Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Strano Spring Owners: How do you feel about the springs?
Like them, would recommend to others
82.71%
Hate them, think Strano is off his rocker
4.21%
Neither, find them no better or worse than other springs
13.08%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had people ride in my car before and after spring/shock installation. While he doesn't claim to be any sort of suspension guru, IMO a friend of mine is very knowledgeable concerning set-ups for road racing cars.... he used to have a turbo MR2 that had Zeal coilovers, rod-ended sway bar endlinks, and it was tracked hard. He rode in my car and said it felt great and even though I didn't tell him yet but I didn't adjust the front Konis and he could tell it needed more dampening in the front.

Also others say it still rides like stock, some can't even tell.... I know one thing is for sure, it killed a good bit of the forwards-backwards dive when I got on the brakes hard or floored it, but it still squats enough to launch. Also stays much flatter in cornering.... none of that being pushed across a waterbed feel that the stock setup had. I cannot wait to get the hollow sway bars! but the Tick M/C is the absolute next mod I need
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after having my Stranos under my bed since January I finally got the installed last night along with the KYB AGX shocks. I HAD Bilstein HD's with DMS springs and it was a stiff ride, but handled very good. Going from those to the AGX/Strano was a night and day difference on how they were while driving. I have put about 20 miles on them and do not feel comfortable going into the turnes with them, I think I just gotta get used to them. Sam no offense to you, but I am still up in the air.

I took someone for a ride today, she was coming from her stock Camaro SS, and she said she did not like how it rode.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Chris--

Allow me to point out you made a spring AND shock change. And fwiw, my springs are overall a bit softer than the DMS's are. You have posted continually today searching for shock settings. And I certainly would not have recommended running the rears at or near full stiff. In fact I'd recommend something more 5-7 front, and 4-5 rear as a starting point.

I'm not offended, just a bit disappointed that the shocks don't seem to be in question. Considering that shock damping is so critical to the ride, and you are running shocks that aren't the best. Frankly Bilstein's while they lack ultimate damping, do generally ride a bit better than AGX's do. Further it seems you are guessing on settings, and on the high side too. I'm not shocked you aren't in love. But I don't know that it's fair to be blaming the springs at this point especially since the the shocks are so up in the air. fwiw.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I installed my Koni's and Strano's this weekend and I can say that my car is 100 times better than stock. I haven't had time to mess with the shock settings, but the car feels much tighter and doesn't dive under braking at all. the car stays flat in the corners and it looks absolutely awesome with the drop. I can't begin to describe how happy I am with these springs. Thanks Sam.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I have had the Koni's and Sam's springs on for about 2 years now, i believe it is. Love em, the drop of the car looks awesome, the handling is spot on. Yeah, she rides a bit tighter, but that is because of what they do, so NO complaints on that.

I have stayed with the recommended settings Sam gave on the install and have not really palyed with shock settings. I am happy with how they are, so have not felt compelled to play around.

Would definitly recommend to anyone, great investment, woke the car up!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dave5514
I have had the Koni's and Sam's springs on for about 2 years now, i believe it is. Love em, the drop of the car looks awesome, the handling is spot on. Yeah, she rides a bit tighter, but that is because of what they do, so NO complaints on that.

I have stayed with the recommended settings Sam gave on the install and have not really played with shock settings. I am happy with how they are, so have not felt compelled to play around.

Would definitely recommend to anyone, great investment, woke the car up!
I see on your sig you have Strano Springs, Koni 4/4s and Strano Sway Bars. Did you install those all at once? I'm thinking about picking up some Strano Sway Bars and I don't really hear from people with those particular springs and shocks, let alone a guy with all three!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, I happen to run Sam's springs, bars and Koni's..... I'm surprised to hear you say you can't find someone with all 3 there are a lot of folks with the combination.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to install mine...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, I happen to run Sam's springs, bars and Koni's..... I'm surprised to hear you say you can't find someone with all 3 there are a lot of folks with the combination.
Well I haven't really been asking people, I've just been looking at mod lists in peoples sigs. I'm getting ready to install my springs and shocks and I'm really wanting to install Strano sway bars too. I was thinking about making a thread asking people what they think about their Strano springs, Strano sways and Koni 4/4s but I don't think I will. If if the sways are built by Strano they gotta be good!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont personally own Strano springs but have ridden in two cars with them. Great product. The only reason I chose Hotchkis over Strano is the slightly less drop the Hotchkis springs are advertised to have.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam's setup is vastly different than stock and does take some adjusting. But once you learn what it will do it is exhilerating(sp). The hardest part for me was trusting to turn understeer to oversteer with the throttle Once you learn the parameters it is very predictable and fun. Come into the turns at the right speed and you will be on the throttle at exit. I often wish I was a M^6car to get that extra input feel but you can still utilize it on a stalled A4 car.....
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I see on your sig you have Strano Springs, Koni 4/4s and Strano Sway Bars. Did you install those all at once? I'm thinking about picking up some Strano Sway Bars and I don't really hear from people with those particular springs and shocks, let alone a guy with all three!
i have all three, when i was waiting for my springs i went ahead and did the sway bars, those alone made a big difference, and with everything the car feels great and its real neutral through turns, i would highly recommend them
Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
i have all three, when i was waiting for my springs i went ahead and did the sway bars, those alone made a big difference, and with everything the car feels great and its real neutral through turns, i would highly recommend them
I talked myself into ordering some a couple days ago!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Hey, is it too late to say that I love these springs?

But, I bought them off a guy who thought they were too low for his car.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Sam,
You can add me to the list in about a week. I bought a new set of your springs off of a member here. As soon as they're shipped I'll install and post up. I'll be running full BMR suspension with your springs and SLP Bilsteins. These are replacing my Eibach Sportlines.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Koni 4/4s, Strano springs (for the LT1 given some extra weight under the hood of my car), and Strano swaybars.

I picked it given Sam's success with his F-body on road courses and the glowing on-road reviews I have found over time. I don't feel it is hype, this is indeed a tremendous package. Everything works very well together and Sam takes the time to walk you through the finer points of install & shock tuning. I have my shocks about 2 clicks stiffer than Sam recommended as a starting point. I found it responded with quicker times around a local course but your results may vary due to driver, track, tires, etc, etc, etc. Even at this stiffer setting I found it very comfortable for a drive from Kansas City, KS to Flint, MI and then on to upstate NY.

I can understand the notion that some would not want to drive a fourth gen on long trips like this. To them I suggest you really need to find a Strano car and check out the ride. Anymore I invite anyone to ride along any time I take a road trip. This package really helped reignite my passion for driving this car. Not only does it handle entire galaxies better than before, the ride is now predictable and comfortable. If you have only driven stock F-bodies, you have no idea how well they can handle and ride.

To be fair I have the special Midwest Chassis fab 9" with his TA and rod end LCAs as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Smile

Had Eibach Pro's on my Firehawk with Sam's revalved Bilsteins. Could not tolerate the ride on our shitty Wisconsin roads. Figured I'd have to go back to stock even though I love the look of the car when lowered. Talked to Sam and decided to give it one more try. After describing the type of driving I do, Sam suggested trying his springs with the Bilsteins and the base F-body bump stops. WOW! What a difference. The car rides great. Very smooth and composed. The harshness and jitters that the car had over bumps and crappy pavement is gone. With the Bilsteins, I'm sure my car does not have the ultimate grip that a Strano/Koni car would have but for looks and general cruising I love my Strano/Revalved Bilstein combo.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

i love sam strano
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the koni shocks set like sam recommended and i will say this, The car handles AWESOME!

The only thing i dont like is it kinda jolts when i go over pavement changes on the interstate, like bridges. Very nice but a little bit rough for a daily driver.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BAN-LS1
I have the koni shocks set like sam recommended and i will say this, The car handles AWESOME!

The only thing i dont like is it kinda jolts when i go over pavement changes on the interstate, like bridges. Very nice but a little bit rough for a daily driver.
Glad you like the handling...

The recommended settings are only starting points, and are fairly aggressive. Have you tried adjusting to best suit you. You have adjustable shocks, I'd recommend playing a bit with the settings. This is exactly why I say the settings are "starting points" and why I recommend and believe so much in adjustable dampers.

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?