Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Strano Spring Owners: How do you feel about the springs?
Like them, would recommend to others
82.71%
Hate them, think Strano is off his rocker
4.21%
Neither, find them no better or worse than other springs
13.08%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by candidate zero
I won't ever own your springs because I'm not a road-racer.
Gotta throw my .02 in whenever I hear this

If you don't want strano springs because your not a road racer, then I'd stay away from pretty much all the lowering springs out there if I were you because strano springrates are actually not as high as a lot of other springs.

In reality I thought I was going to sacrifice a ton of ride comfort when I went to Stranos and I didn't. I think you have to try them really to understand. I'm not saying that all other springs are crap. Some are and some probably aren't. There's probably others that will ride similar to Strano's.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, what is everyone measurement from the fenderwell to the ground? Mine is 25 3/8" on the drivers side and 25 3/4" on the passenger side front..
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

I love mine, and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Out of curiosity, what is everyone measurement from the fenderwell to the ground? Mine is 25 3/8" on the drivers side and 25 3/4" on the passenger side front..
Remember that measurement is effected by tire size. On a stock diameter tire (245/50-16, 275/40-17) most cars are right about 25.75-26" on that measurement. They do vary, just like the cars aren't all the same to start with stock. But on the OD tire that's standard, that's what the normal range is.

Hopefully we'll get some more input from others.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dennis--

With all due respect to you personally, I would invite you to stay out of this thread. I started it to get a sense of what folks feel about my springs.

And yes, it's true that I personally don't trust BMR as a whole these days given some of the actions undertaken on the web including, but not limited to having two threads completely removed, and trying to get a third one added. I do find it odd that most of "nay" votes are from Florida based folks, and that only one of those votes has stood up to say why (which I admire, though I don't agree).

Thank you.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I won't ever own your springs because I'm not a road-racer. Did I down your springs? Why are you getting so defensive? I simply stated I'd like to see people opinions who have owned and tried many different springs.

What does my location have anything to do with my opinion?
Defensive? Ok.

Maybe this will explain it better:

You have never used my springs, and say you will not because you are not a road-racer. That simply underlines how little you understand about this, but does not stop you from posting. I'd urge you gain a bit more knowledge on the subject because you are not only muddying the water for others, but are misunderstanding both what my springs are, as well as how they relate in terms of rate to others.

I am not a road-racer either. The springs are in fact used by more non-racers of any sort than anyone else. Yes, the rates are based of what I use on my autox car, and they do win there. But if you were to compare spring rate specs, you'd find that mine in fact *SOFTER* than many of the street springs I'd guess you'd prefer. But hey--let's not let some silly facts get in the way of a good story......

---------------------------------------------------

As a reminder, the poll results can be seen by all. Everyone can see who voted and how and what (if anything) they had to add via a post.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-06-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have bought from Sam in the past. And I can say in all my cars and all money spent sam is my first choice. Never had a better experience. Just wish you where selling all the things you do today back in the day.

That being said I have major issues with my ride height and springs(1LE). I will be calling you. For a 1" drop.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I don't understand why you still see this as me bashing your springs. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I was hoping my post would get others to post comparisons against other springs they've owned, instead of just saying "I bought Strano springs and I love them!" Hey, that's great, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! Now give me some real life reasons you like them better, and tell me what exactly was different than someone elses springs.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't understand why you still see this as me bashing your springs. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I was hoping my post would get others to post comparisons against other springs they've owned, instead of just saying "I bought Strano springs and I love them!" Hey, that's great, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! Now give me some real life reasons you like them better, and tell me what exactly was different than someone elses springs.

I don't see it as bashing my springs. In fact I don't see where you have done that at all. What I do see is your first reaction was one of complete mis-understanding and short-sightedness. "I don't road-race therefore I don't want your springs". Which just isn't accurate or indicative of how the rates came to be or how the compare to others you might consider based solely on advertising.

I'm all for comparisons. The trouble is not a lot of folks have had more than one set of springs to give that comparison. If I do it, it comes across as self-serving (I can understand that). I'd hope that some that have had more than one set would pipe up too.

The fact is I have experience with lots of cars and lots of parts. In fact I still sell other brand springs too (and many shops do not). I based my rates, heights on both my wants and what I saw as shortcomings in other brands.

Is that to say I think all other springs are junk, they all suck? Hell no. Some are terrible, some are pretty good. Some have good rates, but are too low for those rates to work right. Some have good heights, but rates too soft to support the car properly.

And FWIW, I don't think everyone in Florida is out to get me. I just found it odd that of the complainants, most were from Florida, many had posts patting other shops on the back who are also from Florida, and only one of those voters could prove he actually has my springs. That isn't to say I don't have happy Florida customers, or that everyone dislikes me there. Hell, I was born in Coral Gables and have family in Florida.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam I love your springs and although we never spoke on the phone and I picked up my 4/4's used you have been nothing but helpful with me on here and through e-mail. Everybody who rides in my car says WOW this thing rides better than what I was expecting. Especially when you get it out on the interstate. The stance is perfect and I haven't had any trouble with dragging the frontend. Although it has happened, but it was my own fault for trying to get into the lots I was trying to get into, but hey that is the nature of the beast. I hate hearing people complain about dragging because look what you did. You took a already pretty low sports car and then lowered it some more. What did you think was going to happen from time to time. Then you get the "My car rides rough" statements. Hello have you ever known a F-body to ride good? **** go jump in a 3rd gen for a week and see how you butt feels. If you wanted good ride go buy a Cadillac. Now with that said I don't see how anybody can bash your springs. You don't have to be a road racer to have your springs. My car has never seen a race track and probably never will, but I like knowing that if I want to push it I have a suspension that is going to keep up with my heavy foot. Also with the Konis the ride quality is totally adjustable. It's amazing what just one sweep will do. Mine are currently 3 out from full soft in the front and full soft in the rear and these IMO is the best setup for "my" needs. Also it seems the rear settings have the biggest impact on ride comfort. Now under braking the car feels much more glued to the road. Stock it felt like I was going to drag the bumper under hard braking. After there is very little forward dive.

A+ IMO
Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Now give me some real life reasons you like them better, and tell me what exactly was different than someone elses springs.
If you really want to know, do a search. There's plenty of people out there who switched. I agree a lot of people just say "I have these springs and they are the best because I said so", which isn't really useful if you want to know details, but there's info out there.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe people are bashing a sponsor that is constantly on here to support his customers, back his product and promote it.

When I look to upgrade my suspension, he'll be the first place i will look.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I love my strano springs and koni sa's. I've had mine for i guess almost a year now. I got them for lowering the car and to keep my car riding comfortably. Granted I have single rod ended lca's, phb, umi tunnel mount torque arm, and umi 3-point sfc's, so the chassis is very stiff, but the car rides great on the springs/shocks. I don't autox or anything with the car, I drag race mostly. I launch with et streets off the limiter and cut 1.5x and 1.6x 60' times all night long. I change up my shocks for street to be more comfortable and also alter them when I go to the track.

Great setup, love the springs, the lowering amount is perfect for me.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
I love my strano springs and koni sa's. I've had mine for i guess almost a year now. I got them for lowering the car and to keep my car riding comfortably. Granted I have single rod ended lca's, phb, umi tunnel mount torque arm, and umi 3-point sfc's, so the chassis is very stiff, but the car rides great on the springs/shocks. I don't autox or anything with the car, I drag race mostly. I launch with et streets off the limiter and cut 1.5x and 1.6x 60' times all night long. I change up my shocks for street to be more comfortable and also alter them when I go to the track.

Great setup, love the springs, the lowering amount is perfect for me.
can you post some pics of your car? i want to see just how much a TA gets dropped with stranos
Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

i hope to get your handing package in a month or so
Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the springs,sways, Koni 4/4's and PHB and really love what it did for my car. I also added some 17" ZR1's so I could run a 275 or bigger tire to help take advantage of it.

I have driven eibach (on the bumpstops all the time) and BMR (not as quick and controlled) and DMS and none matched up. I will readily admit none of those setups were on Konis either so that is part of the equation I am sure.

But I think the whole package is well balanced and is hard to beat. A great performing package that is not to radical to DD. IMO it's how these cars being performanced based should have come from the factory. That terrible factory understeer almost put me in a ditch a couple times cause I just didn't realize how fast that LS1 was pushing me

It was my first mod and i would do it all over again.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I LOVE THEM.

With the Koni 4-4 shocks at first I got nervous as the ride was to rough. You can't just soften the shock and think the ride will get better. The ride gets harsh and control suffers if you under-damp springs. So I ended up bringing the air pressure down to around factory spec. (32psi F, 29psi R), doing a home alignment that complemented my setup and driving style (zero toe, -1 camber), and keeping a good amount of damping in the shocks (6 sweeps up from soft F, 4 sweeps=1 full turn up from full soft rear).

With different wheels or tires you may need something different as wheel weight and tire grip/stiffness greatly effect results.

I also have strano sways.

Did I mention... I LOVE IT!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

One note for people have ride height issues.

Alignment and different tire make/pressures changes the ride height.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
can you post some pics of your car? i want to see just how much a TA gets dropped with stranos

i can't see pics at work but try this link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...strano+springs
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad *** thanks thats the same color as mine and same wheels also love the stance

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?