ANy one ever buy a car from out of state and have it shipped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANy one ever buy a car from out of state and have it shipped?

I am trying to find out what is the safest way to buy and have a car shipped that is out of state. I am trying to find a way to definetly not get screwed. How would this process work? I know people do it on Ebay all of the time.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Launching!

I had the person send me the signed title, then when he recieved the money the car was shipped. Another time when a guy had a lien still on the car, I had my bank get involved with the other partys bank, so that there was some kind of trail with a wire transfer showing that I had payed off the car. He then signed the title at the bank and they over nighted it to me. Very scary situation when they want the money before sending anything!!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

They will always want money before sending something. Would you send a car without being paid first?

See if you can get a person that lives nearby to go put their hands on the car, to look it over and see if it even exists. That would be the biggest thing if you sense something wrong. Honestly, trust your gut and walk away if you think something seems strange about the deal.

They have inspectors you can hire for $350-500 that will go inspect a car, take photos, do a complete write-up on every aspect of the car in a report. Well worth it, if you are worried about the car.

Finding a transporter isn't that hard. Go buy a copy of the Dupont Registry magazine, just about every other page in that magazine is a car transport ad. Call around and get quotes. You can view the magazine online here:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...istration.aspx
Old 10-18-2008, 06:34 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a gamble, but Tony covered 99.9% of the "how to do it right". I bought a 1965 Mercury Comet on line. There was a ton of phone and e-mail communication. I did lean on some fellow LS1Techians that lived close to verify the authenticity of the car before sending a cashiers check. I bought it sight unseen besides pics and video. The car was cleaner than it was presented once I go the love bugs off.lol.

Same goes for the 2000 SS we bought in Austin. We were pleasantly surprised. It doesn't always work that way though.

G/L man!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the car if you dont mind sharing???

by out of the state do you mean overseas????
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

I actually haven't picked a specific car yet. I am looking at 3 right now that are in 3 different states. They are all in the united states. one is in washington, one is in florida, and the other is in Mississippi. I think the one in Washington is the best deal, but the furthest away.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Like someone said you can trust you gut,

but just make sure you do something that will keep everything legal and straight..... So if you send a check you should also sign some kind of promise contract or whatnot. Like I send you this amount for this vehicle.... So atleast worst thing happens you got his signature saying he will give you the vehicle if you give him funds.

I have a guy buying a car from me who lives in New York. He is supposovly having a mover transport it for him. And I thought the guy was trying to scam me the whole time until I got a cashiers check in the mail.

I dont even know how the **** he found my for sale post anyways. The whole thing felt like a scam, but in the end I got paid...... But he still hasnt got his car yet..... hasnt came to pick it up. Said the mover got hurt..... I dunno.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am buying a car in Chicago right now. It will be about 850 door to door shipped. I am flying in to look over the car and make the transaction then flying out and having the mover pick it up. Wish me luck.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck.
whats it costing you for the plane tickets?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

$210 round trip
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my only problem with that would be that i wouldnt be able to physically look at the car. maybe you can find someone here would go and look at the car for you and take some pictures. that would be your best bet
Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Yes Sir My Came From Knoxville,tn 610 I Think Fully Covered If Anything Happen Pretty Good I Think With Gas Prices Back Than Check Out My Site U Will C The Trans Am On There I Swapped It Out For A Ls2 Though Cost Alot Of Money But Unique N I DID BUY IT OFF OF EBAY ALSO
Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Teching In

I bought my GTO from michigan. I found it on ls1gto.com. He seemed like a stand up guy,and was. But i just could not risk it. I needed to check out the car
for paint work, bondo and to make sure that all the parts that he said was on it was really there.. so spent the 480 bucks, flew up check it out and flew back.. found a car carrier and had it shipped back.. don't risk it