drill any holes, or do you just use existing ones? Will I have any problems installing them with my miniscule list of mods? Thanks buddy
Old 08-10-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

When installing them, do you need to drill any holes, or do you just use existing ones? Will I have any problems installing them with my miniscule list of mods?
Here's a link to a write-up that might answer some of your questions. http://users3.ev1.net/~cnl1/firehawk/subframe/index.htm

Al
Old 08-10-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the problem, the bolt on the drivers side clamp on the cat was actually touching or within a hair of that sfc. When the engine moved with torque, it would touch the sfc and it would sound like the whole car was coming apart. Turned the clamp around, and just for good measure, put a piece of this rubber between the ypipe and the tunnel brace/driveshaft loop. No more noise.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard of this brand, and more importantly, what they have heard. I got these cheap and am planning to install them this week, but if they're not good quality...oh yeah, I bought the triangular set. Any thoughts on design?

http://www.hotpart.com/
Old 08-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I have a couple sets available if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Installed SLP Bolt on SFC's today