Charged twice for sales tax in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charged twice for sales tax in Texas?

So,

I decided to buy a vehicle in Indiana and they charged a 7% sales tax on the car i just bought for 23k. The taxes equaled out to be 1600 bucks give or take a few. My question is, will i owe Texas sales tax if i live in Texas (having the car shipped) even though i paid Indiana's? Reason i'm buying like this is im in the military and having my stuff all over the country at the moment trying to get myself back to Texas. If so thats like 3200 bucks in taxes and im trying to avoid that like the plague.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think you only pay the difference in taxes....i dont remember i got my car in pa and im in chicago, i wanna say the total was 8 to 9 hundred but i only payed one time
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I'm hopping i dont have to pay hand and foot for these taxes.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should only pay taxes where the car is first being registered after your initial purchase.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Yeah... thats my problem... Indiana is retarded and charges a sales tax for "letting go" of the vehicle. Then i have to pay texas to register the vehicle that i just bought. So im getting charged twice effectivly.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I bought my signature car in South Carolina and paid that state's sales taxes. When I got the car here in Texas and got the green sheet and inspected it - I had to pay the differance between South Caroina and Texas taxes to Texas - I guess it's still the same (bought my car in '03).
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by addicted2fun
Yeah... thats my problem... Indiana is retarded and charges a sales tax for "letting go" of the vehicle. Then i have to pay texas to register the vehicle that i just bought. So im getting charged twice effectivly.
one sounds like a sales tax, the other (texas) is property tax...

whatever the amount is, you will pay 6.25% property tax on any vehicle you buy. make sure you have a Bill of Sale as well. when you go to the DMV, see who will work with you to make sure if you do have to pay, its for the amount of the car, not the car and the sales tax...

there should be a way you only pay on the difference, if i read it right...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

You should not have paid sales tax for a purchase made out of state . Texas will charge you either 6.25% sales tax or a new residence fee of $90.00 for bringing in a purchased vehicle from out of state . It will also need to be inspected before you can transfer the title and get the sticker for the plates .
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I can't figure out if you lived in Indiana and registered the car there, or if you live in Houston and bought the car out of state. If the latter is true you fucked up big time registering in Indiana. If you resided in Indiana and have moved the Houston you will get hit with some BS fees, but nothing close to the 6.25% tax rate.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 3rd gen was bought back home in MA right before i moved and i never registered it until i moved to TX. i had to pay sales tax on it. at the time, you could just say you bought the car for $1 and pay tax on that, but not anymore. in MA, you pay sales tax only when you register the car for the first time.

for my 4th gen, it was already registered in MA when i moved, so i had to pay the 'new resident tax', which is a load of bullshit.