Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Strano Spring Owners: How do you feel about the springs?
Like them, would recommend to others
82.71%
Hate them, think Strano is off his rocker
4.21%
Neither, find them no better or worse than other springs
13.08%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Weird thing is that its only on the drivers side that is what i see as being lower than other peoples drop. I looked at it the other day and could not even get my index finger between the tire and the fender. Its very close to being "tucked" under the fender. The passengers side however has about a finger and a half of distance between top of tire and fender. Now what im wondering is how much of this is caused by the car getting hit on that side and bending the frame. Ill hafta look into the structural part of this because i do not believe that the spring is to blame since the passengers side is where it should be. Ill take some measurements and pics and post them up and see what others think.

If you want to see if it's a spring problem, that's easy. Swap the shocks and springs side to side and see if anything changes. It won't unless the upper shock mount on one is just trashed. In fact, recall that most cars sit a little higher on the left than the right side, even stock. It's a complaint many have. So the fact yours is opposite, and even lower makes me think something else is going on.

And in fact hard impacts can bend the shock towers. If it's pushed up a bit, the car will sit lower since the spring is basically located by the top of the tower and the mount.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sam,not to go slightly off topic, but I have koni adjustables all the way around. I bought them on your recomendation and couldn't be happier. Can I adjust the front shocks why they are on the car or do I have to keep taking them off? Its a pain in the butt to adjust the fronts the way I do it. Hopefully im just missing something.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by bobbyd
sam will they be good with KYB agx shocks? also do you have some pics of this combination im going to be ordering some at the end of the month
As good as the AGX's allow them to be.

Springs and shocks work together, but do different jobs. Shocks are spring dampers and the damping you want needs to control the spring rate and AGX's can do that. However, the shocks also have a bigger effect on ride quality in fact than different springs do, as long as the springs are similar in height and rate.

I sell AGX's, and have recommended them. Folks just need to know they are buying a set of $400 shocks and not $800 shocks, and that cost is because they aren't on the same level. I'd hope someone buying a Cobalt SS wouldn't expect C6 performance and that's basically the same thing here.

So yes.... AGX's will work.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ladybird
Sam,not to go slightly off topic, but I have koni adjustables all the way around. I bought them on your recomendation and couldn't be happier. Can I adjust the front shocks why they are on the car or do I have to keep taking them off? Its a pain in the butt to adjust the fronts the way I do it. Hopefully im just missing something.
If they were installed and oriented correctly they are adjustable on the car.....
Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I love mine. Excellent balance of handling, stance, and ride quality. I am using Koni 4/4 shocks.

On a seperate note: I pulled my tire off the other day and it looked like the spindle has been hitting the spring?
Got me there. The springs are the same diameter as stock GM springs (have to be to fit the mount and spring perch) but also shorter and stiffer so they'd actually flex less. Do you have a picture?

If the lower spring perch isolator (the hard plastic spacer that sits on the perch) isn't there, it causes the spring (any spring) to sit crooked on the perch and to bow as it's compressed.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

I have Strano springs and revalved bilstiens and couldn't be happier. The car handles so much better, the rear stays planted and doesn't jump around over bumps. The stance is perfect, it doesn't sit to low, where you are scraping over speed bumps or driveway curves. The customer service sold me on these as well, Sam was so helpful answering my many newb questions about suspension/handling characteristics. Overall great product, and I can see why there is such a demand for them, would recommend and have recommended them to many people.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are the class of the industry. I have an air pressure question for you sometime though Sam.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Either drop me a PM (if it's easy) or give me a ring on the tech-line.....
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Launching!

I dont have aftermarket springs yet but this is an awsome thread to make coming from a well known sponser here. This is what will help you make the best product you can to help keep the customers coming back. Awsome job. One person i know who has them is 100% satisfied with them.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you want to see if it's a spring problem, that's easy. Swap the shocks and springs side to side and see if anything changes. It won't unless the upper shock mount on one is just trashed. In fact, recall that most cars sit a little higher on the left than the right side, even stock. It's a complaint many have. So the fact yours is opposite, and even lower makes me think something else is going on.

And in fact hard impacts can bend the shock towers. If it's pushed up a bit, the car will sit lower since the spring is basically located by the top of the tower and the mount.
If indeed it is not a spring problem, which i dont think it is, and it happens to be a bent shock tower how would i be able to tell how bad it is? Would i need to take it to a frame shop and have them do an assesment? I know for fact my lower frame rail is not where its suppost to be. Its tilting up towards the front of the car, and i had to shim the k frame in order to not preload it while reinsalling it. Anyway any advice you could provide would be great.
Thanks man
Jon
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is some high-tech frame measuring equipment out there. I know Mercedes requires at least some dealers to have a laser measuring frame machine that's something like $150k+

I'm not a body/frame guy, I really don't know what to tell you on this. But if the rails are bent and you had to acutally shim your k-member I'd say its not great.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Launching!

I'm not voting, as I've never owned a set of Strano springs, and probably never will...

It seems to me that everyone says they love these springs. I want to hear from someone that had different springs before these. (besides the Eibachs, as we all know their problems) To me, it seems that everyone that loves them came on here, bought Strano springs because of all the hype, and now they like them, but what are they comparing to? There was a guy in here that said he loved his Pro-kit, and I'm sure he did coming from stock springs...

Don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant to take away from your product, I'm just wondering are they better because you say they're better, or are they actually a superior product?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is some high-tech frame measuring equipment out there. I know Mercedes requires at least some dealers to have a laser measuring frame machine that's something like $150k+

I'm not a body/frame guy, I really don't know what to tell you on this. But if the rails are bent and you had to acutally shim your k-member I'd say its not great.
Yeah perks of buying a wrecked car and rebuilding it right?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by candidate zero
I'm not voting, as I've never owned a set of Strano springs, and probably never will...

It seems to me that everyone says they love these springs. I want to hear from someone that had different springs before these. (besides the Eibachs, as we all know their problems) To me, it seems that everyone that loves them came on here, bought Strano springs because of all the hype, and now they like them, but what are they comparing to? There was a guy in here that said he loved his Pro-kit, and I'm sure he did coming from stock springs...

Don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant to take away from your product, I'm just wondering are they better because you say they're better, or are they actually a superior product?

i had eibach sportlines prior, they looked great, but rode terrible. for the spring rates that Sam provides, they are a usable rate for performance (cornering) driving. where as the eibach springs, both the pro-kit and the sportlines do not provide rates that can compete with Sams' in a performance handling arena. the ride height and spring rates are based off what he runs on his camaro that he competed with and won national championships with. another perk with his springs is they are made from a different type of metal from other manufacturers (cant remember the material) that prevents the springs from sagging (like the pro-kit) and also saves weight so they are also lighter then other manufacturers..

i hope this helps a bit, i dont think everyone knows or undestands all that comes with sams springs and what he put into it
Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Great set up and Sam's service is Top Notch. Even stance on all four corners and great quality and performance. Sam, you can't please everyone, all anyone has to do is search this site and you can easily find a 100 people that love the set up for every 1 that has a complaint. The ones that don't like the set up probably like Mustangs so that shows thier taste!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Totally agree with you.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from SLP lvl II springs and KYB AGX shocks to strano springs and Koni shocks. MAJOR difference for the better.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chaman
Totally agree with you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=54

its a superior product
Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I love the look,feel,and ride quality of my car. I hade the Strano spring, Koni SA4/4 shocks, and UMI chrome moly double adjustable panhard bar for the first 8 months that I had them. Then I added the UMI strut tower brace to reinfore the front end. I first bought this setup because I was tire of the 4x4 look but after driving it for a week it felt like a completely different car. It handle curves like a champ and enhances the overall driving experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh btw Sam's service it topnotch too

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?