iPhone: 1st Gen. vs. 2nd Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default iPhone: 1st Gen. vs. 2nd Gen.

Ok...so a friend of mine switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and she is willing to sell me her 1st Generation iPhone for $50 and include the car charger and black leather case. Is that a good deal? I don't know the going rate for the 1st Gen. phones.

Secondly, what's the difference between the 1st generation and 2nd generation?

I'm in need of a new phone and $50 for an iPhone sounds pretty reasonable even though its the 1st generation. It's better than what I have nonetheless.

If I end up purchasing the phone, does AT&T charge to deactivate my phone and activate the iPhone?

Also, since I'm buying the phone from an individual, do I have to have the internet to get it to operate or activated?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no charge for activating the phone. Go by the store and ask for a new SIM card and then have it put in the I-phone. Hook it up to itunes and just walk through the steps to activate it. You will need an internet plan as it's a required feature with the iphones. Plus most all the features of the phone require data usage. It's a great phone man and $50 is a steal. You can sell the first ones on craigslist for 250-400 depending. The internet is a little slower but I still like my 2g iphone over the 3g personally and I work for AT&T
Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ok...so a friend of mine switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and she is willing to sell me her 1st Generation iPhone for $50 and include the car charger and black leather case. Is that a good deal? I don't know the going rate for the 1st Gen. phones.

Secondly, what's the difference between the 1st generation and 2nd generation?

I'm in need of a new phone and $50 for an iPhone sounds pretty reasonable even though its the 1st generation. It's better than what I have nonetheless.

If I end up purchasing the phone, does AT&T charge to deactivate my phone and activate the iPhone?

Also, since I'm buying the phone from an individual, do I have to have the internet to get it to operate or activated?
That's a great deal...take it. I am the owner of a used Iphone and I bought it for $100. There are a few cosmetic differences, but nothing too drastic. The 3G is black on the back and is somewhat rounded. It also has a few differences with the quality of the map application, but that's definitely not a deal breaker.

To answer your question about deactivation, there's no fee to deactivate your old phone, but you will have to get a sim card for the phone and activate it at home on Itunes. I think the fee is around $20 for the new card. You do have to pay for the internet, and unlimited texts, but I use the internet more than anything and I never did on my old phone with unlimited access.

I hope this answers your questions, and I'm sorry for the long message. Again, this is a good deal and you should jump on it. If by some chance you don't...please PM me. My fiance wants it if you don't.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Why do I need a new SIM card? Can't I just use the one from my current phone?

Also, I understand that the internet plan is mandatory when you purchase the phone through AT&T, but I'm purchasing the phone through an individual. So is it still required?

Unlimited texts? Why on earth would I need to upgrade to that plan just for the iPhone?

I8URLS1, why do you like the 2G over the 3G? Does the 2G do everything that the 3G does, besides slower internet?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, I understand that the internet plan is mandatory when you purchase the phone through AT&T, but I'm purchasing the phone through an individual. So is it still required?

Unlimited texts? Why on earth would I need to upgrade to that plan just for the iPhone?

I8URLS1, why do you like the 2G over the 3G? Does the 2G do everything that the 3G does, besides slower internet?
With the way the orginal iphone works you need to put a new sim card in it in order to activate it and they should give it to you for free at the store. You just add the $20 dollar internet package which gives you 200 texts included you don't have to have unlimited texts. I like the fact the back is metal just feels more solid to me. Internet is a little slower but not a big deal really. Trust me you'll be hooked with the internet and all the apps. And you can update it to the 2.2 software and it's just like the newer version.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will have to get the iphone plan no matter what, it uses its own network
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

He pretty much answered this, but I didn't hear anything about the 200 texts plan when I bought it. I bet that's right, b/c I had unlimited already so the plan I paid for was only $20.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Batman
you will have to get the iphone plan no matter what, it uses its own network
It does not use it's own network and the iphone doesn't have any special rate plans other than the internet being a required feature.

There was a lady that somehow had her internet removed and in a matter of 2 weeks ran up a bill for nearly 5k in data charges so trust me the $20 a month is nothing.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
He pretty much answered this, but I didn't hear anything about the 200 texts plan when I bought it. I bet that's right, b/c I had unlimited already so the plan I paid for was only $20.
If you have the 2g i-phone with unlimited internet and text it's $40 and since you were already paying $20 that is correct it would be a $20 dollar increase.

Data on the 3g i-phone is $30 dollars and that includes no text. So $35 to get the same thing you get for $20 with the old one.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

So I can't use my SIM card that I have in my current phone? If I get a new SIM card to put in the phone to activate it, then I will have to input all my phone numbers manually.

My current plans consists of a Family Plan. 1100 minutes, $69.99 plus the $9.99 for the additional line, and then I added 1000 text messages for $9.99. Of course, those are not offered anymore, but would all I need is unlimited Media Net? If that's so, the plan is $15 according to AT&T's site.

So by updating it, it'll be identical other than the color of the cover and the shape?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by I8URLS1
If you have the 2g i-phone with unlimited internet and text it's $40 and since you were already paying $20 that is correct it would be a $20 dollar increase.

Data on the 3g i-phone is $30 dollars and that includes no text. So $35 to get the same thing you get for $20 with the old one.
Yea, what he said. I see no reason for getting the new phone over the old. I use my internet like a mad man and I have 3 pages of free apps. I love the phone. My fiance hates that I got it, but wants one too.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I can't use my SIM card that I have in my current phone? If I get a new SIM card to put in the phone to activate it, then I will have to input all my phone numbers manually.

My current plans consists of a Family Plan. 1100 minutes, $69.99 plus the $9.99 for the additional line, and then I added 1000 text messages for $9.99. Of course, those are not offered anymore, but would all I need is unlimited Media Net? If that's so, the plan is $15 according to AT&T's site.

So by updating it, it'll be identical other than the color of the cover and the shape?
No it's an iphone data plan and yeah not sure how that will work out with your 1000 text message plan it may automatically replace that.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

This confusing. According to AT&T's site, Unlimited Media Net (Internet) is $15. Unlimited messaging is $20. Unlimited for both is $35, which there's no savings there.

I currently have 1000 text messages, which I pay $9.99 for.

If the iPhone requires unlimited internet and it has it's own plan for $20, then shouldn't that be all I need and still retain the 1000 text messages?

But my main question and I may not be wording it right, but since I am buying this phone used, from a private party, not through Apple or AT&T, do I have to have unlimited internet just to use and activate the phone? I don't see why I would if I don't get on the net or use any of the future that requires the net.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
LS7 Member

Why would you buy this phone to not use one, if not the best feature of it?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

The 1st gen is more durable.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

This confusing. According to AT&T's site, Unlimited Media Net (Internet) is $15. Unlimited messaging is $20. Unlimited for both is $35, which there's no savings there.

I currently have 1000 text messages, which I pay $9.99 for.

If the iPhone requires unlimited internet and it has it's own plan for $20, then shouldn't that be all I need and still retain the 1000 text messages?

But my main question and I may not be wording it right, but since I am buying this phone used, from a private party, not through Apple or AT&T, do I have to have unlimited internet just to use and activate the phone? I don't see why I would if I don't get on the net or use any of the future that requires the net.
Our website is not going to list the data plans for the 2g iphone since we no longer sell it. When you activate it through itunes (which you have to) you have to choose the data plan. There will be 3 choices. $20 gives you unlimited data and 200 text, $30 gives you unlimited data and 1500 text and $40 gives you unlimited data and unlimited text. I guess technically your best bet would be the 30 dollar plan. That way you're paying 20 dollars for internet and 10 for 1500 text if you look at it that way. Otherwise if you only add the $20 dollar feature since it has 200 text included it will override the existing 1000 text plan that you have and that is no longer available.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Curveball TECH

First if she is selling it for $50 jump on that RIGHT NOW. If it's in good condition you can easily sell it for 2 or 3 fold as mentioned above. The reason they are holding their value is because the 2g ones have a metal casing, where the 3g has a hard plastic backing.

Next, you might be able to get around the mandatory data plan by jailbreaking the phone. This does of course void all warranty and you could possibly brick your phone if done incorrectly. This is how people were using the phone with T mobile's service.

Lastly, like others have also mentioned, why get an iphone without internet? Either way it's only 50 dollars and well worth it to use it like an ipod touch.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
First if she is selling it for $50 jump on that RIGHT NOW. If it's in good condition you can easily sell it for 2 or 3 fold as mentioned above. The reason they are holding their value is because the 2g ones have a metal casing, where the 3g has a hard plastic backing.

Next, you might be able to get around the mandatory data plan by jailbreaking the phone. This does of course void all warranty and you could possibly brick your phone if done incorrectly. This is how people were using the phone with T mobile's service.

Lastly, like others have also mentioned, why get an iphone without internet? Either way it's only 50 dollars and well worth it to use it like an ipod touch.
Jail-breaking it would do him no good as he's already an AT&T customer and all that does is allow you to use it with other GSM providers (companies that use SIM cards)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Teching In

If you are not going to use internet on the iPhone, save your $50 and dont buy it. Instead sell it to me.

Whatever you are paying right now, add $30 to it; that will be your bill with the iphone, but you will get internet with that. EVERYTHING else remains the same, like texts and all.

You will need a new sim. It doesnt make sense to a lot of us but thats just the way it works. Regardless, $50.....what are you waiting for.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02SStreetmachine
If you are not going to use internet on the iPhone, save your $50 and dont buy it. Instead sell it to me.

Whatever you are paying right now, add $30 to it; that will be your bill with the iphone, but you will get internet with that. EVERYTHING else remains the same, like texts and all.

You will need a new sim. It doesnt make sense to a lot of us but thats just the way it works. Regardless, $50.....what are you waiting for.
It's $30 a month more with the new iphone 3g. I've already explained in detail how his bill would change.