Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Strano Spring Owners: How do you feel about the springs?
Like them, would recommend to others
82.71%
Hate them, think Strano is off his rocker
4.21%
Neither, find them no better or worse than other springs
13.08%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been testing out a ton of smaller somewhat sporty cars lately. I happen to be on my 16 inch wheels with winter tires at the moment. I swear this 4th gen strano/koni combo rides completely stable compared to most of the cars I've been driving. Strano has really put together one hell of a combination with both the Konis and the springs.

On uneven roads (slow longer length uneven bumps) this car doesn't even move. On rough patches of the road, it still rides better than most cars I've been in. Though if the road is really really bad, your better off in a softer car.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

How ironic...

I just got an order from one of the 7 who voted that he hated the springs....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10806723-post183.html
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my 93 T/A last year and at the time it had Eibach Sportline springs with KYB AGX shocks on it. With the Sportline springs the car was hitting the bumpstops on almost any irregularity in the road. Unfortunately when it's spring in Central Ma smooth roads are hard to come by. As a result I considered the car nearly undriveable.

I bought a set of strano springs for the car and the effect was night and day no longer was the car riding the bumpstops. I'd estimate the car has hit the bump stops about three times after installing the springs vs hitting them 3 to 4 times a drive while trying to slow down etc to minimize the bumps in the road.

Eventually I'll try switching over to Koni shocks to go with the springs but I've got a few other projects to tackle on the car before that upgrade. Overall I couldn't be happier with the results so far. For me changing to Strano springs gave me a great handling car that's fun to drive.

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
How ironic...

I just got an order from one of the 7 who voted that he hated the springs....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10806723-post183.html
Thanks Sam for showing me this thread..... As I told Sam already I DID NOT VOTE IN THIS THREAD. I never log off at the house or at work so I think somebody just jumped in.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thank you for publicly stating that the vote with your name on it is bogus. I appreciate it. It's a shame someone would stoop to such a tactic to log a fake vote against the springs.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brewski
I bought my 93 T/A last year and at the time it had Eibach Sportline springs with KYB AGX shocks on it. With the Sportline springs the car was hitting the bumpstops on almost any irregularity in the road. Unfortunately when it's spring in Central Ma smooth roads are hard to come by. As a result I considered the car nearly undriveable.

I bought a set of strano springs for the car and the effect was night and day no longer was the car riding the bumpstops. I'd estimate the car has hit the bump stops about three times after installing the springs vs hitting them 3 to 4 times a drive while trying to slow down etc to minimize the bumps in the road.

Eventually I'll try switching over to Koni shocks to go with the springs but I've got a few other projects to tackle on the car before that upgrade. Overall I couldn't be happier with the results so far. For me changing to Strano springs gave me a great handling car that's fun to drive.

Take it easy
Brewski
How would you rate the springs with those KYB AGX shocks?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
How would you rate the springs with those KYB AGX shocks?
he just gave you his opinion with those shocks. His comments make it clear that he has no other experience to compare to, other then the spring change.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Take it easy
Brewski
Now that's the type of advertising money could never, ever buy.....

Thank you to Brewski for posting a more detailed response and comparison than you often see on forums.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Im not asking for a comparison between different shocks, just if he was happy with the overall performance of STRANO springs and the KYB shocks.

Because right know I cant jump on Konis so the the KYB's look like an ok alternative.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Im not asking for a comparison between different shocks, just if he was happy with the overall performance of STRANO springs and the KYB shocks.

Because right know I cant jump on Konis so the the KYB's look like an ok alternative.

I can't compare the KYB shocks to any others since they were on the car when I bought it but I can tell you the car loves to be driven deep into corners. This comes across especially surprising to passengers who think you're going too fast into a corner etc when in reality the car probably had another 5 to 10 mph to spare.

I can tell you while visiting South Eastern Ohio I especially enjoyed taking the car out on some of the roads in the area with lots of elevation changes and twists and turns. I throughly enjoyed driving Rt 339 between Crooked Tree and Dunganon right up until my wife started to turn green then I had to turn the enjoyment factor down a bit.

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

I can tell you while visiting South Eastern Ohio I especially enjoyed taking the car out on some of the roads in the area with lots of elevation changes and twists and turns. I throughly enjoyed driving Rt 339 between Crooked Tree and Dunganon right up until my wife started to turn green then I had to turn the enjoyment factor down a bit.

Take it easy
Brewski
green as in or green as in she wanted to ..should've asked her if she wanted wheel it
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
green as in or green as in she wanted to ..should've asked her if she wanted wheel it

LOL it was definately and on asking if she wanted to drive cringe... I'm not sure if I'm willing to let my wife drive my mistress

I told her since it was foggy it would be a good idea to catch up with the local a mile ahead of us that knew the roads better

Take it easy
Brewski

Last edited by Brewski; 01-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I bought my SS last a little over a year ago with stranos installed already. Is the backend normally this high? Based on everyones response these improve the handle of the car. I havn't driven a stock suspensioned SS before but right now I do not feel like the car handles well. The backend feels like it wants to roll over. I know the front struts are kyb adjustables and the rears i think are blistein? I'm not bad mouthing these springs either. I just want to get some oppinions before I switch Here's a pic of how the car sits.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSmafia
I bought my SS last a little over a year ago with stranos installed already. Is the backend normally this high? Based on everyones response these improve the handle of the car. I havn't driven a stock suspensioned SS before but right now I do not feel like the car handles well. The backend feels like it wants to roll over. I know the front struts are kyb adjustables and the rears i think are blistein? I'm not bad mouthing these springs either. I just want to get some oppinions before I switch Here's a pic of how the car sits.

SS two thoughts came to mind while reading your post on what could be impacting the rear end. (both make me suspect the rear shocks)

The first is how old are the rear shocks? I'm wondering if the previous owner only replaced the front struts when the springs were installed and the rear shocks need to be replaced because they're worn out.

The other thought is I've read several posts with people contemplating running stock shocks with lowering springs to save money not realizing that the stock shocks wouldn't perorm as well with a lowered car vs on a car with the stock springs. What I've gathered from reading the boards the shocks to use with lowering springs are Koni, KYB agx, and Revalved blistens (no longer available). So I'm wondering if the shocks were replaced at the same time are they wearing out earlier than expected due to being used with the lower springs.

Height wise a straight on profile shot would make it a bit easier to judge but I don't think it looks outrageously high from the pic.

Take it easy
Brewski

Last edited by Brewski; 01-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some real shocks in there and it should make all the difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Couldn't find the greatest pictures to display but notice the height difference. Passenger side looks ok but drivers side looks noticeably higher??? Not seated correctly? It bothers me greatly actually and will have to do some investigating actions. And I will look into better rear shocks. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be you have the spare tire and jack stand on the passager side, which adds lots of weight.

The two shocks the Sams says thats works well with his springs are Koni and KYB AGX. The Bilsteins you have in the rear will not work good with the shocks. Get a new set of the KYB AGX or get the Koni and you will feel a difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the rest of the rear suspension and tell us if what else is modded (if anything.) I'm better it has either aftermarket LCA's or relocation brakets as well, which could also cause these problems.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I remember a few people posting that they had one side sitting higher than the other last year when I was investigating spring options. Unfortunately I can't get the LS1tech search function to work with either of my browsers on the laptop or I'd try to find the threads for you. My guess is Sam will reply here but he also checks his PM's so you may want to ask there as well.

Take it easy
Brewski

(PS. I seem to remember people discussing possibly rotating the spring or doing the hose mode on one side.)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uLs1a
Could also be you have the spare tire and jack stand on the passager side, which adds lots of weight.

The two shocks the Sams says thats works well with his springs are Koni and KYB AGX. The Bilsteins you have in the rear will not work good with the shocks. Get a new set of the KYB AGX or get the Koni and you will feel a difference.
My spare tire and jack are removed. But I will definitely get some new shocks.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Check the rest of the rear suspension and tell us if what else is modded (if anything.) I'm better it has either aftermarket LCA's or relocation brakets as well, which could also cause these problems.
I have Lake Wood LCA's. Rather than that it's all stock.

I remember a few people posting that they had one side sitting higher than the other last year when I was investigating spring options. Unfortunately I can't get the LS1tech search function to work with either of my browsers on the laptop or I'd try to find the threads for you. My guess is Sam will reply here but he also checks his PM's so you may want to ask there as well.

Take it easy
Brewski

(PS. I seem to remember people discussing possibly rotating the spring or doing the hose mode on one side.)
Thanks guys. You all are a big help.

Quick Reply: Strano Spring Owners: Love them, hate them, or in between?