Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Control Arm Replacment or Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Replacment or Repair?

So I read the sticky in the suspension section and decided to try shaking my wheel in the 9 and 3 oclock position and to my surprise the wheel moved about a half inch both ways!

the upper control arm/A Arm(not positive on my part names) moves side to side, so my question is how can I fix it?is the control arm bent?or the bushings just gone bad?

I previously hit a curb pretty damn hard with the front end while fishtailing..and my car has drivin like crap ever since saying side to side on the highway

Last edited by jattgunman; 10-02-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

able to post a pic?

When hitting curbs, sometimes more damage than the upper a-arm could be present, however, I'll just stay on point with the upper a-arm until more details can surface.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Here is a link to a picture/thread I found which shows the same problem I am having except the car is stock ride height
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rm#post8987497

Last edited by jattgunman; 10-02-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not your specific car is it? If not, then there could be some problems on your car that would cause the noise, yet the distinct problem(s) could be different than the link you posted.

From the description it can be several things (e.g. upper control arms ball joint, upper control arm bushings, upper control arm to upper shock tower brace bolts, upper shock mount to shock bolt, spindle, hub, etc). To make it easier for any of the readers to narrow it down, you should post pics from your specific vehicle.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the wheels move side to side its your tie rods. If the wheel moves up and down its your ball joints.

This should be the first thing to check for.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

The link was to some other guy having a similar problem, i will try to get a pic of my car up maybe..

But the wheel moves side to side and I can actually see the upper control arm moving with the wheel, along with the rusty spindle
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the description. In between now and a time when you can possibly post pics, the description should narrow it down to the upper control arm problem. At least since this is the focus at this point, but again other problems may contribute as well.

Now, it sounds like either the upper control arm bushings, the upper shock mount, the shock tower mount bolts, upper control arm ball joint. What also could help in the meantime would be to compare what the other side looks like as well, so a more precise description can be made. So far, it sounds like UCA bushings.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
...What also could help in the meantime would be to compare what the other side looks like as well, so a more precise description can be made. So far, it sounds like UCA bushings.
It could also be broken/missing bolts, either at the upper shock mount or the UCA pivot bolts. Remember, he said he hit a curb.....
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Ok now I that have a good base to start with, although it will be a while before I can take a look at everything suggested I will keep you guys posted,