Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me try to explain using these pics of a stock style setup.

Here's the base setup
Name:  Constrictors1998TransAm9b.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  50.7 KB

The upper shock mount serves many functions. Mainly it holds the spring and shock as a single unit. The inner portion of the mount is the part we are modifying and the outer part of the mount stays the same.
Name:  Constrictors1998TransAm9c.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  29.2 KB

Since the spring part is uneffected, the ride height is uneffected.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

So you are saying that a lowered car never uses the top 3/4" of the shock or even a car at factory ride height?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
So you are saying that a lowered car never uses the top 3/4" of the shock or even a car at factory ride height?
Now you should know better than that. I already pointed this out as well.

You gain that extra compression travel by taking it from the extension side.

Once you do this mod, your wheels will no longer hang down as far when you jack up the car body. Which to me is a bonus. For instance, you won't have to jack the car as high up to change a tire.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Now you should know better than that. I already pointed this out as well.

You gain that extra compression travel by taking it from the extension side.

Once you do this mod, your wheels will no longer hang down as far when you jack up the car body. Which to me is a bonus. For instance, you won't have to jack the car as high up to change a tire.
sorry
Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry
Don't apologize, just tell me if it makes sense yet or if you still have questions. I want to make sure you understand.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Don't apologize, just tell me if it makes sense yet or if you still have questions. I want to make sure you understand.
Ha, sorry, j/k

Yes, I understand now. I needed to sketch it on paper to understand.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, I understand now. I needed to sketch it on paper to understand.
No sweat. I was thinking about this on and off for 2 years.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upper shock mount serves many functions. Mainly it holds the spring and shock as a single unit. The inner portion of the mount is the part we are modifying and the outer part of the mount stays the same.

Since the spring part is uneffected, the ride height is uneffected.
Question about the upper mount. Do you know if the metal molded into the shock portion of the upper mount (blue area) is attached to the spring portion of the upper mount (green area) by any means other than being molded into the rubber? I would like to use the upper mount to locate a factory spring, but core out/drill out the factory shock area and replace the upper shock mount with a monoball like the one pictured? I need a way to locate the factory style spring, but ditch the stud mount and go to a monoball.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount-img_5734.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
Question about the upper mount. Do you know if the metal molded into the shock portion of the upper mount (blue area) is attached to the spring portion of the upper mount (green area) by any means other than being molded into the rubber? I would like to use the upper mount to locate a factory spring, but core out/drill out the factory shock area and replace the upper shock mount with a monoball like the one pictured? I need a way to locate the factory style spring, but ditch the stud mount and go to a monoball.

Thanks
That's a very unusual combo.
The steel sleeve the shock bolts to is held in place by only the rubber. So it CAN be removed, but I don't know if the monoball would be small enough to fit in it.

What shock are you using (Koni?) and what are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Like this:

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com...Race_Mount.jpg

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com...lstein_Rod.jpg
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Launching!

That's a very unusual combo.
The steel sleeve the shock bolts to is held in place by only the rubber. So it CAN be removed, but I don't know if the monoball would be small enough to fit in it.

What shock are you using (Koni?) and what are you trying to accomplish?
Yes Koni's at the shock I have.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of the upper rubber mount all together, but I kinda got ahead of myself and forgot that the stock sping isn't flat so simple cup up top probably won't be enough to locate the factory style spring. So I was thinking of a way to core out the center of the rubber mount, then slice off enough of the factory style mount so use so the spring is located and go from there. But the more I look, the more I feel like it would be overly complex. I figured you have done enough work with the shock mount to know if this is even possible.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Those pics are what I am going for, but I would like to try and retain a factory style spring. Might be a bigger task than I originally thought?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Question

2.5" I.D. coilover springs are the way to go, they're a lot lighter than factory style springs, and you can get them in almost any spring rate.

So why do you want to stick with the factory style springs?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

subscribing
Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still don't see why you want to use a monoball. They can wear out over time unlike the stud mount plus they cost a lot. What advantage do you see using a monoball shock mount combined with stock style springs?

Have you considered how your going to insert the bolt for it? Your almost sure to need the spring below the ball so it's not in the way.

I would either leave it stud mount or else go all the way and buy a coilover conversion for the front (threaded sleeves and collars) and then do the monoball mount. I've had a coilover conversion on my car for about 5 years and they are great. You can fine tune the ride height to exactly how you want it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-12-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
2.5" I.D. coilover springs are the way to go, they're a lot lighter than factory style springs, and you can get them in almost any spring rate.

So why do you want to stick with the factory style springs?
I still don't see why you want to use a monoball. They can wear out over time unlike the stud mount plus they cost a lot. What advantage do you see using a monoball shock mount combined with stock style springs?

Have you considered how your going to insert the bolt for it? Your almost sure to need the spring below the ball so it's not in the way.

I would either leave it stud mount or else go all the way and buy a coilover conversion for the front (threaded sleeves and collars) and then do the monoball mount. I've had a coilover conversion on my car for about 5 years and they are great. You can fine tune the ride height to exactly how you want it.
Here's the deal. I have a set of Strano's springs on the car now along with his bars front and rear. Very nice package and a proven one. So over the winter, to gain some neg camber I get a set of his offset bushings to install in a second set of factory upper arms. In a spare set of lower arms I put a set of the GW spherical bearings and slot the lower holes. So I have pretty much taken the factory parts to the limit, as far as upgrades go (within reason). Then I got to thinking what about swapping out the the upper shock mount to a monoball? Loose a couple of pounds each side in the upper mount, firm up the suspension some. So I call Koni and order the monoball top hats. I sorta forgot about the upper mount locating the top of the spring. All the pics I was looking at were full coil-over conversions (that's kinda of important) So that led me here. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or rewrite the laws of physics. If its more trouble than its worth, I end up with a set of monoball tophats in my parts bin. No big deal.

I could just go to a coil over deal up front, but the strano package is nice and I'm very happy with it. I just didn't totally think this one out before hand.

So am I heading down a one way street or is this worth pushing forward?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI, you'll save more weight by going with small 2.5" I.D. springs (even compaired with the strano's)then by removing the rubber/metal upper mount.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see how it would be physically possible to have the monoball and the stock spring work together because they would need to occupy the same space. I also doubt you would feel any difference by going from stud to monoball.

Your current setup is fine. If you want to upgrade it, I would suggest saving for a front coilover kit ($225 I think, maybe less, including same rate springs that you have now) and then use the monoballs to do away with old mounts. Sell your Strano front springs to make up the cost difference.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-12-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, you'll save more weight by going with small 2.5" I.D. springs (even compaired with the strano's)then by removing the rubber/metal upper mount.
No doubt the full coilover is the lighter package. I don't have any good reason to swap out an almost new set of strano's spring at the moment. The monoball was an idea, turns out not the best one. We live, we learn.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I don't see how it would be physically possible to have the monoball and the stock spring work together because they would need to occupy the same space. I also doubt you would feel any difference by going from stud to monoball.

Your current setup is fine. If you want to upgrade it, I would suggest saving for a front coilover kit ($225 I think, maybe less, including same rate springs that you have now) and then use the monoballs to do away with old mounts. Sell your Strano front springs to make up the cost difference.
The more I am investigating the more I agree with you. I think maybe the monoball could be made to work with the stock style spring, but the end result would probably net you almost zero gain and require a custom one-off upper spring perch. And even then you might end up with a bastardized situation.

Lets say you machined an upper spring perch to ride below the monoball hat, what would that do to the operating range of the spring/shock?

Something like in the pic, but made to fit the factory style spring? (Not my idea, but taken from a post on frrax)
Attached Thumbnails Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount-8212-1126-spa-1_3.jpg  

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 03-12-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount