Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranos and konis overkill for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's the misconception that I think many people naturally have. "Shocks that perform better are stiffer and harder on the street". It's not the case especially for the Strano springrates. I think there's some people getting into the 800 front and ~200 rear springrates who do some serious road racing, and given good shock dampening for those springs may be pretty rough on the streets. But the 550 front and 150 rear is very much livable if the shocks have the right dampening. I drive mine every day. I've been testing out different cars. I'm constantly being re-amazed at how comfortable my Camaro is over many of these cars who are on stock suspension.

I'm not trying to jump on any bandwagons at all or following any group here. I'm the type of person who makes my own judgements on my own.
hey i am just saying if someone only drives on the street and doesnt value what the koni's offer ..there are other options...my car is a DD and i am going with strano springs and koni SA..i personally believe "why skimp on performance." and i believe that the sam springs/konis will suit me very well for where i want to take my car. Alot of people also have the misconception that its koni or nothing..thats all
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's the misconception that I think many people naturally have. "Shocks that perform better are stiffer and harder on the street". It's not the case especially for the Strano springrates. I think there's some people getting into the 800 front and ~200 rear springrates who do some serious road racing, and given good shock dampening for those springs may be pretty rough on the streets. But the 550 front and 150 rear is very much livable if the shocks have the right dampening. I drive mine every day. I've been testing out different cars. I'm constantly being re-amazed at how comfortable my Camaro is over many of these cars who are on stock suspension.

I'm not trying to jump on any bandwagons at all or following any group here. I'm the type of person who makes my own judgements on my own.
While I do worry about rates that high for PA backroads, I have to agree overall that it's a misconception about what's "overkill" and what's not.

If someone only wants to drag race, then yes, Koni's are overkill (and less than ideal to boot), but if they want to actually turn the wheel and go around corners, of any kind, then Koni's are the way to go, even with stock springs.

I did some reading and "research" when my car was stock. I wanted improvements to both ride and handling. I also was limited in budget. Stance was not exactly unimportant, but it was lower on the list, and I also didn't want to have something riding rock hard, so I was less concerned about it (stance). I learned that many recognized the stock WS6 springs as actually being pretty good for handling, but were just hamstrung by crappy shocks. So I took the plunge and went straight to a Koni 4/3 combo.

I was amazed the instant I pulled out of my driveway. It reduced brake dive, and body roll, and all around improved the handling of the car in every way. And they do ride quite nicely too.

At first I have to admit I was a little upset by the ride, as it seemed the impact harshness was increased, however, that was just because it was so bleedin' cold in the dead of winter here. The following spring, the harshness went away. It was awesome. And with the windows down, t-tops out and radio on, it feels even better (because you can't hear the bump impacts or the interior squeaking or rattling), it actually feels, rides, and handles like a world class car. (it was like getting a whole suspension - springs, shocks, and sways all in 1 package, because of how it feels and performs)

And I would go through Sam to get them vs any other outlet, he is super picky about what he carries and why, cars immensly about his customers, provides great service, and above all else, knows his stuff through first hand experience.

So no, Koni's are not overkill, they are borderline necessary. Bilsteins are good too, I'm sure, and from what I've see are a touch more comfy, but a touch less capable in handling, but as noted above, not that great when it comes to lowering springs.

Oh, and you can improve your stance for "free" when you get Koni's too (the SA's at least) because you can go to the lower perch up front and pull the rubber isolater from the rear. Can't do that with any other brand.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO its the perfect DD with just Konis on stock suspension, far better than before...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

How different are stock WS6 springs from the Trans Am ones?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Launching!

I appreciate all the feedback and info, made my decision and ordered strano's HP1 kit today..just in time
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

I've had a couple of set-ups before I got the complete Strano package.

First, I had stock suspension, and then bought a set of Strano swaybars. Big difference in reduced body roll there, but I still wasn't satisfied, so I decided to buy a set of Bilstein HD's. I felt a nice difference in the car, more control on taking turns, a bit less nose dive on braking, and I was happy for a while.

Then, I decided to buy a set of Koni SA's (4/4's) and installed them on the lower perch for the fronts and did the heater hose mod on the rears. It was a pretty noticable upgrade from the Bilsteins once I had the settings to my likings. Even more of a controlled feeling around turns, the shocks seemed to be doing a much better job of doing their job (damping), plus it was really comfortable to DD, believe it or not.

Then, I finally added the Strano springs and that was the final addition to my suspension. These springs reduced the nose dive during hard braking, gave me the impression that it kept the car planted better to the road, and the ride was affected a bit. Not necessarily a harsher ride, but firmer.

Overall, I feel the biggest difference was adding the shocks (Koni's) from all my suspension mods. But I definetely felt the difference with each "step".

Currently, I'm really happy with the way my car rides and handles with Sam's products. Is it for everybody? No. Are you less of a person or a car enthusiast because you go with a prokit and a set of KYB's? Give me a break. It's all about personal preference, how deep your pockets are (or how badly you want a mod), and what your goals are with your car. Believe me, I don't have deep pockets (college student), so I had to wait and save to be able to afford this set-up (just ask Sam), but I feel it was worth it.

I will say this, if you've got really bad pot holes and huge speed bumps in your area that you just can't get around, then I probably wouldn't consider dropping your car.

Anyways, that's my .02.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

I know college students who drive heads/cam/turbo Corvettes.......
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I know college students who drive heads/cam/turbo Corvettes.......
Good for them. The majority of us college students are pretty limited on funds though. Me being one of them.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
So I took the plunge and went straight to a Koni 4/3 combo. I was amazed the instant I pulled out of my driveway. It reduced brake dive, and body roll, and all around improved the handling of the car in every way.

At first I have to admit I was a little upset by the ride, as it seemed the impact harshness was increased, however, that was just because it was so bleedin' cold in the dead of winter here. The following spring, the harshness went away. It was awesome.
That was my experience, too, when I put the Konis on the front during winter. They hit the bumps jarringly compared to the previous Bilsteins, but it got better when the weather warmed up. But will it become super-harsh all over again this winter?

Handling was noticeably improved. What I REALLY like about the Konis is how they handle rough roads and bumps at speed. They just gobble them up. The car never loses its composure.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Well worth the money to me.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO
That was my experience, too, when I put the Konis on the front during winter. They hit the bumps jarringly compared to the previous Bilsteins, but it got better when the weather warmed up. But will it become super-harsh all over again this winter?
Yes it will. They really don't like the cold. Seems even 60F is pushing it, but I'm sure many others would claim differently (seems a lot of guys here don't mind a harsh ride).

But that's partly why I have a daily drive, I just garage the car and drive the DD. I will take the car out on occasions on nice dry days (when there is no salt on the roads), but I just have to live with the increased impact harshness from the shocks and increased rattles from the shrunk/cold interior. Once it gets warm again though, it's all good - especially if you pull the t-tops, drop the windows, and crank the stereo. lol
Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

ALL shocks get "stiffer" when it's cold because just like your motor oil, the shock oil thickens. Also the rubber bushings in the bottom get harder, the tire sidewalls don't flex as easily..... fwiw.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

That's it, I'm installing some heating material on my shocks and bushings.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Krab
Good for them. The majority of us college students are pretty limited on funds though. Me being one of them.
Stop being a cheap bastard and go buy a c6 for a college daily driver
Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say there are overkill only if you drive in areas with poor roads. i DD my car with the strano/koni setup. its very comfortable until you start getting on rough roads. i live in teh NY/NJ area though but i don't regret it at all. i have high tolerance though. where are you from?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i'd say there are overkill only if you drive in areas with poor roads. i DD my car with the strano/koni setup. its very comfortable until you start getting on rough roads. i live in teh NY/NJ area though but i don't regret it at all. i have high tolerance though. where are you from?
I live in western New York, where we have two seasons....Winter and construction.

Winter is where all the built up moisture under the roads freezes, expands and causes frost heaves and potholes....

Construction is where they "patch" some of the results on the previous winter, while digging up and replacing the damage from three winters back!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Overkill no way. I love my koni/strano setup. I DD my car and have had them on the car for two years now and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I live in western New York, where we have two seasons....Winter and construction.

Winter is where all the built up moisture under the roads freezes, expands and causes frost heaves and potholes....

Construction is where they "patch" some of the results on the previous winter, while digging up and replacing the damage from three winters back!
then you'll probably be better off with something softer
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill put it this way...get them before the price goes up...talk to sam
Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's and Strano's overkill? No way!! If your road conditions suck I would still at the very least get the Koni's. It is simply amazing how much better the car rides with them installed and you can tune them to whatever mood your in.

Quick Reply: Stranos and konis overkill for a DD?