Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni prices going up Sept 1.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

well crap. I know they are great shocks, and i planned on getting them within the next 6 months but looks like im taking a different route now.
Old 08-09-2008 | 08:27 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

figures that they'll go up and I don't quite have the cash now to get em
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:01 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I wonder if the whole Koni line is going up or just the f body shocks?
Old 08-10-2008 | 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Red Orange 96
/\/\/\ what he said......My 4/4's are en route to me now. You gotta pay to play. From all the countless hours I've spent on this damn site, it's obvious what shocks to get if you want the best. I had the next best on my 96 TA, old bilstein hd's, and even they were over $400. They also had shortcomings too. The koni's will fix that.

Sam is a great business man too. He's not just selling you a product only. Like many others have said, he spent half an hour with me going over my suspension set up.

If you want cheap, go buy some gabriels.

I don't think that anbody is criticizing the performance of the Koni shocks, and certainly nobody is criticizing Sam Strano. The comment seems to be that $1000 is a LOT of money for a set of shocks. No more, no less....
Old 08-10-2008 | 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

It would still be a no brainer to me. Konis are a must, unless some other brand of shock that was really good came out for the car which probably won't happen.
Old 08-11-2008 | 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Fella's. You need to keep some perspective.

For those that say they won't buy a Koni because of the price: You aren't buying junk, and you get what you pay for. You also have a shock that is warrantied (and actually backed up with service) vs. a shock that claims to have a warranty, but that's denied for any reason. If you buy 2 sets of cheap shocks, and have to pay to replace them say over 5 years time, you haven't saved anything, and had dampers that aren't as good.

For those that think it's outrageous they can cost "so much". Think about what good headers cost--hell think about what CHEAP headers cost. And that's just pipe. Shocks have steel AND oil AND rubber in them. Are any of those 3 things cheap these days?????

What's a set of good tires cost. You know, something like F1D3's, or BFG KDW's? I just looked at a set of KDW's in 275/40-17 (315's are even more). They were $245 a tire, that times 4 is $980... and they'll wear out in 15-20k miles (or maybe less).

If you think about it, say Premium Unleaded is $4.25 a gallon. Car takes 16 gallons. It takes 14 tanks of gas to equal a set of Koni 4/4's (more expensive than the 4/3's) at the *NEW* price which isn't here yet.

And finally, the US economy is in the tank and the dollar is weak. A weak dollar means it takes more to buy anything, imported or otherwise.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-11-2008 | 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I wonder if the whole Koni line is going up or just the f body shocks?
Everything from what I can tell.... At least all the part numbers I checked are increasing....
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:36 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Fella's. You need to keep some perspective.

For those that say they won't buy a Koni because of the price: You aren't buying junk, and you get what you pay for. You also have a shock that is warrantied (and actually backed up with service) vs. a shock that claims to have a warranty, but that's denied for any reason. If you buy 2 sets of cheap shocks, and have to pay to replace them say over 5 years time, you haven't saved anything, and had dampers that aren't as good.

For those that think it's outrageous they can cost "so much". Think about what good headers cost--hell think about what CHEAP headers cost. And that's just pipe. Shocks have steel AND oil AND rubber in them. Are any of those 3 things cheap these days?????

What's a set of good tires cost. You know, something like F1D3's, or BFG KDW's? I just looked at a set of KDW's in 275/40-17 (315's are even more). They were $245 a tire, that times 4 is $980... and they'll wear out in 15-20k miles (or maybe less).

If you think about it, say Premium Unleaded is $4.25 a gallon. Car takes 16 gallons. It takes 14 tanks of gas to equal a set of Koni 4/4's (more expensive than the 4/3's) at the *NEW* price which isn't here yet.

And finally, the US economy is in the tank and the dollar is weak. A weak dollar means it takes more to buy anything, imported or otherwise.
I have to say that these are valid points.
Old 08-11-2008 | 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

So basically, if you buy anything other than Konis for a lowered fbody, you're wasting your money. I too have been choking on the $505 for two front shocks, but I agree with Sam, headers are just bent up piping, just like the $800 catbacks....... It's all nuts, just ask most women, they'll tell you.
Old 08-11-2008 | 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Redlinez
....... It's all nuts, just ask most women, they'll tell you.

THAT'S A GOOD ONE!!!

Just don't ask my wife.... About 15-16 years ago, she bought a full-length, buttery soft leather coat for "winter" wear. The "effin" thing didn't even have any buttons, 'cause they would have distracted from the "lines" of the coat....and, it was $1200 !!!

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i love my konis.

worth every penny.

I will be able to testify to the warranty soon, as I just placed an order because the adjuster on the front right broke
Old 08-11-2008 | 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

One thing I can't help but think... As Sam Strano previously mentioned, shocks have steel and rubber components, as well as oil. All of those commodities are going up in price, as well as the currency differences on imported goods are also affecting pricing. I understand all of that...It doesn't make me happy, of course, but I understand.

Here's where I have questions...ALL shocks have metal and rubber components, as well as oil. They may be in somewhat different configurations and/or sizes, but the basic componentry is the same, shock to shock. What, exactly, makes a Koni shock twice the price??

Yes, again, I understand R&D costs have to be calculated into the UMC, a smaller sales base (in the case of F-body stuff) adds cost, as there are fewer units to amortize the R&D on, and I'm sure that Koni shocks have some "premium" componentry contained within them.

Another BUT....Koni is not some small, specialized, niche manufacturer that makes a few hundred shocks a year.They are a HUGE corporation, owned by an even larger manufacturing corporation, so I'm sure that they are purchasing their raw materials and components as efficently and cost effectively as possible.

It just makes me wonder.......
Old 08-11-2008 | 08:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

How many shocks have a lifetime warranty that's actually supported? How many have the adjustable spring perch? How many that are adjustable actually adjust the piston vs. just a cheap bypass valve?

Look for all the reasons you want, there just isn't anything equivilent. I mean, you either pay for your Z06... or you don't--right? Nobody is forcing you to, but you gotta pay to play. And R&D and the parts involved do matter, which is why you don't see half-hearted "I like them" and 1/4 of folks not liking them like you find with other dampers.
Old 08-11-2008 | 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Well this sucks. I'll just have to wait a little longer to get mine. Oh well can't help it if the producer raises the price.

Quick Reply: Koni prices going up Sept 1.