Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks for Strano's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This seems to be a big misconception with you non racing guys

A lot of non racing people will tell you they don't know jack about suspension, YET they assume that we all ride on super stiff suspension and just jack up our shocks and use super stiff springs. This is not the case. You can have BOTH good ride quality and good handling

Shocks and springs colaborate to work together. A spring needs to compress and return and not bounce around. A softer spring won't ride as firm as a lower stiffer spring. The shocks are used to control the spring oscillation. Too much compression or too much rebound will make the ride quality diminish, and not enough will make the springs bounce several times. You don't want too much or too little for both daily driving AND performance.
Huh? What was my misconception? I think you read what I was asking. I know how springs and shocks work together. I am not concerened about getting a stiff ride or a soft ride or whatever...I am just wanting to know from Sam if I can keep the stock shocks and use the Strano springs for a short time. In that time the most car will be driven is on and off a trailer...and maybe to a cruise in or two.

Last edited by 97ramsst; 06-02-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This seems to be a big misconception with you non racing guys

A lot of non racing people will tell you they don't know jack about suspension, YET they assume that we all ride on super stiff suspension and just jack up our shocks and use super stiff springs. This is not the case. You can have BOTH good ride quality and good handling
Actually, I'm running 650# front and 175# springs with my koni's 4/3 and am quite happy with the ride characteristics of the car it is not any harsher than with the deCarbons over bumpy roads. I do Autocross and do track days but I also daily drive the car and I'm perfecly happy with the street manners of the car. I almost wish I had gone to a 700# front but then again that is moving a lot closer to too stiff for the streets here in Cleveland.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Huh? What was my misconception? I think you read what I was asking. I know how springs and shocks work together. I am not concerened about getting a stiff ride or a soft ride or whatever...I am just wanting to know from Sam if I can keep the stock shocks and use the Strano springs for a short time. In that time the most car will be driven is on and off a trailer...and maybe to a cruise in or two.
short answer: yes
not quite as short answer: yes, to a point

the thing you are going to notice, though, is that the car will still feel "bouncy" or "floaty", and you'll probably be hitting the bumpstops a lot more often. the stock shocks have nowhere near the valving to handle that high of a spring rate. so yes, they will "work", but you're not going to be very comfortable, so i'd drive it the least amount possible until you can get some good shocks.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, you can drive it on stock shocks. Not it's not dangerous (as long as you aren't working the car super hard where a lack of damping can bite you), but control and ride do suffer.

The question was loaded. I work on suspensions for folks and as such find if more than a bit uncomfortable to say "sure, go ahead and do it", especially when I see the amount of $$$ layed out for bling like CCW's and such. But I'm more a of a function over form kind of guy vs. form over function.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Shocks for Strano's?