Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Hot or Cols formed sway bars?
Hot
66.67%
Cold
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Cold or hot formed sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cold or hot formed sway bars?

Which is better? And why is Spohn the only one out there making a rear 1" sway bar with poly bushings that fits in stock mounting locations?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Which is better? And why is Spohn the only one out there making a rear 1" sway bar with poly bushings that fits in stock mounting locations?
its for drag racing only.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot formed, then quenched with an oil bath is best. The oil bath will harden the exterior of the metal, making it more resistant to bending. This allows you to have a smaller bar with the roll stiffness of a larger one.

BTW, Spohn isn't the only one. Hellwig makes a 3/4" and 7/8" bar that is adjustable to be stiffer than a 1" non-adjustable bar. It doesn't "mount in the stock locations", but it uses existing holes and hardware. If you can switch out a regular swaybar, then you can put this in.

I use it for autox and road racing. But, I'd imagine this will be a killer setup for the strip. After all, how many street-friendly, stock-ish rear bars allow you fine tune your roll stiffness at the track?

Here are some pics:

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

First off, we sell 1" rear bars.... and you can even get them in hollow versions.

Second, the hot vs. cold bent.... The only reason some "hot" bend bars is due to material. Chrome-Moly is more brittle than mild steel and needs to be heated to bend. And fwiw, all steel is heated. Our material is heat treated when it's made, not when the bar is bent. And becaue we use mild steel we don't need to re-heat it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

^^^Cool, thanks for the info!

00 Trans Ram can you post up more info on this sway bar? Cost, how to set-up and adjust to how your car is reacting?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are $259 plus shipping, I think. You can PM Trackbird to see about ordering one.

As for setup and adjustment, it's very easy. You simply remove the bolt on the arm, move it forward/back and reattach.

As for the why, I can only respond from a road race/autox perspective - I'll let a drag racer respond from that perspective. Let's say you want to dial out a tight condition. I had this recently on a track that was green (just been rained on). The rear of my car hs both mechanical grip (from the tires and weight of the car) and aero grip (from the wing). The front of my car just has mechanical grip.

Because the track was less-than-grippy, I lost some mechanical grip both front and back. For the sake of arguement, let's say I lost 10% of my mechanical grip. On the front, I lost 10% of overall grip. But, on the back, since I have aero grip also, I may have only lost 5% of overall grip. This means that I now have more grip in the back than the front.

So, I wanted to loosen the car up. To loosen the car up, you want a stiffer rear bar. There's a very technical explanation why, but I usually get confused when explaining it, so I try not to! To stiffen up this bar, you simply shorten it by moving the bolts one hole in.

When I did this on the track, I then had a neutral car again to go qualify. Plus, once some rubber had been laid down by the afternoon race, I was able to readjust the rear bar again to tighten it up so that my car wasn't too loose during the race.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"OOTransAM", nice pictures of that rear bar set up. I like those Hellwig end links.

Although not quite "on topic", I recently put a Hellwig rear bar on my GMC 4x4. It had the same style links, and they make adjustments very easy.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

I wonder how that Hellwig would hold up at the dragstip with 500+ rwhp.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see no reason why it wouldn't hold up just fine. The bar itself is just as strong or stronger than any other bar. The brackets holding it to the axle are very beefy, as are the U-bolts. The bolts that are in shear configuration (chassis mount and the adjustable bolt on the bar) are 5/8" Grade 8 bolts, if I remember correctly. Those are the same size as the ones that hold in most aftermarket LCAs (Madman, Spohn, BMR), and larger than the bolts that hold the shocks.

BTW, Hellwig is the supplier for all Border Patrol 4x4 vehicles. They utilize the same production techniques on a bar for our cars as they do for those vehicles. I can't imagine that we put more stress on a swaybar than some 4x4 jumping dunes in New Mexico.