Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

5th-gen IRS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5th-gen IRS

does anyone know yet whether or not the IRS in a 5th-gen will be able to be swapped into a 4th-gen relatively easy, or at least easier than the guy on here that used a C4 Vette IRS? or is it still too soon to tell?

if it's even a remote possibility, i'll probably wait and see how hard/time consuming/expensive it will be.....but if it's absolutely not going to be an option, i'll probably be going with the new f-body watts link, once i can save up the money.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c4 is definately easier and less time consuming and requires a lot less fab work mainly due to the c5 irs having the trans mounted right to it. more then likely it wont be an option unless you plan on lots of $ lots of time and lots of fabrication.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

i'm not talking about a C5 vette IRS, i'm talking 5th-gen f-body IRS, as in, the one that is going to be installed from the factory on the new camaros
Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think that it might be a little "iffy", since the 5th gen car is on a completely different floor pan. However, have you been able to look at a Pontiac G8 sedan? I believe that's riding on the same floor pan that the new Camaro will be on.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the new Camaro shared the same platform as the GTOs.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

oh my bad. it might be possibly but i still think your going to have to modify the floorpan and stuff to make it alll work. i havent been able to see the underneath of the 5th gens yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelg589
I thought the new Camaro shared the same platform as the GTOs.
nope, they're on the G8 Zeta chassis
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fact that you're waiting to see how much it'll be also means that you're waiting for someone to wreck a brand new 5th Gen ...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
does anyone know yet whether or not the IRS in a 5th-gen will be able to be swapped into a 4th-gen relatively easy, or at least easier than the guy on here that used a C4 Vette IRS? or is it still too soon to tell?

if it's even a remote possibility, i'll probably wait and see how hard/time consuming/expensive it will be.....but if it's absolutely not going to be an option, i'll probably be going with the new f-body watts link, once i can save up the money.
Yeah I mean... what is the reason why you are considering or asking the question? What are you doing with the car? The solid axle with the torque arm setup handles pretty well and is competitive for all kinds of racing.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
the fact that you're waiting to see how much it'll be also means that you're waiting for someone to wreck a brand new 5th Gen ...

I hope that he can be patient.....they've been promising that the car will be out "soon", for the last 4 years...........
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28bryan
.... The solid axle with the torque arm setup handles pretty well and is competitive for all kinds of racing.

I agree, as long as the road/track is smooth. Once it gets a little bumpy, an IRS has it all over a solid rear like a tent.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As stated above, a properly setup solid axle is pretty much fine for any type of driving or racing. The bumps have to be pretty major to upset the axle enough to allow IRS to hafe a distinct advantage. When I race against Vettes, I don't get anymore out of shape than they do even when I run over the rumble strips in corners.

As for the G8 IRS - fuggedaboutit. There is no way that you're going to make it work without cutting the entire rear of your car off. I looked at mine (G8GT) the other day, and it's attached completely differently.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

It'd probably be cheaper to just buy a new Camaro.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
not necessarily, you should still be able to buy the parts separately.....but even so, you know that there is always gonna be some dumbfuck that has to go out and buy the newest thing when it comes out, then doesn't respect the power and wraps it around a tree.

it never fails, as soon as a new car is released, posts start showing up only days or weeks later of some dumbass that's gone out and wrecked one acting stupid.

but anyway, the waiting is more for taking the time to save up the money, as opposed to waiting on something bad to happen.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah I mean... what is the reason why you are considering or asking the question? What are you doing with the car? The solid axle with the torque arm setup handles pretty well and is competitive for all kinds of racing.
IRS is far, far superior in terms of both handling and ride comfort. all my previous cars (the slugs that they were in terms of power) had a VASTLY superior ride in terms of comfort, due to the fact that they all had IRS. i want it again, if possible....if you've never had a ride with IRS, then you may think that a solid rear axle car can be made to be comfortable.....but then you can drive a car with IRS for a while, and you should be able to immediately tell the difference. it will spoil you. i mean, my old shitty hyundai excel (hey, it sucked, but was a HS graduation gift) had a better ride (comfort-wise) than my camaro, FFS.

i don't drag race the car, so i don't care much about how the half-shafts are weaker than a solid rear axle....as long as they can stand up to really spirited street driving and the occasional street launch, it's all good.

the car is mostly a daily driver, and i want to improve the comfort as much as i possibly can, while still being able to handle really well.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
As stated above, a properly setup solid axle is pretty much fine for any type of driving or racing. The bumps have to be pretty major to upset the axle enough to allow IRS to hafe a distinct advantage. When I race against Vettes, I don't get anymore out of shape than they do even when I run over the rumble strips in corners.
sorry, but having had IRS in several other vehicles, you'll never, ever convince me that a solid rear axle will be as comfortable as a car that has IRS, even with the solid axle "properly set up". a watts link may close the gap by quite a bit, but you just simply can't get around the fact that when one side of a solid rear axle goes up, the other side wants to go down....at least, not until you can find a way to defy the laws of physics.

Quick Reply: 5th-gen IRS