Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranos and konis overkill for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stranos and konis overkill for a DD?

What the title says basically. Do you think the Koni's are overkill for a DD Z28 or are they well worth the price?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

i do believe it is well worth the price but some will beg to differ nothing is better than a nice ride.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Overkill? Yes. But so is a 300-hp V8 DD. I just got KONIs for my DD. It'll be rare that I'll ever run them to their limit, but it's cool knowing that I have that capability (for fun!) whenever I want.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

I'm gunna be getting em for mine.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I have the Strano springs, swaybars and Koni's, it's the best mod I have on my car. It handles awesome and rides very well. I definitely wouldn't want to have to go back to the old factory setup.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

definitely not.

Konis are up there on the best mod possible you can do for this car.

Its not just the handling aspect, they change everything about the car for the better. Feel, stability, better ride, predictability, etc.....
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

i'm doing it all to my car next week... I just did the Strano springs last night...WOW!!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

its only overkill if you thinks its overkill. but your car is going to handle a lot better with that setup on there so therefor whos to say its overkill haha.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely not overkill. I find strano/koni more comfortable than many high performance car's stock suspensions like the STI or e46 M3. It's around the range of a sport suspension bmw depending on which model you're talking about.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I find strano/koni more comfortable than many high performance car's stock suspensions like the STI or e46 M3. It's around the range of a sport suspension bmw.
I've never driven a Bimmer, but my buddy has, and he's compared my car with Strano suspension to a BMW . Firm, but smooth ride, controlled, precise ...

... yeah, I could go on .

I bought my Strano setup for the track, but the car rides so beautifully on the streets ..... it's a shame it wasn't this good from the factory!!

I just read in another currently active thread that Bilstein's offer a slightly "softer", but still improved ride over stock, than Koni's, and at a lower price . But if you've got the budget for the Koni's, you won't regret them .
Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dd Mine and have Strano.UMI/Koni set up

BTW, It's the sh*t.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

id say overkill. you really dont need such adjustability for a daily driver. plus, depending on your local road conditions and exhaust setup, it may lower you so much you end up scraping on everything. did with mine. i autox/race my TA, so i wanted the best susp. if i daily drove her, especially around here, i would never do it. if you want it lowered, and some better handling, id think you could save alot of money by going with something along the lines of bilsteins and springs, maybe pro-kit or hotchkis.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree that it's the way the car should have come from the factory.

Sure a car with adjustability isn't needed for a daily, but the thing is there isn't really any other options to get the perfect dampening for the car other than Konis. The 2nd choice KYB's I've heard are a bit more harsh, and I believe it since the one **** raises the compression as well as the rebound. There's a reason why so many people heavily encourage others to buy konis.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

But all the experts say there is no other shock that will properly dampen lowering springs with higher than stock rates.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
I'd say overkill. You really dont need such adjustability for a daily driver..... Plus, depending on your local road conditions, if I daily drove her, especially around here, I would never do it. If you want it lowered, and some better handling, I'd think you could save a lot of money by going with something along the lines of Bilsteins and springs, maybe Pro-kit or Hotchkis.

I agree....especially when taking "local road conditions" into consideration. I've thrown a few unpopular comments into the "Koni Price Increase" discussion, and believe me, I'm not trying to be argumentitive. I'm simply weighing the decision as to whether a set of $1000 shocks will actually show any improvement in ride/handling on the crappy roads here in western New York, and to a certain degree, questioning why they're twice the price of most other setups to begin with.

I currently have the Pro-Kit/Bilstein set up on my Z-28. I went to it from the Pro-Kit/DeCarbon set up that I started with. Yes, I was able to do a back-to-back comparison, because I felt the OE shocks, that weren't that well suited to the Eibach springs to start with, were probably a bit worn anyway. Therefore, I was changing to something else, and "bit the bullet" and spent $400 on the Bilsteins. Yes, they were much better! However, it would cost me almost $1000 just to see if the Konis were even better. I don't know how you guys allocate your money, but I don't have the funding to try it out, just for grins...

Keep in mind, however, that I'm probably a lot older than most of you guys here, and I'm used to buying performance shocks, even Konis, for a lot less money. I'm well aware of the "Corvette tax", that adds a lot of $$ to Corvette parts, I'm just a little surprised that it's trickling down to F-bod parts. I don't see these prices being charged for (gasp!) Mustang stuff.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

personally I am for sure going strano springs and i am 98% i will get koni springs on my DD..only because i am looking into AutoX, road racing and drag racing...if i just had a street machine that would never see autoX or courses ..then why bother with the konis..i herd blisteins are back in stock..just some food for thought.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Not that I'm defending the Koni stance, but here's pricing for 94-00 Mustangs....
Qty Part No Name Price Total Update Delete
8742-1122-Sport 94-00 Mustang, All Models (except IRS.) Koni Sport Front Strut Assembly $279.30 $558.60
8042-1134-Sport 94-00 Mustang, All Models (except IRS.) Koni Sport Rear Shock $269.01 $538.02

T O T A L S
Sub Total $1,096.62
Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Camaro front shocks are a lot more complicated than most others. They are big, and because GM covered the shock towers the way they did, require the "hats" to access the adjuster vs. just the **** like most Koni's (including the 4th gen rears) use on the externally adjustable shocks.

I find it pretty funny how those who don't have Koni's say "it's overkill".... Those that do don't think so at all. FWIW, many who have Koni's have had other things in the past and can compare and contrast as they basically have worked up through the shock food chain, so to speak. Further, notice how the descriptions tend to vary. Koni owners tend to offer more explanation and detail about how the car feels. They just don't say "it's great" or something equally vague. That's generally because they have experienced the differences and can elaborate on them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But like anything you might want to assess the opinions and the background information surrounding them..... What have folks you are hearing from tried? What are they telling you? Is it at all specific? Etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by shady milkman
personally I am for sure going strano springs and i am 98% i will get koni springs on my DD..only because i am looking into AutoX, road racing and drag racing...if i just had a street machine that would never see autoX or courses ..then why bother with the konis..i herd blisteins are back in stock..just some food for thought.
They are... in fact I have Bilstein's in stock. They do cost less... they also aren't adjustable and not all that well suited for lowering springs. fwiw

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shady milkman
...if i just had a street machine that would never see autoX or courses ..then why bother with the konis..
That's the misconception that I think many people naturally have. "Shocks that perform better are stiffer and harder on the street". It's not the case especially for the Strano springrates. I think there's some people getting into the 800 front and ~200 rear springrates who do some serious road racing, and given good shock dampening for those springs may be pretty rough on the streets. But the 550 front and 150 rear is very much livable if the shocks have the right dampening. I drive mine every day. I've been testing out different cars. I'm constantly being re-amazed at how comfortable my Camaro is over many of these cars who are on stock suspension.

I'm not trying to jump on any bandwagons at all or following any group here. I'm the type of person who makes my own judgements on my own.

Quick Reply: Stranos and konis overkill for a DD?