Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G2 springs + Koni SA 4/3 = rear bottoms out

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
Yes, Made by Hypercoil for us. 180-225 Progressive. excellent spring with a lot of development work on the track.
And that is rear spring rate. Before you know it people start saying that the front rate.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same set up. My car is the same way it will bottom out and hit the fender lip and bump stop on big bumps...right side only. I will be getting that Watts Link and ditching the PHR as soon as a couple people has reviewed it. I think due to the geometry of the rear end when using a PHB it pushes the rear end to the passenger side of the car on big bumps (spring comperssion) and is the reason for rubbing the fender lip. As for it hitting the bump stop I think that is just because the G2's put the car so low there isn't much travel and I guess that is part of the give and take for being low.

Let me know what you other guys think that have a similar set up. BTW I rolled my fenders due to the big time rubbing, I guess not enough because there is still a little rubbing (hopefully the Watts fixes that)....all that being said my wheel combo isn't exactly stock either, see sig.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Roll the fenders, beat the inner wheel wheels, etc. That spring is not soft. if you have a full tank of gas, trunk full of stuff and a passenger, I can make coilovers rub.

And yes, 180-225 REAR spring rate.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you have the SA Koni's adjusting them will not help because the adjustment is for rebound, not bump.

How high is your car sitting (measured at the fender). My 1998 SS sits at 26.75 inches in the rear measured at the fender and I use 150 lb springs. I do get into the jounce bumper once in a while, it's not a big deal because that's what it was designed to do. If you remove it, then the the shock or the frame become the limiter in Bump Travel, neither is a good thing.

I'd suggest that you get a set of SS jounce bumpers and remove the aluminum spacer. They are a little narrower and a little more compliant so when the axle does get into them then it won't be as hard of an impact.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louis
Roll the fenders, beat the inner wheel wheels, etc. That spring is not soft. if you have a full tank of gas, trunk full of stuff and a passenger, I can make coilovers rub.

And yes, 180-225 REAR spring rate.

Louis I wasn't slamming the spring I just wanted to add my experience with the same set up. I agree I usually dont bottom out at all, only when hitting really large bumps. I do have to say I did bottom out often on my way to the LSX shoot out last year but I did have a bunch of stuff in the trunk. I did roll my fenders but that is a wheel tire combo issue, has nothing to do with the springs. Just for the record I really like these springs, the handling is good and the stance is perfect. What comes along with having a stance like that is less availble wheel travel and I guess hitting the bump stops every now and then goes with that.

Last edited by 02SOMLS1WS6; 09-02-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

I know But people take things literally around here........ And lol @ "Slamming the spring" Good play on words!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
DF
Teching In

Well I just measured my rear ride height from the ground to the fender. Left=26.5". Right 25 7/8"

The right side is lower than the left at baseline. The measurements were dont with a full tank of gas and empty interior. no donut no jack empty trunk.

Any thoughts why this may be the case? Ill be looking under the car later in the week to check the spring direction/ spring perch. Ill also check to see if it may be the pan hard hitting something when i drive over high road irregularities. The thud may not be chassis v. axle contact.

TIA

Quick Reply: G2 springs + Koni SA 4/3 = rear bottoms out