Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....

Hey all, first off, this is an issue I am having with my Trans Am - Which is lowered with Eibach Sportlines.

I went from a stock TQ Arm to the Jegster unit a few years back, made a huge impact as far as traction was concerned, but there was always a bunch of racket going on in the tunnel when shifting, launching, etc... I was under the impression it was the SLIDE type arm, where the arm still has the ability to move a bit forward and backward.

So, I switch over to a UMI unit which does not use a slide type deal, and is just a poly bushing. Its just as bad or worse with the UMI unit.

I think some of the racket is the oversized bracket stuff that bolts to the Rear End hitting the floorpan sheetmetal a bit. I hammered it in as much as possible, but the noise is still present.

I also have a poly tranny mount for anyone wondering.

Am I the ONLY one that has this problem? I know many of you have torque arms on STOCK height cars, so you may not have any issues.

But for those of you with LOWERED cars and TRANS TUNNEL MOUNTED torque arms, do you experience lots of noise?

If it comes down to it, I'll just yank the UMI piece out and put it in the SS, and go with a Tailshaft mounted Torque arm for the T/A.

AND btw: I know for certain its not the tranny mount, already been down that road.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have this problem with the UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted TA on my stock height SS. It has seemed to get worse over time, but maybe I'm just getting more annoyed by it. To me, it doesn't feel like it's hitting anything, but more like there's slack in the suspension that it's taking up/releasing.

I thought it was my LCA and Panhard Bushings... but I put new ones on and it didn't help much.

I've gotten under there and re-torqued everything once, but I'm about to get it in the air for some further inspection.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
I have this problem with the UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted TA on my stock height SS. It has seemed to get worse over time, but maybe I'm just getting more annoyed by it. To me, it doesn't feel like it's hitting anything, but more like there's slack in the suspension that it's taking up/releasing.

I thought it was my LCA and Panhard Bushings... but I put new ones on and it didn't help much.

I've gotten under there and re-torqued everything once, but I'm about to get it in the air for some further inspection.

I've went over the rest of the suspension over and over. Everything is torqued.

It those damn TQ Arms.

I wonder if SPOHN's do the same thing?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

They're probably just as bad, but I do love Spohn's products... I've been thinking about moving back to a tranny mounted TA. This thing just isn't very street friendly (not for an M6 anyways).
Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Spohn tunnel torque arm and sold it a week after installing it for this very same reason. Just got a Spohn tranny mounted one and all is well.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the Spohn and had the same problem. I just got use to it. The best set up would probably be the Stock lenght Adj. TA with UMI Torque arm relocation kit. I think there are few that have this set up here so maybe they can chime in on whether it bangs also. My buddy just bought this so if you can wait for about 2 weeks I can let you know if it works better.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Smile

The best option out there in my opinion for great strength and quiet operation would be a full length style torque arm with a relocation mount for the torque arm.

Our relocation mount removes the stress from the tailshaft of the transmission and offers multiple adjustment holes to help fine tune the kit to your particular application.

If you have any questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask
Attached Thumbnails Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....-tcc006.jpg   Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....-ta001.jpg   Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....-lt1-t-56-relocation-mount.jpg  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

SDEMON- What model torque arm of ours do you have exactly?

The Sportline springs are very low springs and will cause issues with any after market torque arm, ours and the competitor.

Let me know what model you have and I will see what advice we may have.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
The best option out there in my opinion for great strength and quiet operation would be a full length style torque arm with a relocation mount for the torque arm.

Our relocation mount removes the stress from the tailshaft of the transmission and offers multiple adjustment holes to help fine tune the kit to your particular application.

That looks like a great kit. Is it as quiet as stock?

Please PM me a price to 75803
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech

Is there a weight savings with the relocation crossmount? That looks pretty cool.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
SDEMON- What model torque arm of ours do you have exactly?

The Sportline springs are very low springs and will cause issues with any after market torque arm, ours and the competitor.

Let me know what model you have and I will see what advice we may have.

Thank you!
Ryan
I have the model #2203. And just to let you know, the torque arm will be coming off BEFORE the springs, no doubt about it. The car looks too good low to go back up to stock height.

Not to mention, it sounds like the issue is not how low the car is, since a couple guys have stock height suspensions and still have banging going on.

I'll prolly just use the #2203 for my 2000 SS (AUTO) which should minimize the racket, and get a tranny mounted unit for the T/A (M6).

Only problem is that I really need a D/S loop for the T/A but haven't really seen any tranny mount Torque arms that have them built in.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

I like the idea of the torque arm relocation kit, but the price is a little steep.

By the time you pay $250+ for the reloc. kit, and $300+ for the arm, and shipping, well, jeeez....you get the point.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
That looks like a great kit. Is it as quiet as stock?

Please PM me a price to 75803
PM sent........ It is as close to stock interior noise as possible. You will get the occasional noise here or there but nothing like a floor mounted unit...

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Is there a weight savings with the relocation crossmount? That looks pretty cool.
Our relocation mount do to the higher grade of material being used to manufacture the crossmember versus the stamped steel unit does not save weight but it is vastly stronger.

Quick Reply: Trans Tunnel Torqye Arms and banging noises....