Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Horrible stopping power...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible stopping power...

Well my '96 lt1 has absolutely horrible stopping power... mostly in sudden stops. I've been told this is usual of an lt1. What should I get to fix this? Someone on another thread mentioned an ls1 setup, but how do I know which parts to get or everything I'll need? And is converting to an ls1 setup simple, or does it require customization?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

You can try ebay. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Don't forget to get some stainless braided brake hoses. IF your car has any kind of miles on it odds are your stock hoses are stretched. There are some nay sayers about this but I realized the benefits or replacing your hoses (even with new rubber type) when one on my jeep got cut from offroading. I replaced just the one side and couldn't believe how much better that brake was performing over the other three that had the old hoses.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This upgrade includes the front calipers with supports, both spindles, both hubs, larger 12" LS1 front discs, and rubber hoses from the caliper.
Is this really everything I need? What about brake lines?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man i noticed a big improvement just by installing some good Hawk pads!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

If your rotors are in find shape, there is no need to change them. If they need replaced, then of course you should.

Brake pads stop the car. Brake fluid transfers the hydraulic force the calipers. Those are the two most important parts in the system. Stainless lines simply flex less as that pressure is put through the lines getting more of the pressure to the calipers. So of course that's not a terrible thing to upgrade either. But a car with killer lines, fancy rotors and crap pads still won't stop.

Here's my page with the LT1 parts: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...ID=5&ModelID=2

It is not complete, most notably we are missing rotors from it. We have a number of rotors from economy minded Best brand (which work well, but aren't as tough) to Brembo and ATE for LT1's as well as the LS1's. I'm sorry the page isn't complete, but I will try and add parts as I get the time. And as always I encourage folks to call me with *ANY* questions.

I'd start with pads and a fluid change. HPS's and ATE fluid will make a HUGE difference.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'd start with pads and a fluid change. HPS's and ATE fluid will make a HUGE difference.
What he said...

I'd actually start with flushing with clean fluid first as well as cleaning and lubing the caliper pins. That way you can make sure your calipers don't have any problems working. At this point you should gain a firm pedal feel. After that, and you still have poor braking power, you'll probably want to change the pads. If you've gone more than 40k miles on the pads you have now, you'll probably want to change them anyways.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you decide to upgrade your brakes we offer a complete c5 brake conversion for your lt1. Here is a link to the page. This conversion will be a big improvement over your existing setup or a brake pad upgrade. Give me a call if you have any questions and i can explain the benefits of the upgrade.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyBrakes.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
If you decide to upgrade your brakes we offer a complete c5 brake conversion for your lt1. Here is a link to the page. This conversion will be a big improvement over your existing setup or a brake pad upgrade. Give me a call if you have any questions and i can explain the benefits of the upgrade.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyBrakes.htm
Just a heads up to the OP, you can fix your problems without buying a C5 conversion kit that's specified above. Unless you want to spend some extra money and get nice looking calipers as well as high speed road race enduring capability then the C5 kit would be great.

You definitely don't need the C5 kit by any means though. If you want to keep it simple, then fluid, relube the caliper pins, and pads will be more than enough to fix your brake problems. Unless you have bigger issues with like the MC,,, which you'd be wasting money on the C5 kit and still have braking issues. That would suck if you did that.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

To jump from a completely stock system with god knows what kind of poor brake pads are on the car to something like a C5 setup isn't what I'd call smart money.

Bear in mind that I also can sell you a C5 setup as well.

Basically it's like saying your car runs poorly and is in need of a tune up. But instead of giving it a standard tune up you opt to slap head and cam on it too. Will it run better? Sure it will--assuming you also fixed the fact you needed a basic tune up at the same time.

This is the same thing. A conversion will give you more stopping power. You'd be putting on new brake pads, and new fluid. Yes, those pads and rotors are bigger than stock. But if you put $20 pads on a C5, it'll not stop great either. Now, most conversions won't come with junk pads and will seem like a tremendous gain, and most of that is from better pads and fluid.

If down the road you feel like you need more power, then by all means investigate C5, or 4-piston type conversions. But don't assume the car can't stop with the stock brakes. It can, and in fact they were road-raced for years back in the Showroom Stock days on GM brakes with upgraded pads and fluid.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For whats it's worth Sam did my brakes on my 00 ss and they are amazing. My brake pedal isn't "soft" like it was before. I did pads, rotors, and fluid all from Sam. I also replaced the calipers and lines. I did the c5 brakes on my 97z also. Once again I went through Sam for the rotors, pads, fluid, and lines. Trust Sam he knows what he's doing. I haven't driven the 97 much just down the road and back but you can tell a difference.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like ill be puting new brake lines and fluid in my car when i do my pads next week
Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

How much do stock rubber hoses actually expand anyway? Is it really that significant?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that I think of it, the car lot that sold me my Trans Am replaced the brake pads before I took the car. Who knows what kind of shitty *** pads they got a bargain on? The rotors look pretty old and rusty, so I'll have my mechanic check them out for me and see if they need turning. As well as some good pads and brake fluid. Thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bingo.......

Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, definitely check the pads first

but if you do decide to upgrade to a bigger brake setup, like when you mentioned upgrading to the LS1 setup, you may as well go ahead and go one step up from that in the process and get the C5 setup, and get even better stopping power while you're doing it over the LS1 setup.

......assuming, of course, you have 17"+ wheels to clear the calipers.......
Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
How much do stock rubber hoses actually expand anyway? Is it really that significant?

They're part of a hydraulic sytem, so they will expand a tad. Will you see it with the naked eye? I doubt it, unless the lines are really in bad shape. However, you have to consider that even the newest 4th gens are now 6 years old, and could have a lot of miles, so that will factor into the situation.

With respect to brake pads, I use Porterfield Racing's HP street compound pads on my car with good results.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

welcome to the wonderful world of the LT1 braking system.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay has the LS1 brake conversions. The Lt's have shi* for brakes!

Quick Reply: Horrible stopping power...